Photo

Screenshot of the Week 208

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
50 replies to this topic

Poll: SoTW 208 (65 member(s) have cast votes)

Contestants

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#16 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 27 April 2008 - 05:23 PM

Sorry to be nitpicking, but you know:
QUOTE(/M/ @ Apr 27 2008, 11:13 PM) View Post
but I make sure everything is spelled correctly before I post something.

QUOTE(/M/ @ Apr 27 2008, 11:13 PM) View Post
I know your Dyslexic

Do you mean 'I know you're Dyslexic'?

Although, that is quite a valid point really.
It would help if you use the spell checker Billy.
Firefox has one built in, if you're using it.

#17 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 27 April 2008 - 05:31 PM

FINALLY!!! A Week where nobody used the DOR Tileset. icon_razz.gif

I voted for LiH (One of the Two Best GB Tileset Users) icon_smile.gif

#18 LostInHyru1e

LostInHyru1e

Can you take me as far as PureZC?

• Members

Posted 27 April 2008 - 05:33 PM

Nulled.

/M/: Very decent shot. The overall feel of it is amazing. However, it only really reaches its full potential when you imagine it as a volcanic scene with dust- not a winter shot. Too much brown for winter. Yes, I know that sometimes it doesn't snow in winter, but it's hard to give the right feeling without some measure of snow on the ground.

Nuvo: Somewhat empty. The arcing-mountain design used in this shot has nothing wrong with it in concept, but it doesn't allow the shot to be intricate. Cover the top-right corner at the very least, however, and add some sand detail.

Phoenix: I'm not a huge fan of it. I like the borders much better in green, and although the design is very decent, it just does not grab me. There's nothing really wrong with it though. (Except maybe the color of the leaves- the brown doesn't really match the rest of the screen, realistic or not)

LostInHyru1e: Yes, the perspective issues are terrible. But that's how it was in LADX and OoS! So sue Nintendo, not me! icon_wink.gif

Linkus: Very good shot. In fact, it looks almost like Nintendo made it. But it doesn't really grab me all that much.

and I'm sick of Lost competing. icon_razz.gif

That's like saying you're sick of the competition. You can't possibly dislike the prospect of "just another shot" added to SoTW, can you? It's spiteful.

Aww.... icon_biggrin.gif

Edited by LostInHyru1e, 27 April 2008 - 05:45 PM.

#19 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

/M/- I think I get what you were trying to do with this shot, but... dang, some of those tiles look really bad in that palette. icon_unsettled.gif The grass is also too speckley for me... it's almost hard to look at. The design is good though, and I really love how you did the road. 7/10.
Nuvo- Really empty. The open corner doesn't look bad, but it also does nothing to really add to the screen- I think an elevation change up there would really benefit this shot. 6/10.
Phoenix- Twilight_Knight really hit it right on the head. Basically, I'd recommend making the brush more dense and putting some shadows/overhangs in there. 7/10.
LostInHyrule- Definitely not bad. icon_smile.gif The tower throws off the perspective a bit. The details are great, however. 8/10
Linkus- Great shot. Really digging the design, and great work on the trees, my man. A winning 9/10.

#20 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Well, this is what I would have enter if I don't forget that carbon copy:
IPB Image

EDIT: It won't be too dark ingame, because there's won't be a white forum background below it...

#21 LostInHyru1e

LostInHyru1e

Can you take me as far as PureZC?

• Members

Posted 27 April 2008 - 05:45 PM

...Why didn't you just save that for next week, CC?

#22 /M/

/M/

6♣7♠8♥9♥10♥

• Members

Posted 27 April 2008 - 05:50 PM

QUOTE(Joe123 @ Apr 27 2008, 06:23 PM) View Post

Sorry to be nitpicking, but you know:
Do you mean 'I know you're Dyslexic'?

That wouldn't be a spelling error, rather incorrect grammar. icon_razz.gif

/M/- I think I get what you were trying to do with this shot, but... dang, some of those tiles look really bad in that palette.

May you please point them out so I could replace them or at least try to edit it so that it'll look better?

/M/- I think I get what you were trying to do with this shot, but... dang, some of those tiles look really bad in that palette.

You're right, I'll add some snow piles on the grass. Though that is a good idea of using this palette for a volcanic area instead of a winter area. I'll see if I can make something better.

#23 ZebraStallion

ZebraStallion

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 27 April 2008 - 05:50 PM

That is an excellent shot CC. So this Plant Pond is really turning out, isn't it? I don't care if it's dark. Andthe detail is REALLY nice. I would have voted here if you entered. I love the plants oozing out of the cave walls. This is just an amazing screen and I hope all of your other screens for plant pond will be like this. I am very, very impressed.

Alright. Last time, I didn't get enough detail into my post to actually help people out so I will do that now.

/M/: Very interesting shot. The tiles are nice, but the pallete is not very fitting for a Winter shot. If you're aiming towards Winter, than pick a pallete with more white. Now I'll tell you this: if this is winter in a wasteland, it's perfect. So if it is a wasteland, you should have stated in your caption. The reason a lot of people didn't vote for you is because of the fact that your shot doesn't look like winter.

Nuvo: This shot is thirsty for fround detail I should say. And the open corner needs to be closed. The top left, "thing" (I don't know what it is...) should be brighter so everyone will know what it is.

Pheonix: This shot is a "meh" kind of shot. It doesn't have the special, "BAM!" Feeling to it. For one thing, not every path has to another screen has to have a log. I also feel that in some areas the forest brush is too thin. I personally enjoy the color of the brush though. It sets a nice mood. I'd also recomend putting tree shadows all over your forest shots.

LostInHyrule: Beautiful screen. Perfect. Pallete is nice, design is nice, even though the perspective is wacky, I like it.

Linkus: Like Pheonix's shot, it is a "meh" shot. Although it's good and it came in second for me, I think the postioning of the cliffs are awkward. I don't know, probably just me... Yes...

I voted for LIH. Everyone did really well this SOTW, and I hope for another good one next week.

#24 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 27 April 2008 - 05:58 PM

QUOTE(/M/ @ Apr 27 2008, 11:50 PM) View Post

That wouldn't be a spelling error, rather incorrect grammar. icon_razz.gif

True, but incorrect grammar looks just as bad as poor spelling really icon_shrug.gif

I think so anyway.

#25 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 27 April 2008 - 06:17 PM

QUOTE(TriMaster001 @ Apr 27 2008, 06:31 PM) View Post

FINALLY!!! A Week where nobody used the DOR Tileset. icon_razz.gif

If I'm not the other one, then I'm going to slap you around a bit with some GB screenshots icon_razz.gif

LiH, I stand by my choice. You can complain all you want about me complaining about you constantly entering.

But I stand by this: There are times when you SHOULD take a break.

#26 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 27 April 2008 - 06:28 PM

/M/: I like it, but how is that winter?
Nuvo: Looks good, but lacks come detail.
Pheonix: I like this one a lot. I can see walking through those logs, and never finding a way out. But the palette doesn't seem much like a forest palette.
LostInHyru1e: I love this one. It seems just like a creep tour should look. *Votes*
Linkus: I like those tree edits, but you need to use more than just that one tree.

Edit:

and I'm sick of Lost competing. icon_razz.gif

You think you are? At AGN, they opened a SotW. I thought for once I could win it because LiH doesn't use AGN and wouldn't compete. Then, (being one of the managers for the AGN Expo, which hosts their SotW), I got a PM with his submission. It's not fair I tell you. icon_frown.gif

And another thing, I'm so happy nobody used DoR this week. I was getting tired of seeing shots win SotW just because they used DoR (even though it is still the best tileset in existence).

Edited by Russ, 27 April 2008 - 06:32 PM.

#27 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 27 April 2008 - 06:49 PM

With that being said, Russ, I think I'm going to start competing every week. I'm so putting the rubberband on the other claw.

#28 DarkFlameSheep

DarkFlameSheep

Vanice in DFS' heart

• Members

Posted 27 April 2008 - 06:59 PM

I voted LostInHyru1e.

#29 WindStrike

WindStrike

Culex is the bane of my existence.

• Members

Posted 27 April 2008 - 07:12 PM

Whee, haven't reviewed in a while.

/M/: It's an interesting new take on winter... in fact, it kinda resembles my backyard when it snows, because the snow never really sticks and everything is dead-like. But there's this lack of meshing, especially with regards to objects sticking out. I wouldn't mind it so much, but I pretty much have to really concentrate at the screen to tell just what is going on there, and it just gets confusing. I at first thought those orange flowers were fireballs for one. The dirt patch towards the top of the screen is completely out of color in comparison to the darkness of livelier objects surrounding it. It's a cool shot really (especially the tree patches... and that one on the left of the screen), but it's just a little confusing to look at.

Nuvo: Emptiness... that's not something I'm gonna complain about, and it's not really something I think is killing the screen. Dirt is freaking dirt, and sometimes, it can be pretty undetailed... though maybe you could've at least added small rocks here and there. You've already said in #purezc that you've changed the palette, so I no longer have a gripe there... unless you somehow made it worse, which I doubt you did. However, there's something bothering me about the lower portion of the screen, and it's the cliffs. On the cliffs with several tiles for height, it's easy to tell there's an elevation difference between the canyon and the upper platform, but on the lower half of the screen that's using only a tile to separate the difference... really, it just looks like a thick trail of rocks to pass over. So I'm thinking that cliff shadows (small ones) might fix that problem somewhat... dunno, twould have to see what it looks like with the shadows before I can further critique them. They're cool mountains, but without any cliff shadows looming into the canyon below, it really just looks odd. Aside from that, it's a pretty nice shot. Also, those trees that are half shown are cool.
- Oh my, seems you had the shot removed. Well, I still leave this mini-review here.

Pheonix: Ooh, gray forest area bushy- seriously, what's that foresty stuff called? Ehh, nvm. It's got a cool feel to it, but here's the problem. You have predominantly green trees with white leaves around them. Some of the white leaves that are further away are fine, but mayhaps you should try changing the ones near the green trees to green or maybe brown, depending on how long they're supposed to have been there. Overall, an interestingly nice shot.

LostInHyru1e: My vote would've gone here just because of the feel that's created as such a dark environment with such a deathly feel... but... the top half... I know it's the sky and it's raining and all... but methinks it's kinda on the repetitive side. Some variation in the clouds along with lightning flashes within some parts (not the entire screen) would make this really really cool. Great job, nonetheless.

Linkus: Vote went here even though I'm personally against a wall of trees on the side of the screen. The palette flows really well, the plantlife layout (with the exception of the left-side three tiles (which is not, in fact, half the screen (no offense to anyone)) is scattered nicely with a lovely focal point just below the center of the screen (the funny part is that it's also the part that the moblins are stepping all over), and I love those trees... (which are repeated slightly too much). The only problem with having several lively focal points on the screen is that everywhere else has to have close as much detailing, and in this shot, there's several bland spots between trees and the areas covered in more grass, and it's those blank spots that stick out more than anything else. Still, really good flow to it... and it looks like Link is doing some sort of new technique involving a red flash in his right hand combined with a sword in the other hand (I know, it's just something that died).
... come to think of it (after I made the vote)... that palette is slightly dull for an area filled with lively vegetation and plant life. Huh... ah well, still works. Great work, good sah!

#30 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 27 April 2008 - 07:14 PM

QUOTE(Moonwhisper @ Apr 27 2008, 04:49 PM) View Post

With that being said, Russ, I think I'm going to start competing every week. I'm so putting the rubberband on the other claw.

It's official now. I am never entering a shot here. I think I'm just going to kick back and watch you guys kill each other in an attemp to make the best ZC screenshot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users