Math Quest

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 anikom15

anikom15

Dictator

• Banned

Posted 05 March 2014 - 03:23 PM

How would guys feel if a quest required math to beat it?
  • Nathaniel, David and Astromeow like this

#2 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 05 March 2014 - 03:30 PM

Math is my 2nd name- I mean, I personally wouldn't mind. As long as it's something easy and something everybody can at least do.

#3 Magi_Hero

Magi_Hero

gubgub

• Members

Posted 05 March 2014 - 03:31 PM

I = win.  Can't get more basic than that.

• Astromeow likes this

#4 Astromeow

Astromeow

RESPECT DA OBOE SOLO

• Members

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:07 PM

010001 010001 010001

a MATH quest would be the shizzle man, I'd love to play it.

#5 nicklegends

nicklegends

Trofessional Pransposer

• Contributors

Posted 05 March 2014 - 05:13 PM

It depends what aspects of mathematics are incorporated and how they are used. I wouldn't want a quest that focuses on simple arithmetic ("What's 11 * 43 - 7?"), but one with challenging logic puzzles or "out of the box" questions might be interesting.

How do you plan on using math in your quest, anikom?
  • Aevin likes this

#6 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 05 March 2014 - 05:16 PM

If the puzzle is 1 + 1 then yeah, go ahead. If 1 + 2 or greater, then how about no.

Kidding, but as long as there is logic behind the puzzles, sure, go ahead.

• coolgamer012345 likes this

#7 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 05 March 2014 - 05:21 PM

A math based quest could be interesting. Like imagine if in order to beat the final dungeon the player had to solve crazy high level math problems where you use math to prove math and there's no real life applications and the only people who get it are mathematicians. I wonder if anyone would actually beat such a quest...

Edit: Also when you solve the final puzzle it's gotta be related to 15 somehow because that's the number of the Zelda flag.

#8 coolgamer012345

coolgamer012345

🔸

• Members

Posted 05 March 2014 - 05:33 PM

If the entire game was like had math everywhere than I think it would be ok, But if the game was just like BAM! final dungeon, Super frekin strange math problem with *'s and % than no.

#9 strike

strike

life is fragile, temporary, and precious

• Members

Posted 05 March 2014 - 05:38 PM

I plan to use high level math in the higher dungeons of my quest along with difficult riddles. But I plan on making one of the hardest quests ever so... In the easier levels there are codes hidden everywhere.

-Strike

#10 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 05 March 2014 - 06:20 PM

C-Dawg's quest "Dreams of Yesterday" had one particular dungeon, "Enigma Castle," which was heavily math and pattern recognition oriented. It actually, legitimately required some serious thought from time to time, and you couldn't just fake your way through it, for the most part. I really enjoyed that dungeon.

It's Here, in case you want to play it. It's quite a ways into the quest, though.

Also a Let's Play exists, though I don't think it was played the way it was meant to be played. It's a hell of a place, Enigma.

#11 JetBox

JetBox

Wizard

• Members

Posted 05 March 2014 - 07:04 PM

What kind of arithmetic are we talking about here? Simple multiplication and square roots, algebraic formulas, or are we going to get into some Greek Letter crap. Except Pi, because I like pie. :D

#12 anikom15

anikom15

Dictator

• Banned

Posted 05 March 2014 - 07:27 PM

An example would be like you have to solve a puzzle by solving an equation and opening gates to input the answer.
  • Astromeow likes this

#13 nicklegends

nicklegends

Trofessional Pransposer

• Contributors

Posted 05 March 2014 - 08:04 PM

I'd personally prefer a more creative approach toward math. You could throw in some puzzles where you can only cross each of a number of bridges once (related to graph theory), or push a block to increment/decrement a counter in a particular way, but dodging obstacles in your way I think math puzzles are more fun when there they are presented as something other than "HERE'S A MATH PROBLEM."
  • Avaro likes this

#14 anikom15

anikom15

Dictator

• Banned

Posted 05 March 2014 - 08:34 PM

That's what I'm doing....

#15 KingPridenia

KingPridenia

King of Pridenia, Safehaven of the LGBTQ

• Members

Posted 05 March 2014 - 08:36 PM

Just curious, would this puzzles be like the number block puzzles I use in Adam's Quest II? One example: "Three number that add up to 10 and multiply to 30." Where you have to push the right three numbers up and the other three numbers down to unlock the door. So the above puzzle is solved by pushing the blocks like so:

kjt5w4agieigjs7fg.jpg

DISCLAIMER: My screenshot is outdated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users