Photo

Screenshot of the Week 211

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
67 replies to this topic

Poll: SotW 211 (68 member(s) have cast votes)

Vote for your favorite shot.

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#16 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 20 May 2008 - 06:31 AM

Billy's is pretty good, but I don't really like the large diagonal sections of mountain, and why on earth are there orange rocks?
They still look just as stupid as they did before.
Couple of trees might not hurt either.

CC's has no definition between the brush and the floor, and the palette is horrible.
I don't like it at all.

Russ's already commented on his so I shan't make a fuss about that.
To go around saying how much better aLttP grass is than SD3 grass, then to use it like that, is perhaps not the best idea though.

And gray0x's is awesome =D
The only thing I don't really like is how high the mountains are; it tends to look better to have two lots of smaller mountains on top of each other I think, but that's not major.

#17 Old Inactive Member

Old Inactive Member

I'm back sorta.

• Members

Posted 20 May 2008 - 10:13 AM

QUOTE(Joe123 @ May 20 2008, 12:31 PM) View Post

Billy's is pretty good, but I don't really like the large diagonal sections of mountain, and why on earth are there orange rocks?
They still look just as stupid as they did before.
Couple of trees might not hurt either.

MTs: I don't know I like Diganle Mts
Rocks: A Bit of Varity not every rock is grey hey I've seen real Orange Rocks
Trees: Well I looked into the possible but I couldn't find a good place for one

#18 lucas92

lucas92

Defender

• Members

Posted 20 May 2008 - 10:26 AM

What's wrong with CastChaos's screen? It definably got my vote. It reminds me of the woods in the dark world in LTTP. icon_smile.gif

#19 Aslion

Aslion

End Fascism

• Members

Posted 20 May 2008 - 12:07 PM

QUOTE(CastChaos @ May 20 2008, 03:33 AM) View Post

gray0x: OK, I will rate it how it looks. It looks... black and white. Just like ZC looks when I bring up the menu and everything turns grayscale. Now go into the corner and think about why black and white photos were invented first and so why thought people neccessary to invent colour photos. I think you are just envy us for we have colour TV... icon_sweat.gif
But really, like a gray foliage was layered over the screen, covering all detail, design and layout.

Didn't you just apologize for this kind of crap? And maybe you should make your quest 4 colors. TRhe polls show that people like this better, do they not?

gray0x gets my vote. That's even oldr skool then other recent gb style quests. Love it man. You gonna release the tileset someday? ^_^

I might, just on a thread or whatever. Basically all it is though is the GB set with the LA palette.

#20 Cjc

Cjc

Cor Blimey!

• Members

Posted 20 May 2008 - 02:38 PM

It was a close one between billy and Gray0x. I chose by coin flip, and billy won.

I'm very impressed that Gray0x was able to effectively set up an entire quest with 4 colors. That is an awesome feat.

#21 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 20 May 2008 - 02:58 PM

QUOTE(CastChaos @ May 20 2008, 04:33 AM) View Post

Billy Ronald: You could add one or two ripple to the water, but else it's very good.

CastChaos: Skull Woods. icon_love.gif

gray0x: OK, I will rate it how it looks. It looks... black and white. Just like ZC looks when I bring up the menu and everything turns grayscale. Now go into the corner and think about why black and white photos were invented first and so why thought people neccessary to invent colour photos. I think you are just envy us for we have colour TV... icon_sweat.gif
But really, like a gray foliage was layered over the screen, covering all detail, design and layout.

Sounds like you're trying to convert gray0x to colour. Are you telling him to not be... different?

#22 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 20 May 2008 - 03:12 PM

QUOTE(Moonwhisper @ May 20 2008, 09:58 PM) View Post

Sounds like you're trying to convert gray0x to colour. Are you telling him to not be... different?

No, no. It's good if somebody is different. But if he is different by making something less. I consider having fewer colours like having no midis or any such restrictions applied. So, I want not only "different", but "better", too. So yes, it definitely sounds like I'm trying to convert gray0x, since I say grayscale is plain bad and I won't think otherwise, nor will I understand that anybody likes such restrictions, even more, treats it like it was a hard accomplishment. But that's all what I think. If I just slightly disliked grayscale, I wouldn't say all that. So expect that gray things will keep getting low rating from me, even more, I probably won't even play it, but will listen to the news, considering that it might turn out good.

Maybe the problem is entirely in me. Maybe it's just that my first games weren't grayscale (like the GB), so I look at it as plain bad. Maybe if my first console was PS or PS2, then I hated LoZ and ALttP, too. Or it can be that vintage is still bad.

#23 Shoelace

Shoelace

The Shaman of Sexy!

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 20 May 2008 - 03:20 PM

Shoelace had received no screenshots for the contest, so I quickly scanned through my folders, found a shot, uploaded it, and submitted it, to try to get the contest going. In fact, now that it's no longer needed, Shoelace, could you please delete my shot from the contest?

lol, well thanks for sending it in. But I can't delete it anyways. Plus, why did you submit it at AGN's SotW if it is such a bad screen in your opinion??? Just next time we are on a shortage on screens, send in a good one, I know you have a couple of those. icon_razz.gif

#24 Ricky of Kokiri

Ricky of Kokiri

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 20 May 2008 - 04:40 PM

QUOTE(CastChaos @ May 20 2008, 01:12 PM) View Post

No, no. It's good if somebody is different. But if he is different by making something less. I consider having fewer colours like having no midis or any such restrictions applied. So, I want not only "different", but "better", too. So yes, it definitely sounds like I'm trying to convert gray0x, since I say grayscale is plain bad and I won't think otherwise, nor will I understand that anybody likes such restrictions, even more, treats it like it was a hard accomplishment.

How is it a restriction, though? I mean, look at it this way: gray0x has chosen to design his quest in grayscale, using the GB tileset. I think most of us can agree that the GB tileset has more versatility than the Classic tileset. Yet, in the Featured Quest of the Month board, you have stated that the newest Classic quest PureZC has- Iparallele- is "full of epicness" and such. Now, I consider the Classic tileset to be restricting for my purposes; that does not mean the same applies to others. Clearly, you yourself understand that design styles do not dictate the quality of a quest, and yet here you are apparently saying it does. That strikes me as odd.

Maybe the problem is entirely in me. Maybe it's just that my first games weren't grayscale (like the GB), so I look at it as plain bad. Maybe if my first console was PS or PS2, then I hated LoZ and ALttP, too. Or it can be that vintage is still bad.

Okay, I can see where you're coming from with this. For me, personally, I thought OoT looked great until I played TP; going back to OoT a couple times since then has rather shocked me that it looks so much like cardboard. There is a... bias, I guess, when it comes to progress...

However, while this may be very clear in 3D, I, personally, haven't had much of a problem with 2D. I'm still playing Zelda Classic after seeing the improvements of Minish Cap and Four Swords Adventures; I'm still playing Classic and GB quests after seeing DoR. The same goes for color. I personally think the old black-and-white "I Love Lucy" sitcom blow pretty much all of the last decade's sitcoms clear out of the water. I personally think Link's Awakening rules over the two Oracle games. Why? Because of the other factors involved. I find LA to have been designed much better than the Oracle games. (This is purely an opinion, so Oracle fans better not jump me. icon_razz.gif)

So, yeah, I see where you're coming from about not liking grayscale simply because it's a "downgrade". However, the degree to which you're pre-judging gray0x's quest simply based on the color is rather silly. You're judging the book by its cover. Give it a chance. icon_wink.gif

#25 Shoelace

Shoelace

The Shaman of Sexy!

• Members

Posted 20 May 2008 - 04:45 PM

Well yeah, I like gray0x's quest, it looks good. I am interested in it. Also it fits why his name is gray0x. j/k lol. But I am actually interested in making a 4 color game too. However, the only reason why I haven't is I don't want to do too many side projects at once. lol

#26 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 20 May 2008 - 04:50 PM

Everyone should come and make 4 colour games with my FFA tileset!

#27 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members

Posted 20 May 2008 - 04:55 PM

gray0x'd this one, though billy did an excellent job, too.

#28 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 20 May 2008 - 05:03 PM

QUOTE(Ricky of Kokiri @ May 20 2008, 11:40 PM) View Post

How is it a restriction, though? (...)

Well, this way all areas get the same palette...
I played the colour version of LA, couldn't stand the original. I think black/white can look good only at sidescrollers with small screen and with few stages, so it doesn't get boring.

But I still don't like that screen. I remember though, when me and my sister turned SotW into a black/white contest. This amazing plot twist means I once liked black/white... but only for certain areas, not for a whole quest. :O

#29 ElLibertador

ElLibertador

Love and Peace

• Members

Posted 20 May 2008 - 06:56 PM

CC, I'm sorry but I think your thoughts about how good a game is, is stupid. A game should never be looked at because of it's graphics, like... color. Look at the original Kirby's. I thought it was better than most of the stuff now. And Kirby is colorful like hell now (not sure how colorful hell is though icon_razz.gif ). You really need to give it a chance. And you said less color reduces detail...not really it's still there, except with out color.

If you ignore all my opinions (like I did yours) -- then at least give the quest a chance.

Edited by LinkMystro, 20 May 2008 - 09:13 PM.

#30 The Grim Reaper

The Grim Reaper

Adept

• Members

Posted 21 May 2008 - 03:02 AM

Gray0x. Color doesn't really matter to me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users