Photo

Screenshot of the Month 97

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

Poll: Screenshot of the Month 97 (25 member(s) have cast votes)

~

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 26 November 2012 - 01:08 AM

Shane - SotW 386
IPB Image
Lake Floria

Octorockoncrack - SotW 387
IPB Image
In the dead of night.....

Jared - SotW 388
IPB Image
*Insert "Here Comes the Bride" here*

Evan20000 - SotW 389
IPB Image
Trying something a little different here.

#2 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 26 November 2012 - 01:32 PM

Others are still good (other than Jared's palette still being a bit garish), but Octorockoncrack's is the best of this bunch. icon_smile.gif

#3 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:53 PM

I voted for Shane.

#4 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:07 PM

Octorock got my vote. Shane's is okay, but the purple things look ugly and the mountains have perspective issues with the height of the backside. Jared's and Evan's are alright, but they just can't compete with Octo.

#5 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:56 PM

QUOTE(Russ @ Nov 26 2012, 08:07 PM) View Post

Shane's is okay, but the purple things look ugly and the mountains have perspective issues with the height of the backside.

Is this really that big of a deal? These specific backsides are easier to use, and I personally think they look better. They don't look too perspective-clashy in my eyes. icon_shrug.gif

(If that came out too strong, sorry. I didn't mean for it to be.)

#6 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:15 PM

It's not too big a deal, no. But it's screenshot of the month. That's a pretty prestigious title, so I'm gonna be pretty harsh in my grading. On top of that, it is kinda perspective-clashing in my eyes. It makes it look like the backside's suddenly a lot taller than it's supposed to be, which distorts the rest of the screen when I'm trying to picture the elevation in my head.

#7 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:46 AM

I honestly think Shane's is the best-looking here, but I'm afraid I might be a little bit biased. Everything in his shot is either from the DoR tileset, or else a parallel rip of the Minish Cap tiles I'm using in the Dance of Remembrance quest. Of course, I'm usually even harsher against screenshots that use my tiles, since it's easier for me to notice the errors... but Shane is using most of them correctly.

Hmm... well... I guess I'll vote for Shane after all, because I honestly think it isn't even close. Jared would be a good competitor if it weren't for his screenshot's palette, which is way too bright, at least for a normal-ish overworld screen like that.

Russ:

What's wrong with the lavender?... icon_confused.gif Those were ripped from Star Ocean 1 and were altered very little in their transition to ZC. I hand-picked them for DoR because I wanted a little variation in flower types, and I particularly like the appearance of lavender.

Now, Shane isn't using the bases of the lavender, and I would encourage doing so. But otherwise I like them. Without flowers and other sources of color, DoR overworld graphics sometimes end up with way too much green.

As for the north sides of the mountains against water... hmm... I don't recall designing them that way. Shane must have edited his own version for the MC water. It'd be possible to convert the MC water without too much difficulty to conform to the proper perspective.

Oh, lastly: The MC water ripples really should be three frames, rather than four, but I realize that would make it very difficult to create a looping animated GIF since the grass and flowers have four-frame animations.

#8 Erdrick

Erdrick

Redeemed

• Members

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:16 AM

This is a tough vote to choose. Four great screenshots and one vote. Here's my insight on them.

Shane's screenshot looks pretty good. The lavender sticks out a bit but it's not an issue to me.

Jared's and Evan20k's screenshots are also good. However, I voted for Octorockoncrack's screenshot. The eerie colouring, the translucency and the screenshot's atmosphere immediately caught my eye when it was in Screenshot of the Week 387.

#9 Haylee

Haylee

~ Hope of Energy Nede ~

• Members
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:55 PM

Shane bane all the way! I don't like dark screen shots, so Octorockoncrack goes bye-bye for my vote.

Edited by Zephyr_Eevee, 27 November 2012 - 05:56 PM.

#10 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:50 AM

Shane - SotW 386 - 7 votes = 33.33%
Octorockoncrack - SotW 387 - 8 votes = 38.10%
Jared - SotW 388 - 2 votes = 9.52%
Evan20000 - SotW 389 - 4 votes = 19.05%

Total Votes: 21

Octorockoncrack - SotW 387
IPB Image