Photo

Screenshot of the Week 288

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
33 replies to this topic

Poll: ~ (52 member(s) have cast votes)

~

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#16 lightdestroyer

lightdestroyer

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 20 April 2010 - 08:58 PM

Lemon, one of those shots is mine, am I right ? Yeah, I didn't really took the best screen of the game. I changed the clouds but I'm going to keep the the CSet 2 grass. Why ? Because it looks like dead grass and green grass make the place look TOO peaceful. And I don't want that. Sorry, MO, but I don't like the feeling I get of it. I should include a screen from Serion Town next time...it's more interesting.

#17 RedDeathX7

RedDeathX7

Recipient of Ways

• Members

Posted 20 April 2010 - 09:16 PM

I voted for Jupiter, this is beautiful, I also enjoyed the one I just seen from Jupiter on the front page.

#18 Lemon

Lemon

Legend

• Members

Posted 20 April 2010 - 09:18 PM

Actually no, I thought yours was a decent effort at an interesting situation. There's wind blowing across the screen, clouds up in the air, and the enemies are all over the place trotting around. It looks "animated without being animated".

In comparison to Jupiters screen it just suffers in importance or a WOW factor. Something that player will be like; oh cool! when they get to that point in the game... a visual reward for being an adventurous player I guess. Whereas he has a (assumingly) dungeon entrance and really cool moon up in the horizon, your shot lacks anything that produces any strong pull.

#19 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 20 April 2010 - 09:44 PM

You know, nobody has won 3 times in a row. If Jupiter wins this one, that could be some kind of accomplishment.

#20 Christian

Christian

Summoner

• Members

Posted 20 April 2010 - 10:07 PM

I think he already won 3 times in a row! icon_smile.gif

#21 Jupiter

Jupiter

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 20 April 2010 - 11:01 PM

QUOTE(Christian @ Apr 20 2010, 10:07 PM) View Post

I think he already won 3 times in a row! icon_smile.gif

No...last week was the first time I won. This week would only make two in a row (and two for all time). I'm ahead in MotM as well though, which might be why you'd think this....but I will submit something for next week.

QUOTE(Lemon @ Apr 20 2010, 07:53 PM) View Post

Jupiter's is pretty awesome, so it gets my vote, though it really suffers from the white contrast on all sides... In order to properly view I copied it into a ms paint file and surrounded in black. Much better icon_biggrin.gif. Not that there's anything you can do about this, mind you, just a stray observation from someone whose submitted dark screenshots before. Everything about this is cool, and while busy I'd smile when I got to a screen like this in a game.

If that were from a game I was making the moon would definitely have a mustache and eyes though. You lose a few points there, but otherwise icon_thumbsup.gif

Yeah, it actually does look much cooler in the dark in my room with all those stars twinkling. Thanks for the comments. Maybe next time I'll put a quirky face on my moons...a mustache is never a mistake...except for almost always icon_lol.gif

#22 Lemon

Lemon

Legend

• Members

Posted 21 April 2010 - 02:15 AM

QUOTE(Jupiter @ Apr 20 2010, 11:01 PM) View Post

...a mustache is never a mistake...except for almost always icon_lol.gif

Obviously you have never made graphic for a game set in the Victorian period. Mustaches! Everywhere! On the men! On the women! On the babies!

...and now there's going to be a baby with a mustache somewhere in this game. Inspiration, you are everywhere.

#23 RedDeathX7

RedDeathX7

Recipient of Ways

• Members

Posted 21 April 2010 - 05:48 AM

QUOTE(Lemon @ Apr 21 2010, 04:15 AM) View Post

Obviously you have never made graphic for a game set in the Victorian period. Mustaches! Everywhere! On the men! On the women! On the babies!
...and now there's going to be a baby with a mustache somewhere in this game. Inspiration, you are everywhere.

What about on fish?

#24 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 21 April 2010 - 12:09 PM

Didn't Ebola win over three times in a row several times? At least that's how it felt to me..

#25 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 21 April 2010 - 01:04 PM

I don't think I've ever won three weeks in a row, but I have won three months in a row about back in 2008. I try not to submit a shot in the same month that I've won just so that my shots don't end up taking votes from each other. icon_razz.gif. Plus it gives me more to show off as new if there's a slow week or something.

EDIT: I should say that I voted for Jupiter, but I haven't gotten around to a full critique (as I like to do) yet.

#26 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 21 April 2010 - 02:50 PM

Oh, I see. Well, that's almost the same icon_razz.gif

However, I just noticed that I forgot to write something about every screen this week oO. Well, bear with me, I'm having exams-week (two done, one more to go). Whatever!

Jupiter: The palette does not exactly work well with the sprite colours. However, it is a nice screen despite it's tiles are clashing style. I'll blame it on DoR. I don't like how green the rock is, but I like the atmosphere the scenery is providing.
lightdestroyer: Had I not nulled, I would have voted for you. It has a certain magical feeling to it, eventhough it's really simple. A calm tune would suit it well, talking of MIDIs. I suggest blocking the lower left cornor, though.
Sheik: Stop boring people with such randomness.
catfriedrice: (weird name...) the mountains are off and I spot an open cornor, but I like how you stick to one style of trees and give the area a sort of "personality" by that, eventhough it's pretty generic. It looks a bit like high-quality GB and little like DoR. However, that's how I like DoR to used: less style clashing. Your subscreen isn't perfect, but it's nice to look at anyways. Good work! =)

#27 Jupiter

Jupiter

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 21 April 2010 - 03:10 PM

QUOTE(Sheik @ Apr 21 2010, 02:50 PM) View Post

Jupiter: The palette does not exactly work well with the sprite colours. However, it is a nice screen despite it's tiles are clashing style. I'll blame it on DoR. I don't like how green the rock is, but I like the atmosphere the scenery is providing.

Night scenes would definitely look better if the sprites shaded with them, so I definitely agree. I guess one could accomplish this by using cset 9 or something to recolor Link according to each palette...

Is it that the rock looks out of place? I am using those to block of pathways and such...and like the green for this area because it's supposed to be sort of lush, islandy, jungly area and I guess the green stones look mossy to me...I also edited the bottom line to make it look like it's sitting in the sand...but maybe it'd look better if different.

QUOTE(Sheik @ Apr 21 2010, 02:50 PM) View Post

catfriedrice: (weird name...)

Yes.

...I'm assuming this is a reference to the reputed tendency of some oriental restaurants to use what some think of as pets in their cooking (a lighthearted stereotype). Which makes it clever enough if so.

Edited by Jupiter, 21 April 2010 - 03:11 PM.

#28 lightdestroyer

lightdestroyer

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 21 April 2010 - 03:33 PM

QUOTE(Sheik @ Apr 21 2010, 03:50 PM) View Post

lightdestroyer: Had I not nulled, I would have voted for you. It has a certain magical feeling to it, eventhough it's really simple. A calm tune would suit it well, talking of MIDIs. I suggest blocking the lower left cornor, though.

Really ? Wow. Many thanks. The MIDI I use is a little rythmic to suit the fields feeling, but a calm enough to make a difference between that bright part and the ruined part of the world. About the corner, I don't know what to cover it with.

#29 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 21 April 2010 - 11:12 PM

Crap. I don't feel like writing up a whole bunch of commentary (or even deciding between shots), but I wanted to make a post to say that ALL of the entries this week are pretty amazing. Each one has its own unique virtues.

And that's not just because of the prevalence of DoR tiles, though of course I don't mind seeing them. icon_razz.gif

#30 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 22 April 2010 - 03:58 AM

Jupiter: The tile itself is good enough, but you placed it in a cset which made it green. And green stones are somewhat rare and look funky to me. Just my feeling about it. Most of the voters didn't notice, nor bother, so it's seemingly fine.
lightdestroyer: Ah, okay, sounds like a good MIDI from what you describe. That cornor, let's see.. tree, mountain, fence, rock,... there's a lot you could place there. You could also leave it walkable and just make it unreachable. But I think that I'd look best here if you remodelded the mountain a bit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users