• Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:15 PM

Okay... Here's an attempt at a new winter palette:

Old (aka CLAW MY EYES OUT VERSION)
IPB Image

and

New
IPB Image

The tall grass and trees could probably stand to be a bit more spearmint looking, but I'm having a hard time getting it over to that without making it blindingly bright. I also scrapped orange in favor of scrapping red or purple, but if it's still needed over a different color, that could be worked with.

#32 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 08 March 2013 - 03:06 PM

Ooh, I'm really liking the greens and reds. They give it a very festive look. Although now I'm wondering if maybe the tileset oughta have two winter palettes, a cheerful one (yours) and a more bleak one.

#33 Kite

Kite

• Members

Posted 08 March 2013 - 03:49 PM

That palette looks pretty good, Scootaloo. icon_smile.gif I can't really think of anything to tweak about it.

#34 aaa2

aaa2

Wizard

• Banned

Posted 08 March 2013 - 04:39 PM

When you release it make sure to include the script file as a separate file because otherwise you will have a lot of newbies complaining that script monsters suddenly stopped working etc.

#35 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members

Posted 08 March 2013 - 05:36 PM

@Russ: We'll call them Winter Wonderland and Winter Wasteland.

Anywho, here's an awful attempt at an Autumn palette:

IPB Image

I'm not a fan of making everything bright orange because that's just lazy. icon_frown.gif Tried to go for a yellow-ish green for grass at first, now trying the yellow-ish brown instead. The green topped trees are supposed to look like they're starting to turn yellow, which would then turn other various fall leaf colors, but it still needs some work, now that I look at it a bit more. icon_unsettled.gif

#36 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 08 March 2013 - 05:47 PM

I don't think it's awful. It does need some work though. The duller brown tree on the left kinda clashes with the red and green trees near it. That's how things look in real life, granted, but it's not what you'd expect from a more stylized set like Pure. You need to choose all brightish colors or all muted colors, not mix and match, I think. Then again, maybe it'd work; I'm not gonna pretend I'm great with palettes or anything. That's just what jumped out at me.

#37 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members

Posted 09 March 2013 - 12:35 AM

Well, I had things to talk about it to you with, but it's late and I'm kind of tired. Here's another attempt, I think it's attempt #4.

IPB Image

I honestly think this is pretty good, but that's just me. At this rate, though, I'm throwing out there that anyone can feel free to work with the palette if they think they can improve something about it.

#38 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 09 March 2013 - 12:47 AM

I feel it's too similar to the default PTUX Autumn palette. Maybe you should take the oranges in a different direction? Like a grayish or greenish tint?

#39 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members

Posted 09 March 2013 - 12:58 AM

IPB Image

That's the PTUX autumn palette. I'll give you that the reds and oranges are similar (which I don't see why that's a bad thing anyway), but otherwise... There's definitely a stronger orange hue to PTUX's. Which is precisely what I was trying to avoid.

#40 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 09 March 2013 - 01:20 AM

Ah yes, my mistake. : X

#41 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members

Posted 09 March 2013 - 10:36 PM

So here's my attempt at a summer palette now:

IPB Image

Sorry about hogging the thread, Nick. icon_frown.gif

#42 Kite

Kite

• Members

Posted 09 March 2013 - 10:47 PM

QUOTE(Scootaloo @ Mar 9 2013, 10:36 PM) View Post

Sorry about hogging the thread, Nick. icon_frown.gif

Don't worry about it. icon_smile.gif One of the things I'd really like for the set is participation from others, so there really isn't such a thing as hogging here... unless you were to just start talking about something completely off the wall like bats turning left when exiting caves.

Anyway, I like that summer palette. icon_smile.gif I didn't really get a chance to say that before my laptop overheated earlier.

#43 LinktheMaster

LinktheMaster

Hey Listen, Kid

• Members

Posted 09 March 2013 - 10:52 PM

QUOTE(Nick @ Mar 9 2013, 09:47 PM) View Post
unless you were to just start talking about something completely off the wall like bats turning left when exiting caves.
I guess you don't want my new script, then...

Anyway, I think your palettes have been really nice, Scootaloo. I'm really looking forward to this tileset be finished. I've sort of wanted to do a project on the side, and I think this tileset would be great for that. icon_smile.gif

#44 Kite

Kite

• Members

Posted 10 March 2013 - 04:46 PM

I'm close to putting in relational and dungeon carving combos, but I need some input on how to insert the floor edge combos in the relational order.

Should I...
  1. Put all of the relational drawing combos in an out-of-the way location. This is already going to happen with dungeon carving. There will be favorite combos pointing to them.
  2. Overwrite the existing floor edge order that's already in the dungeon combo areas. This would result in less duplicates of the same combos, but manually tweaking the floor would require paying more attention since a simple layout wouldn't be available.
...?

For reference:

IPB Image

Left is the order they appear in for the tileset at the moment. Right is the order that is required for relational drawing, which would allow you to fill in the floor borders as simply as filling in grass instead of constructing them piece by piece.

It doesn't matter too much to me whichever way people would prefer it, but I just need an idea of which direction to go. icon_shrug.gif

#45 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:32 PM

Sorry it's taking me so long to work with the Dungeon Carving mode setups. I really want to do them the real way, but there's this magnificently large snag that's been haunting me, and they never turn out right at all! icon_neutral.gif

The thing with working with Relational mode is that while it's a bit scary at first, and everything looks like it's all scatterminded, you actually soon learn the "pattern" to it, and can actually find things slightly more easily. It takes a little while, but it's a natural thing, and I find it's a lot easier to work with because of that order. Additionally, if you end up making a big mistake, it's really easy to just really quickly redo the whole screen because, well, it's Relational mode. icon_shrug.gif It's just painting on the screen.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users