Photo

Map of the Month 82

Sheik

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

Poll: Map of the Month 82 (39 member(s) have cast votes)

Who should be the last qualifier for Map of the Year 2016?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 nicklegends

nicklegends

Trofessional Pransposer

• Contributors
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 04 December 2016 - 09:17 PM

Click here to see this month's maps!

In the midst of some FTP difficulties, I thought I'd try something a little different: hosting this month's maps in an Imgur album. Please leave a comment on this change along with the usual sentence about why you cast your vote the way you did. Thanks! And good luck to our contestants. :)
  • Anthus likes this

#2 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 04 December 2016 - 10:36 PM

I like the new format. Viewing them all at once like this is easier than opening up three tabs, and this makes viewing the contest on a phone/ tablet a lot more manageable. :)

My vote goes to Plutia though. That's a very interesting Koten map, and I'm not sure if I'm seeing a dungeon, or an overworld. It reminds me kind of Undertale a little bit, even though I haven't played it.

The other two maps are pretty good too. I like Dimentio's Classic area, and it looks pretty interesting. I've always been a fan of adding stuff to Classic. Sheik's is good too. I like the palettes, and feel like this shows off the palettes between the seasons pretty well. I'm honestly not a huge fan of the GB set, but Sheik can make anything look awesome.

• nicklegends and Naru like this

#3 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators

Posted 05 December 2016 - 07:48 AM

Dimentio - Nice classic map you got here. I like the variety in the world and you have those amazing ice tiles included too lel. There are a couple weird things, like the GB tiles to the left of the marshy area and the water section can kinda look like water is just going behind mountains and they're floating in mid air (not sure how to make it better though)

Plutia - I already mentioned elsewhere about how I don't like the usage of GB tiles in Koten, but this is a really nice map anyway. My favourite area is definitely the green section.

Sheik - Definitely my favourite this week. I love how the map is quite different depending on the season, just like in Oracle of Seasons. Nothing looks odd here at all and this definitely looks like something out of a GB game.

I voted for Sheik this month.

• nicklegends and Deedee like this

#4 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:She / Her, They / Them

Posted 05 December 2016 - 09:35 AM

Dimentio - Nice classic map you got here. I like the variety in the world and you have those amazing ice tiles included too lel. There are a couple weird things, like the GB tiles to the left of the marshy area and the water section can kinda look like water is just going behind mountains and they're floating in mid air (not sure how to make it better though)

The waterfall area was actually the last area to be designed, and was a pain to make look good. I decided that the ledges looking like they're floating was near unfixable, and honestly, floating islands aren't really a strange thing in a Zelda game?

The GB tiles... Well, they're 8 bit, and Zelda 1 was 8 bit, and the quest this overworld was based on used a lot of GB sprites, so I figured why not?

• Eddy likes this

#5 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators

Posted 05 December 2016 - 09:51 AM

The GB tiles... Well, they're 8 bit, and Zelda 1 was 8 bit, and the quest this overworld was based on used a lot of GB sprites, so I figured why not?

Fair enough, but in that case, you could probably try to make them stand out less and not make them so bright in contrast to everything else.

#6 Rastael

Rastael

Wizard

• Members

Posted 05 December 2016 - 11:02 AM

Wow, the Oracle of Seasons map is awesome!!! Great work, Shiek. I really have to play your quest, when you finished it. :)

@nicklegends:

I prefer the old way, the maps are shown.

1.) I nearly voted for the wrnong map, because I thought, the Seasons-map was made by Plutia

2.) I'm not sure about this, but I think, you can't zoom in on the maps that good in the album. (is this a correct sentence? XD)

But if it's easier for you this way, I have no problem with it. ^^

• nicklegends likes this

#7 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 05 December 2016 - 02:00 PM

Thanks for the feedback everybody.

Also:

I really have to play your quest, when you finished it. :)

...me too. When and if.

Edit: Can't say I am a fan of the new format by the way. I get it, but eh. :shrug:

Edited by Sheik, 05 December 2016 - 04:13 PM.

• nicklegends and Rastael like this

#8 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 05 December 2016 - 03:40 PM

Plutia had the most interesting landscaping, which took my vote.

• nicklegends likes this

#9 Titanium Justice

Titanium Justice

Justice is served!

• Members

Posted 05 December 2016 - 09:50 PM

Voted for Dimentio. Love those colors.

• nicklegends and Deedee like this

#10 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 06 December 2016 - 05:36 PM

2.) I'm not sure about this, but I think, you can't zoom in on the maps that good in the album. (is this a correct sentence? XD)

Right-clicking on a map and choosing Open in New Window let me zoom in

Edited by Cukeman, 06 December 2016 - 05:37 PM.

#11 Golden Guardian

Golden Guardian

• Members

Posted 06 December 2016 - 09:18 PM

Dimentio: A solid, well-rounded map with a good handful of areas you'd expect in a Zelda quest. I have no problems with the map (I'm no tile expert) but at the same time nothing really jumped out at me. A well constructed overworld.

Plutia: Definitely interesting and the colors alone piqued my interest. At the same time, the color choice was a little hard on my eyes. That was probably just me. 

Sheik: At a glance, this is just a town that has quick season repaints. As I looked closer, there was a lot of attention to details and just overall good continuity between seasons. 

I like both Dimentio's and Plutia's, but Sheik's is getting my vote. 

• nicklegends likes this

#12 Plutia

Plutia

CPU of Planeptune

• Members

Posted 07 December 2016 - 07:12 AM

Sheik's doesn't really interest me because I just think about how much of a pain it would be to backtrack to a stump to change the seasons.

Unless the item you get for that allows you to do it at will...

#13 nicklegends

nicklegends

Trofessional Pransposer

• Contributors

Posted 31 December 2016 - 09:47 PM

Just as Sheik changes identities with time in Ocarina of Time, Sheik's map changes identity with the season in Zelda Classic.

Congratulations, Sheik, for winning Map of the Month 82! :)

Voting totals
– Dimentio (10 votes [30.30%])
– Plutia (9 votes [27.27%])
Sheik (14 votes [42.42%])

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Sheik

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users