Official "What video games are you playing right now?" topic

• Please log in to reply
4811 replies to this topic

#4741 klop422

klop422

Guess I'm full of monsters and treasure

• Members

Posted 25 January 2021 - 11:54 AM

I, uh, guess I have the unpopular opinion about the Oracle games. Suffice to say, I'm not the biggest fan. But the confusing nature of some of the dungeons and what to do next definitely contributes.

Anyway, beat DKC. I think I'm sticking with my preference for the GBC version - iirc it saved after every level, and the controls were ever-so-slightly less awkward? And Mine Cart Madness is a much better music track on the GBC than on the SNES.

In any case, I wasn't in the mood for the next one so I jumped over to Metroid on the NES. We'll see how far I get before I get bored of/frustrated at it, given how confusing it's already starting to get.

#4742 FieryBirdyThing

FieryBirdyThing

Junior

• Members

Posted 25 January 2021 - 03:07 PM

Anyway, beat DKC. I think I'm sticking with my preference for the GBC version - iirc it saved after every level, and the controls were ever-so-slightly less awkward? And Mine Cart Madness is a much better music track on the GBC than on the SNES.

Very interesting to hear. you certainly don't get many fans preferring the GBC version over the SNES one, but I see your points.

And I suppose now I've started this post, I'd best talk about what I've been playing lately. Well, pretty much anything, really. My main focus has been on pinball games, specifically Zen Pinball 2 and Pinball Pulse: The Ancients Beckon. I've been playing a fair bit of Aladdin and The Lion King since I got the 'Disney Classic Games' disc last Christmas, although I'm also nearing the end of Maneater (which is quite fun and rather daft). Most recently, I've returned to Miitopia as a 'chill' game. Yes, it can get pretty damn mindless, but the Miis are so charming.

#4743 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 25 January 2021 - 04:54 PM

In any case, I wasn't in the mood for the next one so I jumped over to Metroid on the NES. We'll see how far I get before I get bored of/frustrated at it, given how confusing it's already starting to get.

My condolences. I'm really not a fan of NES Metroid, but I am happy to say I did manage to beat it once. And only once :P

Although while I'm here, I should really have a go at trying Metroid Zero Mission soon. I've never played that game before and I'm curious to see what it's like. I watched an LP of it when I was a kid and I remember it looking cool, so I'll see what I think when the time comes.

#4744 klop422

klop422

• Members

Posted 25 January 2021 - 06:54 PM

My condolences. I'm really not a fan of NES Metroid, but I am happy to say I did manage to beat it once. And only once :P

Although while I'm here, I should really have a go at trying Metroid Zero Mission soon. I've never played that game before and I'm curious to see what it's like. I watched an LP of it when I was a kid and I remember it looking cool, so I'll see what I think when the time comes.

tbh if I get too annoyed at the NES one I'm probably just gonna jump to Zero Mission, given that it's supposed to be more or less the same game. I just had the NES one to hand and wanted to do it and Metroid 2 (still working out whether I want to play the original, Samus Returns, or AM2R) before I go onto Super Metroid. Whether that's a good idea is another thing, but supposedly there's some thin plot threads involved, so... :P

#4745 SkyLizardGirl

SkyLizardGirl

Unbeknownst to danger we call upon your help

• Banned

Posted 26 January 2021 - 12:58 AM

I've been playing only ZC games lately.

Looking through many classics people made here.

I have become mostly quite fond of fan made games lately also.

Edited by SkyLizardGirl, 26 January 2021 - 01:00 AM.

#4746 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 26 January 2021 - 07:12 AM

tbh if I get too annoyed at the NES one I'm probably just gonna jump to Zero Mission, given that it's supposed to be more or less the same game. I just had the NES one to hand and wanted to do it and Metroid 2 (still working out whether I want to play the original, Samus Returns, or AM2R) before I go onto Super Metroid. Whether that's a good idea is another thing, but supposedly there's some thin plot threads involved, so... :P

I wouldn't call it "more or less the same game". It's radically different from a design perspective, just borrowing the same plot.

#4747 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 26 January 2021 - 07:21 AM

Like Eddy, I've been playing Puyo Puyo Tetris. I finished the story mode a while ago, so I've been practicing how to clear lines and do chains better, and faster too.

• Eddy likes this

#4748 klop422

klop422

• Members

Posted 26 January 2021 - 11:59 AM

I wouldn't call it "more or less the same game". It's radically different from a design perspective, just borrowing the same plot.

Oh, in that case I completely misunderstood the idea! I'm pretty new to the series, if that's, uh, not clear :P. Also means I might have a reason to play Zero Mission sooner than I thought.

I've been enjoying Metroid, too. I'm making liberal use of some of the emulator-y things the Switch lets you do (I rewind when I get hit while grinding HP, for example) and I did look up a map once just to make sure I'm not being really stupid, but other than that, the map you get in the instruction manual (which I found on Vimm's Lair - though, uh, cos of forum rules I can't recommend you go looking around that website too much) has been adequate for me just about working out where to go. It's been fun, if somewhat frustrating at times.

#4749 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 26 January 2021 - 05:19 PM

I'm pretty new to the series, if that's, uh, not clear :P. Also means I might have a reason to play Zero Mission sooner than I thought.

Ooo, how exciting! If you haven't already tried it, I highly recommend Super Metroid. IMO it's the best in the series, and arguably the best game on the SNES. It's comparatively obtuse though (though not nearly as much as the original Metroid), so if you're new to Metroidvanias in general then maybe try Metroid Fusion first. It's a bit more hand-holdy.

#4750 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members

Posted 26 January 2021 - 09:24 PM

Metroid 2 (still working out whether I want to play the original, Samus Returns, or AM2R)

I recommend playing all three. Not necessarily in a row mind you but at some point. Metroid II is a little rough and dated now but I appreciate it all the same. It's a little obtuse still but it isn't a very big game.

Samus Returns I actually really liked. AM2R I have some reservations about but it's a really solid fangame regardless. But they both share the same problem the Game Boy original had: Too many goddamn Metroids. The grind gets old in all three of these games.

#4751 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 27 January 2021 - 11:23 AM

AM2R now includes a Randomizer (with logic to prevent soft-locks) and has since been updated to no longer require beating the game to access it.

Edited by Nicholas Steel, 27 January 2021 - 11:23 AM.

#4752 klop422

klop422

• Members

Posted 27 January 2021 - 02:48 PM

Ooo, how exciting! If you haven't already tried it, I highly recommend Super Metroid. IMO it's the best in the series, and arguably the best game on the SNES. It's comparatively obtuse though (though not nearly as much as the original Metroid), so if you're new to Metroidvanias in general then maybe try Metroid Fusion first. It's a bit more hand-holdy.

I did play a bit of Fusion a while back, but never got very far, so I don't consider myself to really have 'started' with the series lol. If I ever find my 3DS again I may restart it. Or, uh, emulate.

I was planning to play Super Metroid after trying Metroid II (and probably after beating it), just for the very thin threads of plot. Even though I already kind of know the plot of SM.

I recommend playing all three. Not necessarily in a row mind you but at some point. Metroid II is a little rough and dated now but I appreciate it all the same. It's a little obtuse still but it isn't a very big game.

Samus Returns I actually really liked. AM2R I have some reservations about but it's a really solid fangame regardless. But they both share the same problem the Game Boy original had: Too many goddamn Metroids. The grind gets old in all three of these games.

I feel like I've got a decent enough tolerance for old, obtuse games, so I may try the GB one (especially since I started with the NES Metroid). At the very least it'll help me appreciate the others when I eventually get round to playing them. (Also I'd have to buy Samus Returns because I don't have a good enough computer to emulate 3DS stuff at playable speeds.)

AM2R now includes a Randomizer (with logic to prevent soft-locks) and has since been updated to no longer require beating the game to access it.

Maybe I'll try it when I get a better feel for the series!

But yeah, thanks for all the tips, guys!

I also looked it up and didn't realise that apparently Zero Mission has a whole extra section at the end of the game? I forgot how fun it is to jump into a new series.

As an update, I beat Kraid earlier today. I did use save-states so that I didn't have to go through the whole lair every time I died, but I did try to do the entire thing in one 'take'. Ended up winning with so little HP that attempting to leave killed me. But I won, so whatever! Guess I gotta find Ridley and the rest of the items next.

#4753 FieryBirdyThing

FieryBirdyThing

Junior

• Members

Posted 14 February 2021 - 07:14 AM

I've finally finished Maneater with 100% completion. I'd say it's one of the few modern games I've come across that seems to just want to have fun with its premise and concept. I must admit its biggest flaws really stem from the level-up system and battles.

Spoiler

However, this does not detract from a stupid-fun game about a shark swimming around and eating people.

Edited by FieryBirdyThing, 14 February 2021 - 02:39 PM.

#4754 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators

Posted 14 February 2021 - 10:32 AM

To update on this, I ended up beating both Zero Mission and Fusion with 100%. Both really damn fun games, although I was really impressed with Fusion. I wasn't expecting to love that game anywhere as much as I had first thought. It's certainly quite on the linear side, but I don't mind it so much since it was designed quite well around it IMO. I do wish there were more SA-X encounters though, those were some incredible moments in the game but so few too. Super Metroid is still the best for me though, nothing can top that from what I've played. I intend to try AM2R (maybe the original Metroid II as well) and the Prime series eventually. And there's also Other M which I've never played before but I hear it's pretty uhh... yeah :P

I've now been playing some Axiom Verge which is another really fantastic metroidvania. Nearing the end of it now so it won't be too long until I'm done with it.

#4755 klop422

klop422

• Members

Posted 14 February 2021 - 12:32 PM

I guess I forgot to update y'all on my own Metroid adventure. I beat Metroid a couple days after my last post (quite enjoyed it, though I admit I did sort of cheat in the fight against Mother Brain - the battle is, well, not a fair one). I did try to start Metroid II but I'll have to find a better setup than the one I picked (mobile emulator using a joycon as a controller doesn't work because the input lag is unusable). So while I get the energy to shift the save file onto my laptop or just buy the game, I've been playing through Super Mario Bros. 3 and loving it. Not much else to say there.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users