Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi

• Please log in to reply
142 replies to this topic

#31 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 14 April 2017 - 05:33 PM

I agree the trailer didn't tell us anything, which was a relief for me (not wanting spoilers). I don't understand why the faces are such different sizes in the poster. What if Luke is saying "It's time for the Jedi to end... this conflict" :P

EDIT:

I'm wondering if Luke found some old texts that caused him to lose faith in the Jedi order, because of dubious origins, and I'm hoping Rey helps him to see past those origins and points out the purpose of using the Force for good matters more than how it originally was taught to people and how it came to be.

My first thought on the "it's time for the Jedi to end" line was that they are going to pull one of that cliché plots where the people are too reliant on their knights fighting their fights for them and thus have to take responsibility for their own destiny without hoping for the Jedis to come and save the day, bla bla. Seems like a contemporary feel good and empowerment myth that Hollywood would go for in some disgustingly cheesy fashion.

• strike likes this

#32 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 14 April 2017 - 06:43 PM

To be fair, as a guy who's studied the lore of Star Wars for a while, there've been a lot of Expanded Universe stories—old and new—where the light vs. dark conflict has just caused so much grief throughout the millennia that I could hardly begrudge the peoples of the galaxy for being sick of their shit, and some of the surviving practitioners of the Force finding a way to rework their meaning.

#33 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 14 April 2017 - 08:41 PM

Should the movie have been titled "The Last of the Jedi"?

(based on Yoda's line to Luke "When gone am I, the last of the Jedi will you be")

Kinda sounds a lot like RotJ though.

#34 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 17 April 2017 - 01:28 AM

Whoa, some newly (I think) revealed SW clips

Tarkin Blooper :XD:  :

https://www.youtube....h?v=7xIBdWBou7w

"Humans" :eng101:  :

https://www.youtube....h?v=4I7jAwuocMw

"Sith Lord" :omg:  :

https://www.youtube....h?v=ja4WudpzBYw

(also Vader's line delivery on "I find your lack of faith disturbing" :bounce:  )

There's a fourth one on the channel, but it's just a pilot using an f-bomb. Meh.

Edited by Cukeman, 17 April 2017 - 01:31 AM.

#35 Adem

Adem

-

• Members

Posted 17 April 2017 - 08:04 AM

I once read this theory about how the Force needs balance and that an absence of either light or dark would, objectively, be considered undesirable. The Jedi, although they fight "for good", generally fight to destroy the darkness rather than to keep this balance. Thus, the Jedi are as unhealthy for the wellbeing of the universe as the Sith, as one side would not be able to exist without the other. Obviously I'm a bit rusty on my Star Wars lore, but I'd be curious to see if the film is heading in this direction. The Jedi, as we knew them, were rigid and set in their ways. Perhaps it is time for a "New Order" of the light to form as well.

#36 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 17 April 2017 - 09:49 AM

The word "balance" has more than one meaning. Obviously the Jedi were speaking in terms of "stability" and "harmony", otherwise the dialogue makes no sense. Increasing the number of Sith in the prequels clearly wasn't going to improve the galaxy.

I'm open to the idea that maybe the Jedi and Sith both project their ideas as the "will of the force" when it could just be neutral energy or whatever, but the idea that having an even number of Sith and Jedi in the galaxy will help anything is absurdly silly.

I don't know the EU, but I think it's a good idea to compare the force to magnetism, and to say that the sides of the force are not "good and evil", but "passive and aggresive" like magnets being positively or negatively charged. In that case finding balance wouldn't be promoting either extreme, but arriving at a more neutral stance, so you're not going too far with the aggression and doing the Sith's evil, destructive deeds, and you're not going too far the other way with protection and being a control freak or whatever.

Edited by Cukeman, 17 April 2017 - 09:52 AM.

• The Satellite likes this

#37 Adem

Adem

-

• Members

Posted 18 April 2017 - 06:54 AM

I didn't mean there literally has to be an even number of Jedi and Sith. That's absurd. Haha. But it seems to me that the Jedi have been a bit too set in their ideals (particularly in the prequels) and "the last Jedi" could be referring to a need for reformation.

If I can find the post that explains the idea in more detail, I'll post it.
  • Cukeman likes this

#38 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 21 April 2017 - 11:31 PM

According to IMDB they've recast Admiral Ackbar and the Wicket Ewok actor is doing something. Interesting.

#39 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 28 April 2017 - 09:38 PM

Rey is: The Lass Jedi

*runs*

#40 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 26 May 2017 - 10:32 PM

So I want to draw some slight attention to this snippet from the Vanity Fair Star Wars article they published recently, just because it's something I think should put many of us at ease regarding Disney's supposed "control" of the franchise:

DAzVpD_WAAANw96.jpg

The short version: Neither Disney nor Lucasfilm enforce a certain storyline upon the filmmakers other than a drive to keep "consistency" within the new continuity, to ensure it doesn't go off the rails like Legends did at times. I'm honestly pleased with this tidbit, it truly allows these new filmmakers to tell their own story instead of being forced to a specific arc that all they get to do is film and add some of their own touch to it.

Makes me even more excited to see Episode VIII, to be honest.

#41 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 07 July 2017 - 03:43 AM

FINALLY saw Force Awakens a second time today. I understood the film much better this time, there's subtle things that mean a lot I missed the first time around. I'm in the camp who thinks the movie is great BTW. I disagree with the complaints about the Starkiller being another Death Star plot because that's not what the film is about. Once the First Order destroys the New Republic homeworlds their goals for the Starkiller are done. They don't really need it anymore. The film is really about Rey and Kylo, not the Starkiller.

Anyway two things I wanted to bring up are 1) that the title crawl in Force Awakens calls Luke the last Jedi. We had the Episode 8 subtitle all this time. That makes it much less meaningful IMO. I think The Last Jedi subtitle simply means we'll focus more on Luke this time. And 2) Leia says she sent her son to Luke to be trained after things went bad between them. Now I'm REALLY wondering if Luke trained Leia in the Force, and she tried to train her son to use the Force, then sent him to Luke after SHE failed. I really hope there's some truth to that because I always wanted Luke to pass on what he learned about the ways of the Force to Leia, as Yoda's "pass on what you have learned" request implies.

I'm MUCH more okay with Leia just being a rebel leader instead of a Force user if it's because of her failure to train her son in the ways of the Force. I really felt like I was seeing some serious personal guilt in her performance when I watched it this time, especially in her conversation with Han. I can totally imagine her putting her interest in the Force aside to focus on being a general if she went through all that. It would be turning back to doing what she knows- something both she and Han admit to doing in this film. I can see the two of them turning back to their former lives after feeling like they'd failed with their son, especially since they probably don't understand the Force as well as Luke does.

The other thing I like about this idea, is that it means Luke WASN'T bad at training Jedis. He probably trained his pupils just fine, but couldn't bring Ben Solo back to the good side and maybe it was Ben Solo and his forces that wiped out Luke's other pupils. Kylo did say he wanted to finish what Vader started, and as Obi-Wan said, Vader helped the Empire hunt down and destroy the Jedi.

Edited by Cukeman, 07 July 2017 - 05:33 AM.

#42 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 07 July 2017 - 12:31 PM

It was already confirmed that Luke's loss of his Jedi students was due to Kylo Ren and the Knights of Ren. I don't think Luke was a bad teacher myself, I think he just realized something was wrong with the teachings he was using, thus leading him to search for ancient Jedi knowledge.

#43 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 07 July 2017 - 05:03 PM

We don't know if Luke's pupils were killed or went bad though, right?

Edited by Cukeman, 07 July 2017 - 05:03 PM.

#44 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 07 July 2017 - 05:22 PM

It's canonically a massacre, though that doesn't necessarily mean some didn't escape/were turned to Knights of Ren before the slaughter. It's so far left vague and I imagine this movie will tell us a lot more.

• Cukeman likes this

#45 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 15 August 2017 - 01:24 AM

I guess creatures, costumes and character names are starting to leak. Trying to avoid them all.

I was so upset with YouTube for BotW. Video titles shouting How to get [SECRET ITEM].

F***.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users