Photo

Do you torrent?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

Poll: .

Do you use BitTorrent services?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 sigtau

sigtau

*sip*

• Members

Posted 26 September 2009 - 03:07 PM

A small survey I'm taking. You can remain completely anonymous. I'm not asking what you torrent, just if you use torrents or not.

The poll data is just for reference, and won't be used to harm anyone.

#2 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 26 September 2009 - 04:07 PM

I could in theory lose my job as a journalist for saying this... but yes, there is a little pirate in me...I do torrent, but mostly shows and stuff that doesn't come out here in Norway for a while... which tends to be often icon_shrug.gif

But then again, I don't really think it's unethical. I mean, is it really fair to have to wait two years extra, just to see what happens to Dexter? I think not... Norway hasn't even started on season 3 of Prison Break yet.

Though, you didn't really ask what we torrent. xD

#3 Eurysilas

Eurysilas

Paladin

• Members

Posted 26 September 2009 - 04:16 PM

I don't really torrent. Too much trouble to set it up correctly, and torrents tend to be rather large (my connection is 60 KBS, plenty fast for regular stuff, but not fast enough for these multi-Gig files I seem to see on TPB all the time).

#4 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 26 September 2009 - 04:17 PM

I have torrented a few games before, but all were games that were made in the 1990s, and would be nearly impossible to find in any store these days. They weren't exactly games that are profitable anymore due to very low demand, so the guilt factor on my part was 0.

#5 Soarin

Soarin

Chosen One

• Members

Posted 26 September 2009 - 04:29 PM

I used to use torrents now i don't mess with it.

#6 Siguy

Siguy

• Members

Posted 26 September 2009 - 05:01 PM

I don't, but my mom does. A lot. It it's a pain. My internet speed will become like dialup and while gaming my ping is hideous

#7 Titanium Justice

Titanium Justice

Justice is served!

• Members

Posted 26 September 2009 - 05:25 PM

My parents tried to download torrents once, but they found that the download times for the files were way too long.
And as for me, I don't use torrents at all, I just find other ways to find files that I want, and if I can't find it I usually just forget about it.

Edited by HeavyTitanium, 26 September 2009 - 05:25 PM.

#8 Fabbrizio

Fabbrizio

Legend

• Members

Posted 26 September 2009 - 09:36 PM

I do torrent, but only things you can't buy anymore. If there's a legal way to obtain something, I try my hardest to do it that way.

#9 Takuya

Takuya

spirit of fire

• Members

Posted 26 September 2009 - 10:51 PM

I torrent. I torrent some video games, I torrent some music, I torrent things. When I have money I buy albums and stuff from iTunes, and games and such.... but I have to pay for my room and board as well as my food and car insurance etc. icon_smile.gif

I'm not that bad though.

#10 Mr. Pimpy

Mr. Pimpy

• Members

Posted 26 September 2009 - 11:00 PM

I torrent anything that costs more than $10. (with the exception of Snow Leopard). Tens of thousands of dollars worth of graphic design software that I'm not wasting my money on, and lots of music and movies. TPB is like home to me. <3

Edited by Mr. Pimpy, 26 September 2009 - 11:01 PM.

#11 sigtau

sigtau

*sip*

• Members

Posted 26 September 2009 - 11:13 PM

Glad to see all the responses on this base.

So far, it's a ratio of one person in every two people on PureZC torrent.

QUOTE(PowerGauntlets @ Sep 26 2009, 10:36 PM) View Post

I do torrent, but only things you can't buy anymore. If there's a legal way to obtain something, I try my hardest to do it that way.

I'm like this. If there isn't a way for me to pay for it at the time, and it doesn't look like that will change any time soon, I torrent it. Typically, I'm a guy who torrents stuff that can't be found in most stores anymore (i.e. older games) much like a lot of you here are.

QUOTE(Mr. Pimpy @ Sep 27 2009, 12:00 AM) View Post

I torrent anything that costs more than $10. (with the exception of Snow Leopard). Tens of thousands of dollars worth of graphic design software that I'm not wasting my money on, and lots of music and movies. TPB is like home to me. <3

Reminds me of how I used to be, torrenting just about anything left and right.

But, there are exceptions to when you can't torrent following these rules even if all requirements are met.

I have decided to go into the professional game design and programming field--something I've found myself to be rather good at. I have reviewed the terms of services backing many game engines, and each engine has a clause similar to the following: If you torrent/warez/etc. the engine, and you use the final product of what you create to make money, then you could be fined around ~$100 to ~$1000 per copy sold.

And since I'm going to be pro-designing, this just can't happen. I'll be commercially selling my work, and that's ... well, not a good idea. Besides, developing my own engine and creating a game with it is an extremely daunting task for a one-man band like myself. Therefore I'd rather legally buy it and pay $100 for the engine once than pay $1000 per copy sold later on.

Not to challenge you, of course. I completely understand, I was just going off on another late-night tanget. icon_razz.gif

Edited by TMS, 26 September 2009 - 11:48 PM.

#12 Takuya

Takuya

spirit of fire

• Members

Posted 27 September 2009 - 12:00 AM

Just an fyi TMS,

No one will really know if you torrented a program or not. If you use a game engine to make a game and sell it, who will know?

Also, if you want to really make a professional commercial game, make it yourself or use a REAL engine. And THOSE are expensive. Games with all these weird game maker programs are ... bleh.

Just some helpful advice. icon_smile.gif Also, have you thought about going to school for computing? Being a game designer / programmer is extremely difficult.

#13 sigtau

sigtau

*sip*

• Members

Posted 27 September 2009 - 10:35 AM

QUOTE(Takuya @ Sep 27 2009, 01:00 AM) View Post

Just an fyi TMS,

No one will really know if you torrented a program or not. If you use a game engine to make a game and sell it, who will know?

You'd be surprised. I don't want any kind of real ... legal issues surrounding what I create. Even if they aren't discovered until maybe several years later (if at all).

Also, if you want to really make a professional commercial game, make it yourself or use a REAL engine. And THOSE are expensive. Games with all these weird game maker programs are ... bleh.

This is just a pitch title I'm working on. Next time around it'll be from scratch, once I have the money to accommodate for game assets that are, well, not free.

Besides, buying a general game engine (such as Leadwerks or A7) that can be adapted to anything shouldn't be as bad as using something like Game Maker to manufacture a commercial game, right? icon_razz.gif

Just some helpful advice. icon_smile.gif Also, have you thought about going to school for computing? Being a game designer / programmer is extremely difficult.

I've been to... well, let's see. I've taken two weeklong courses, one on general game design, and one on advanced C++ programming. I've been looking at the College of Charleston and Virginia Tech's general computer science programs, and though I may not have to worry about college at the moment, it's still a big question for me.

I'm 99.9% sure that you can get a degree in general computer science and get a certification in programming in some language, rather than majoring in one specific language--that way, if I want to change my focus in computing, I can just get certified in another specific field.

And I know that you and I are not strangers to the difficulty behind creating games. It's not something you can do in a week, and it's definitely not something you can do in a month. It takes practice, skill, and good reasoning.

But... let's not derail this further. This is a topic for another thread. icon_razz.gif

#14 ElLibertador

ElLibertador

Love and Peace

• Members

Posted 27 September 2009 - 12:05 PM

I want to be a game designer too icon_smile.gif

Yeah I do torrent. Everything entertainment. At least now I do. I use to buy every single piece of everything I owned. But now I'm screwed and live in this country where EVERYTHING 'legit' is pirated and fake. Clothes, movies, games, etc. I hate it so much. I try to import here but trading money here to dollars is illegal so yeah.

Oh except for games. I like having the box you know. And I never download movies to keep. Plus I want to make games and I support movies, so why would I pirate them icon_frown.gif

Edited by LinkMystro, 27 September 2009 - 12:06 PM.

#15 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 27 September 2009 - 12:14 PM

The first time I've ever torrented was to get a song I really liked for a game and I couldn't find a good quality version that was a direct .mp3 download. So I downloaded BitTorrent and torrented the song out of a collection of albums, but then I used it later on to torrent a couple of game OSTs.

So yeah, I torrent on occasion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users