The Darkness Within help

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#31 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 22 March 2021 - 04:43 PM

Sorry, I don't think I was clear. What I mean is you can ignore that enemy down the stairs entirely for right now. You don't need to beat it to finish this area, and later on in the game, you'll be able to come back here. What I'm guessing you need to do is on this screen:

zquest_screen00628.png

Coming from below (use the fire rod to get rid of the plants and snow drifts) will let you hit the switch, which turns the northern block into a keyhole. Use the key there to get the boss key.

While I have a lot of issues with the quest, I do still think it's quite beautiful, so I'm glad to see people appreciating that aspect of that. :)

• csal321 likes this

#32 csal321

csal321

Recipient of Ways

• Members

Posted 24 March 2021 - 08:21 PM

Thank you so much Russ, this was exactly what I needed!-- so excited to play again!!! :bounce:

• Russ likes this

#33 hairball42

hairball42

Initiate

• Members

Posted 15 April 2023 - 08:55 AM

I'm enjoying this quest so far.  A few issues though: I don't have sound effects?  The music plays but there are no sounds other than that.   Am I missing something or using the wrong version?

Edited by hairball42, 15 April 2023 - 07:06 PM.

#34 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 16 April 2023 - 02:23 PM

Huh, that's an odd one. The quest is definitely supposed to have sound effects. What version are you playing in? Try this: If you press escape, then go to Settings->Sound, is SFX Volume turned down? Do sound effects work in other quests?

#35 hairball42

hairball42

Initiate

• Members

Posted 16 April 2023 - 05:12 PM

Somehow I fixed it by turning on, then back off, the DXGL thing in the 2.531 beta 55.   Now it's all better.  

My only issue now is I'm stuck on that island that has the hydra's revenge.  Is there a potion shop on there?

#36 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 16 April 2023 - 07:01 PM

There's no potion shop, but you don't need to defeat Hydra right now (or ever, it's totally optional) and you can return later with better equipment.

#37 hairball42

hairball42

Initiate

• Members

Posted 16 April 2023 - 08:31 PM

Ok, I will keep trying to beat the boss (not hydra, the main boss of this level) without potions.  I only have six hearts so far so it's a challenge.  I did get the armor. :)   

I like the mechanism of that boss.  This quest is full of cleverness.

Edit: I don't like when he fills the screen up with like 50 skeletons and darknuts. :P

Edited by hairball42, 16 April 2023 - 09:04 PM.

#38 hairball42

hairball42

Initiate

• Members

Posted 16 April 2023 - 08:51 PM

Should I have the magic shield by now?

#39 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 16 April 2023 - 09:25 PM

Ok, I will keep trying to beat the boss (not hydra, the main boss of this level) without potions.  I only have six hearts so far so it's a challenge.  I did get the armor. :)   

I like the mechanism of that boss.  This quest is full of cleverness.

Edit: I don't like when he fills the screen up with like 50 skeletons and darknuts. :P

Congrats on the armor! That oughta help plenty. Him filling up the screen can be unfortunate, but his summoners will only summon if you get in their line of sight, so ambushing them as soon as you see him shoot a whirlwind to create one, and trying to stay diagonal to them, should help.

I'm glad you're enjoying the quest! It's one of my oldest works and, if I'm being honest, I'm hardly happy with it anymore and tend to cringe at a lot of it, but I suppose there's still something to be enjoyed in it.

Should I have the magic shield by now?

It's available for purchase in the town you gain access to after beating this boss.

#40 hairball42

hairball42

Initiate

• Members

Posted 16 April 2023 - 10:04 PM

OH!  The wizards do the summoning.  That helps a lot.  :)  

I'm a sucker for a quest with story.  I'll be playing Stellar Seas next.  

• Russ likes this

#41 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 17 April 2023 - 06:35 AM

I'm a sucker for a quest with story.  I'll be playing Stellar Seas next.

Honestly, I'm really curious to see how you'll like Stellar Seas. It was designed with a lot of the same principles as Darkness Within, but also 10 years of experience in how to make a quest better. Cut from the same cloth but more expertly, in a sense.

#42 hairball42

hairball42

Initiate

• Members

Posted 23 April 2023 - 05:05 PM

Anyone have any tips for defeating the bomb defense system?  I've tried so many times.  I'm clearly missing a key mechanic.  I am hitting the red targets when possible, and trying to keep the rats cleared out.  But they eventually get me.  

Edit: I stood in the bottom right corner facing up with arrows equipped.  Slashing with the sword / shooting the bombchus with arrows, healing with potions, etc.   -- eventually I got it. :)

Edited by hairball42, 23 April 2023 - 06:12 PM.

• Russ likes this

#43 hairball42

hairball42

Initiate

• Members

Posted 04 May 2023 - 10:40 AM

I am having trouble beating Solarite.  I can get him to the point where he has the orbs circling but haven't been able to get him past that.

Just want to make sure I'm not missing something.  My health goes up to one heart short of the 2nd row, so am I missing a heart?   I think I got all the ones mentioned in this thread.  

Shoud I have the 2nd level of armor?  I got the one set, not sure about the 2nd.  Or is there anything else I need that might be helpful?   (Mirror shield?  Better boomerang?  Better arrows?)

#44 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 04 May 2023 - 04:07 PM

The biggest thing that might help is the red armor. You can find it in the starlight heavens, near the upper right. You'll have to clear a boss rematch arena to get it. As for hearts... I'll be honest, I don't remember if the hearts come out to exactly 16 or not. I can possibly check though.

#45 hairball42

hairball42

Initiate

• Members

Posted 07 May 2023 - 07:15 PM

The red armor will definitely do the trick. :)   

Edit: That did the trick.  I got the 'bad' ending I think.  Time to play again to get the other two.   

I missed what the cheat code was, can you DM it to me?  I vaguely remember but am getting it wrong. :)

Edited by hairball42, 07 May 2023 - 08:58 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users