• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#16 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 26 November 2013 - 12:14 PM

It takes a great staff to truly design a decent job. If a quest designer builds a quest through his talents alone, even if you did happen to catch all the bugs, your quest suffers from being isolated and unconnected.

I never played this quest because I did get the feeling it was released rather too soon, but now that it's released, I'd recommend exerting that extra effort into damage control (such as fixing bugs, addressing gamer complaints). But also, give players some time to see what they really feel about this quest.

So, yes, while damage has been done by releasing your quest too soon without fully testing it, you can, with the right amount of damage control make this quest very successful. But I still probably won't play it at this time as I am focused on Promised Lands.

I do agree actually, probably I should have let the beta-testing phase go on much further. Probably for later projects, I'll expand the beta-testing time for about 1-2 weeks so people can find more bugs better that way...

And as for you not playing it yet, I'm all good with that, I'm kinda focusing on beating Promised Lands too actually lol.

#17 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 26 November 2013 - 01:39 PM

I believe beta testing should be consistent and ongoing throughout the entire project. As long as you have a staff that you respect, and they feel the same about you, it serves to avoid issues like these. Now the fact that try exist is not a terrible problem, I'd advise keep updating and fixing the issues as that are brought to your attention. Most quests suffer similar issue on release day anyways.

#18 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators

Posted 26 November 2013 - 01:44 PM

I believe beta testing should be consistent and ongoing throughout the entire project. As long as you have a staff that you respect, and they feel the same about you, it serves to avoid issues like these. Now the fact that try exist is not a terrible problem, I'd advise keep updating and fixing the issues as that are brought to your attention. Most quests suffer similar issue on release day anyways.

Yes I will be constantly updating this after anybody finds any issues or bugs. I won't be abandoning this project just because I've finished it.

But I'll take all these points on board for next projects.

#19 ms_zelda_lady

ms_zelda_lady

Warrior

• Members

Posted 26 November 2013 - 03:45 PM

Thanks for the pm Eddy. I'm hoping to play later tonight. BTW I kinda miss all of the Armos near level 1. It really wasn't that hard to get thru. It just took a little more time.

#20 Lejes

Lejes

Seeker of Runes

• Members

Posted 26 November 2013 - 04:22 PM

zzQx4Jj.png

These blocks should be light brown, not blue, to keep with the convention you set for the rest of the dungeon.

FfFeYcU.png

the human

I liked level 7. Would have liked it more if the enemy placement was more thoughtful, but oh well. At least you have the tools to deal with them by then. I didn't take a screenshot, but there was a sideview screen in the Palace of Nayru that looks like it needs the longshot at first glance, but it seems like you can cheese it by just walking through the spikes. Not sure if that's an issue. Still can't get the custom music to play, either. Level 8 is completely silent.

FAKE EDIT

Finally figured out the music needs to be in the default Quest directory. ZC doesn't care if the quest was loaded from somewhere else, it only looks in the default directory. This really isn't intuitive at all, and I couldn't find any info on it in sticky topics, so it would be helpful to include it on the quest description here at PureZC.

Edited by Lejes, 26 November 2013 - 05:05 PM.

#21 chiefbigcalf

chiefbigcalf

Warrior

• Members

Posted 26 November 2013 - 08:44 PM

I beat the boss in level one....then got trapped on a Vatti screen.  I have the arrow and the quiver but no bow, I guess that is why I am trapped (F6 doesn't help)....Sorry for saying so, but there should be some way of continuing as the bow/arrows were not needed to beat the boss ( a few hundred hits from the sword did the trick) and the Vatti  meeting is unavoidable, and there is no way to go back and search for the bow

OK  found the bow  (keeping extra copies of progress is a must) for things like this otherwise only thing to do is to start over from the beginning.

Edited by chiefbigcalf, 26 November 2013 - 08:52 PM.

#22 Lejes

Lejes

Seeker of Runes

• Members

Posted 27 November 2013 - 12:49 AM

I beat the game. Spoiler tagging this stuff.

Spoiler

#23 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators

Posted 27 November 2013 - 11:03 AM

I beat the game. Spoiler tagging this stuff.

Spoiler

Alright, will take all points into consideration to make later quests better. But although there were quite a lot of bugs you've discovered, did you still enjoy it as a whole?

Also, chiefbigcalf, will now make it so that you need the arrows to progress instead of the boomerang to fix that issue.

And Lejes, from an older post, walking across the spikes in the Palace of Nayru in that sideview section, that is one method of getting across if you don't have the Longshot. Was waiting to find somebody ask about that.

Edited by EddyTheOliveira, 27 November 2013 - 11:11 AM.

#24 Lejes

Lejes

Seeker of Runes

• Members

Posted 27 November 2013 - 06:57 PM

It was merely okay. Not intolerably bad, but probably not something I'd play again. I guess the fact I finished it at all is kind of like a passing grade, since I tend to just give up on quests that are irredeemably shit. The biggest suggestion I can offer you is to adopt a longer beta testing period. I heard from others that your test period was one entire day. You need several weeks minimum for people to play all the way through and offer feedback you can act on (and then they respond to those changes and you make further changes etc.) Your enemy placement tended toward overcrowded, which might have been unforgivable if you hadn't also given out the feather (it's a super broken item). Something to keep in mind for the future.

On more subjective opinion territory, I thought you didn't capitalize on the Sonic aspect enough. The writing felt really dry, like those could have been characters from literally any IP and it would have been interchangeable. The Sonic characters aren't blank slates to the degree Zelda characters are, and infusing the cut scenes with that pre-made personality could have made the game a lot funnier and/or more interesting. I suggest you listen to Eggman's "GET A LOAD OF THIS!" voice clip from Sonic Adventure 1 on loop for 9 straight hours if you plan on making Legend of Amy Rose 3. To get yourself in the right mindset.

#25 kimeramon

kimeramon

Experienced Forumer

• Members

Posted 27 November 2013 - 09:27 PM

Wow!

Some people are very strict about your game.

I'm ready for level 6 and I must say, it's been a while since I played a game that I like this much. The difficulty challenge is there. The feather is such a great item. Also, you didn't put a password on your game which is a big plus for me. I can make some minor change that I really appreciate. Like adding the dungeon map for every level or removing the magic meter. I'm still a 8 bombs. Is there any bomb upgrade in this game? In your game picture, I can see that you have more.

Thanks!

#26 ms_zelda_lady

ms_zelda_lady

Warrior

• Members

Posted 27 November 2013 - 09:40 PM

Is the magic sword available now that I'm in level 5? It's too much for me with just the white sword. Especially when the one blue bubble in the room is out of reach without the hammer and I'm dodging red bubbles while trying to get 2 blue whizzrobes..

#27 Lejes

Lejes

Seeker of Runes

• Members

Posted 27 November 2013 - 09:54 PM

You need a couple of level 5's dungeon items before you can get the magic sword. The feather helps a lot with dodging things.

#28 jwex001

jwex001

Senior

• Members

Posted 28 November 2013 - 03:42 AM

love it so far, in lv 9 right now,.  not too much i would change, except in the master's dungeon.

Spoiler

Edited by jwex001, 28 November 2013 - 03:43 AM.

#29 chiefbigcalf

chiefbigcalf

Warrior

• Members

Posted 28 November 2013 - 08:45 AM

I hope there is no key issue..BUT.. the key I was given to get the meat was used to enter the Pirate's Hideout ( accessible with the flute) and now I haven't a key for the Northern Chaos Ruins (which I haven't located, I don't think anyway) to get the meat. There must be a key somewhere for the Pirate's Hideout, but I haven't found it.  Can you clear this up for me?? Thanks. BTW, I think your quest is commendable..so take any criticism in a constructive manner as you are definitely improving your skill with each effort.

#30 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators

Posted 28 November 2013 - 10:54 AM

It was merely okay. Not intolerably bad, but probably not something I'd play again. I guess the fact I finished it at all is kind of like a passing grade, since I tend to just give up on quests that are irredeemably shit. The biggest suggestion I can offer you is to adopt a longer beta testing period. I heard from others that your test period was one entire day. You need several weeks minimum for people to play all the way through and offer feedback you can act on (and then they respond to those changes and you make further changes etc.) Your enemy placement tended toward overcrowded, which might have been unforgivable if you hadn't also given out the feather (it's a super broken item). Something to keep in mind for the future.

On more subjective opinion territory, I thought you didn't capitalize on the Sonic aspect enough. The writing felt really dry, like those could have been characters from literally any IP and it would have been interchangeable. The Sonic characters aren't blank slates to the degree Zelda characters are, and infusing the cut scenes with that pre-made personality could have made the game a lot funnier and/or more interesting. I suggest you listen to Eggman's "GET A LOAD OF THIS!" voice clip from Sonic Adventure 1 on loop for 9 straight hours if you plan on making Legend of Amy Rose 3. To get yourself in the right mindset.

Alright, thanks for the review. I'll talk all points into consideration. And yes, I do plan on making a Legend of Amy Rose 3, so I'll take all these points you've stated and improve on them greatly. And furthermore, yes I really should've extended that beta-testing phase. Well, I'm already coming up with a list of ideas for the next quest so thanks for stating all these points, and I will be sure to improve on all these in the future.

Wow!

Some people are very strict about your game.

I'm ready for level 6 and I must say, it's been a while since I played a game that I like this much. The difficulty challenge is there. The feather is such a great item. Also, you didn't put a password on your game which is a big plus for me. I can make some minor change that I really appreciate. Like adding the dungeon map for every level or removing the magic meter. I'm still a 8 bombs. Is there any bomb upgrade in this game? In your game picture, I can see that you have more.

Thanks!

Yeah, some people are strict about it, but I personally don't mind. All this criticism helps for me to improve :P

But anyway, yes there are bomb upgrades, but they're only bought in certain shops located across the overworld.

I hope there is no key issue..BUT.. the key I was given to get the meat was used to enter the Pirate's Hideout ( accessible with the flute) and now I haven't a key for the Northern Chaos Ruins (which I haven't located, I don't think anyway) to get the meat. There must be a key somewhere for the Pirate's Hideout, but I haven't found it.  Can you clear this up for me?? Thanks. BTW, I think your quest is commendable..so take any criticism in a constructive manner as you are definitely improving your skill with each effort.

The key into the Pirate's Hideout is where the path to Level 4 is (in the cave where the hungry Goriya is). Once you got that key, you got to head back near to the Northern Chaos Ruins (directly above the South) and one screen above where the Longshot is needed, that's where you play the flute and enter, and then you use your key there. In the dungeon, there's another key to the right side of where you start.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users