My Operating System

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#1 sigtau

sigtau

*sip*

• Members

Posted 24 May 2008 - 09:37 PM

It's not Linux, Windows, DOS, or any combination of the three. No matter how much support this OS will provide for these applications, this operating system is one in itself. Yeah, sure, there are hundreds of hobbyist operating systems out there, but I will strive to allow this one to stand out. Alright, enough with the nitty griddy stuff... here's the meat of the topic.

I present to you: EmeraldOS.

Most of you may have noticed my absence from the forums. No, I did not leave for good, or even temporarily, I am only busy with this project deeply. Building an operating system requires patience, the ability to plan things the right way, and much knowledge of how a computer works. I actually have my development tools open right now, I'm so into this project. Instead of this being "just another one" out there, I'm going to let this OS step up higher than normal. Here's the deal on what EmeraldOS is all about.
  • Planned POSIX application layer support (in other words, Linux and UNIX compatibility)
  • DOS application layer (this one will probably come first)
  • Planned Windows application layer (this will come last, and will require a GUI to be built first)
  • Lightweight, installs from a single floppy disk
  • Multiboot compatible (this OS uses GRUB)
  • The floppy disk is not only an installer, it is "live media" (you can run the OS from the floppy)
  • Built in programs for the console and planned GUI
  • The install disk can copy itself to another disk, create a "live USB" flash drive, or install to the hard drive
  • Much like batch files (in Windows/DOS) and shell scripting (Linux/UNIX), EmeraldOS includes its own form of this
  • Support for all major file systems (FAT12, FAT16, FAT32, NTFS, ext2, ext3)
  • Multiple users, including "super" (on Windows, the "administrator account" or on Linux, the "root user")
  • Support for basic DOS and Linux commands (dir and ls, win and xorg, del and rm, edit and nano, etc.)
  • This list will grow as my experience does...
I'm currently working on the basic kernel, and then some basic interfacing will be built in. EmeraldOS is built entirely out of Assembly (or ASM to the geeks) and C. I'll post some screenshots as I get this done.

If you know C, and you're interested in helping (you won't have to code most of it, I'll be doing the kernel itself), then let me know via PM!

And yes, this is an incarnation of my Linux/Windows bridge operating system that never managed to kick off, Winux. But... I named it something better. icon_biggrin.gif

P.S. After today's programming experience, I'm feeling a little like this: icon_freak.gif

Edited by TheMasterSwordsman, 24 May 2008 - 10:18 PM.

#2 Nate

Nate

Magus

• Members

Posted 24 May 2008 - 09:53 PM

=O
That's all I have to say, mainly.

#3 LostInHyru1e

LostInHyru1e

Can you take me as far as PureZC?

• Members

Posted 25 May 2008 - 01:50 AM

O_o

Wow man, looks awesome. I don't know how you code like that. O_O I want to learn, but don't have the patience.

#4 Aaron

Aaron

AKA partymetroid

• Members

Posted 25 May 2008 - 01:19 PM

Simply because of all the effort you're putting into this, I feel very obligated to say congratulations, and Godspeed. icon_smile.gif Most of all, have fun, and do your best!!!

I'm making a video game right now... and I'm just now learning C++ :S. I started learning a while ago, but gave up because I had nothing to do with it... because I do now, I'm remaining very patient and dedicated to my learning.

Again, cudos. icon_smile.gif

#5 Xgadd

Xgadd

Recipient of Ways

• Banned

Posted 25 May 2008 - 08:05 PM

If you need somebody for the graphics part once you start working on the GUI, I could help. I've been wanting to collaborate with the creator of a Linux distro for a while now anyways.

#6 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 26 May 2008 - 01:47 AM

Hmm... I must say, this sounds intresting... I can't wait to see how it actually looks like though! Good luck!

#7 Takuya

Takuya

spirit of fire

• Members

Posted 26 May 2008 - 10:33 AM

That's a very _very_ hard thing to do. So good luck!! I've dabbled in such affairs myself, and trust me, you're gonna want all the kernel help you can get. Whether it's for your GDT, VMM, FDD, etc. icon_razz.gif

I know C, and if you need any help, I'll consider it. I like projects like this. So sure, PM me or IM me (dlu813) sometime. icon_smile.gif

#8 sigtau

sigtau

*sip*

• Members

Posted 26 May 2008 - 03:52 PM

Looks like Takuya is now on the dev team, any more slaves recruits?

#9 TetriTek

TetriTek

Wizard

• Members

Posted 26 May 2008 - 05:14 PM

I am ok at graphics, so I could maybe help with GUI, but I dont really know any programming languages. i have had experience with coding before though, so it shouldnt be too hard to learn a new language. i guess i could just be a very minor contributor.

#10 Alestance

Alestance

Saint Alestance - Eliminator of the ZGP format

• Members

Posted 26 May 2008 - 05:29 PM

I could easily contribute basic icons, but so can anyone.

#11 sigtau

sigtau

*sip*

• Members

Posted 26 May 2008 - 05:30 PM

Note that the GUI won't come for a while, it'll be a text-only OS in our first release with NO compatibility layers for other operating systems whatsoever. We will have support for installing it to other writable media, though, in the first beta. Or at least, I hope so. I dunno what the devs will say otherwise.

Now would be a good time since the first beta will probably rear its (ugly) head sometime in early-to-mid June...

Who wants to be an official beta tester? We're not open-beta testing until the first beta is released to the general public.

Note: The kernel is starting to look good now, we might get some interfacing (the command line) done by this weekend and have it out before my birthday, June 11th!

#12 Alestance

Alestance

• Members

Posted 26 May 2008 - 05:37 PM

perhaps you could use this for some type of logo:
IPB Image

if you want to, do what you need to make it work for you.

Edited by Alestance, 26 May 2008 - 05:37 PM.

#13 TetriTek

TetriTek

Wizard

• Members

Posted 26 May 2008 - 05:55 PM

I would be glad to test it, but how do you test it anyway? do you have to have a separate computer with it installed? because i have a spare computer, not sure if it would work though. and what all would you have to test?

#14 Alestance

Alestance

• Members

Posted 26 May 2008 - 06:01 PM

He said it should be able to be installed on a pen drive, which means you can boot it from there.

#15 TetriTek

TetriTek

Wizard

• Members

Posted 26 May 2008 - 06:17 PM

Would that mean it would be like a program that you run? just to test it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users