GameCube Repair?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 06 September 2017 - 04:17 PM

My GameCube will sometimes read discs, and sometimes not. I am guessing it has to do with the eye that reads discs? Anyone familiar with this issue or how to repair it?

#2 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 06 September 2017 - 05:08 PM

I'd YouTube it, or look on dedicated forums. It's usually pretty easy to clean the lens on one cause they are easy to get to, but you still have to be careful. It wouldn't hurt to also take some duster air to the fans, and vents. Make sure it's unplugged too. ;)
  • Adem and Dark Ice Dragon like this

#3 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 11 September 2017 - 07:54 AM

When disassembling I would recommend leaving the Gamecube plugged in to a wall outlet but with the wall outlet turned off, this allows the metal surfaces inside the console to act as a Ground/Earth that you can use by touching them to remove any static charge your body has built up, making it a lot safer to manhandle circuit boards and stuff without damaging them.

Edited by Nicholas Steel, 11 September 2017 - 07:58 AM.

#4 Arthas

Arthas

Adept

• Members

Posted 21 October 2017 - 03:13 AM

You can buy a gamecube optical drive assembly replacement and switch it out in ~30 minutes. Google is your friend.

Alternatively it might be cheaper and smarter to buy a used Wii and play your gamecube games on that. Wii has a better optical disc drive design that is less prone to failure.

Edited by Arthas, 21 October 2017 - 03:14 AM.

#5 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 21 October 2017 - 01:52 PM

You can buy a gamecube optical drive assembly replacement and switch it out in ~30 minutes. Google is your friend.

Alternatively it might be cheaper and smarter to buy a used Wii and play your gamecube games on that. Wii has a better optical disc drive design that is less prone to failure.

Thank, I'll look that up (I suck at online searches tbh).

I do have a Wii, but enjoy using both. I have a GameBoy Player attached to my GameCube also.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users