• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Taco Chopper

Taco Chopper

protector of the darn forum

• Administrators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 16 July 2021 - 11:59 PM

mods please delete if not allowed. i know this isn't reddit, but i was just thinking before i drifted off to sleep last night - how cool would it be to get derisory substance back in 2021. new decade, new me, new derisory substance.

have a think, let me know. preferably here and not with a "ban" hammer. btw has anyone got any cool zscript ideas, i want to incorporate them into m4l

thank u

• Rambly, Hergiswi and Anthus like this

#2 Hergiswi

Hergiswi

don't look for me, i'm just a story you've been told

• Members

Posted 17 July 2021 - 12:03 AM

i know this isn't reddit

i'm thankful every day for everything that isn't reddit

• ShadowTiger, Rambly, Adem and 3 others like this

#3 Taco Chopper

Taco Chopper

• Administrators

Posted 17 July 2021 - 12:13 AM

i'm thankful every day for everything that isn't reddit

now just you listen HERE, HOW AM I MEANT TO GET MY CONTENT ABOUT MY FREAKING WHOLESOME EPIC KEANU DOGGO CHUNGUS 100s!!!!?????????? THATS INAPPROPRIATE TAKE THAT BACK OR I'LL BE TAKING BACK MY PUREZC GOLD FROM YOU

• Rambly, Hergiswi, Anthus and 3 others like this

#4 Valerie

Valerie

Illustrious

• Members

Posted 17 July 2021 - 01:42 PM

Yes please bring back "derisory substance" it used to help put me in a better mood, and when I'm in a better mood I'm more likely to work on ZC stuff instead of sleeping...
  • Rambly likes this

#5 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 17 July 2021 - 03:31 PM

What if I told you General Discussion is the new Derisory Substance?

• Rambly, Hergiswi, Anthus and 4 others like this

#6 Chris

Chris

The Sun Is in Your Hand!

• Members

Posted 17 July 2021 - 04:21 PM

First time I hear of this mysterious derisory substance.

#7 Hergiswi

Hergiswi

don't look for me, i'm just a story you've been told

• Members

Posted 17 July 2021 - 08:56 PM

just found out i've been mispronouncing "derisory" ever since i first learned the word on pzc over a decade ago

• Rambly and Taco Chopper like this

#8 Rambly

Rambly

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 17 July 2021 - 11:35 PM

btw has anyone got any cool zscript ideas, i want to incorporate them into m4l

wait you're making a quest? whoa

#9 Taco Chopper

Taco Chopper

• Administrators

Posted 18 July 2021 - 01:54 AM

wait you're making a quest? whoa

i bought a dell optiplex 9020 to do music stuff with because my dual core i7 macbook pro from 2012 was struggling to render 50 track ableton sessions running dozens of plugins, particularly CPU-intensive ones like serum, baby audio's smooth operator (which is a REALLY good dynamic frequency processor at a much cheaper cost compared to soothe2 or gulfoss but i am RAMBLING), and then pretty much anything izotope make that make your stuff sound slick and smooth. i didn't want to pay through the roof for a new mac, and frankly cross-compatibility for me is easier now than it was ten years ago. the optiplex was like $270 AUD - refurbished with a 128 gb SSD and an 8 gb DDR3 stick of ram, but i swapped out the SSD for a bigger one, and i want to put in a GT1030, another stick of ram, and potentially swap out the optical drive for a HDD caddy so i can run a 1tb slave drive in place of an optical drive, because CDs are outdated

in saying that i've spent more time using zquest than ableton since i got it. i also have made roughly a third of an overworld map in this time, i wanted to do something like this for years but the osx port of zquest only goes up to 2.53 cos they swapped over to 64-bit apps only with catalina. also i really, really wasn't a fan of the hotkeys and layout on the mac version - after maybe half an hour of fiddling i took back to the windows version like a duck to water, but i'd spend an hour or two at a time on the mac version and get barely anything done, so i'd never bother

kinda aiming for a metroidvania-esque exploration vibe where all the caves and dungeons link up to some degree. 

anyway here's a screenshot

3b46c9ce782ff89aa27be9ff3b107ce8.png

i'm ok with this. does this mean i can put a picture of my partner's dog on here in a separate thread then

Edited by Taco Chopper, 18 July 2021 - 01:56 AM.

• ShadowTiger, Mitsukara and Russ like this

#10 Rambly

Rambly

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 18 July 2021 - 12:19 PM

kinda aiming for a metroidvania-esque exploration vibe where all the caves and dungeons link up to some degree.

anyway here's a screenshot

hey that looks pretty dang good. so if i'm understanding right, it's still going to have dungeons and stuff like with triforce pieces or whatever but also the dungeons are gonna be interconnected? that actually sounds really neat and i also don't know that any quests have done that before. in general i'm a big fan of worlds being interconnected in interesting ways

i'm ok with this. does this mean i can put a picture of my partner's dog on here in a separate thread then

precedent says yes

#11 Valerie

Valerie

Illustrious

• Members

Posted 18 July 2021 - 01:43 PM

So does that mean I can post silly pics I made for no reason?
50580999766_aba2a3702c_o.png

#12 Taco Chopper

Taco Chopper

• Administrators

Posted 18 July 2021 - 10:14 PM

hey that looks pretty dang good. so if i'm understanding right, it's still going to have dungeons and stuff like with triforce pieces or whatever but also the dungeons are gonna be interconnected? that actually sounds really neat and i also don't know that any quests have done that before. in general i'm a big fan of worlds being interconnected in interesting ways

yeah pretty much. i ended up working in game sales a few years back, bought a ps4 and realised how much i love stuff like dark souls, castlevania and bloodstained. stuff where the worldbuilding has this tendency to loop back around and have a really big focus on exploration and item collection, and how the player has that freedom to run around wherever they want, even with the chance they may get annihilated by some higher level enemy by accident

i played isolation! a couple years back - i think it's the only quest i've played between 2012 and now - and i really liked how even though the world was quite small, the 4 dungeons were all interconnected (albeit in a basic way) to create one super dungeon. i probably wouldn't be doing something like that as much as focusing on cave networks or more "natural" paths between what would normally be standalone dungeons. 

case in point is this part of the map: two dungeon entrances (they're both on different screens so NO CRITIQUE PLEASE) that would have a cave-esque section that would link the two and provide a shortcut between them. the top dungeon has a mirror darknut guarding it, the bottom has a lost woods maze two screens before it

sVVTdrB.png

at this stage i don't think i'd be doing more than four main dungeons (3 triforce pieces, plus level 9), along with mini-dungeons that contain weapons, special items, etc. i don't wanna be too ambitious with what i can and can't do and i'd rather just make a quest i'd enjoy at the ripe old age of 28, than do what i was doing when i was 14-18 - i.e. linear map design where i'd build a town or something and then put "level 1" in it and then make an absolute mess of a quest with 9 dungeons, 56 maps or whatever

#13 Valerie

Valerie

Illustrious

• Members

Posted 19 July 2021 - 03:08 PM

at the ripe old age of 28,

That's not old! You silly taco!

#14 Rambly

Rambly

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 19 July 2021 - 04:44 PM

at this stage i don't think i'd be doing more than four main dungeons (3 triforce pieces, plus level 9), along with mini-dungeons that contain weapons, special items, etc. i don't wanna be too ambitious with what i can and can't do and i'd rather just make a quest i'd enjoy at the ripe old age of 28, than do what i was doing when i was 14-18 - i.e. linear map design where i'd build a town or something and then put "level 1" in it and then make an absolute mess of a quest with 9 dungeons, 56 maps or whatever

that's good thinkin'. i've definitely found that i prefer stuff that's fun to play and replay more than stuff that's super long. i feel like quest design effort is better expended on making a handful of ideas good than expanding with a million half-baked ideas, and i also feel like giving the player lots of freedom definitely gives them the chance to experiment and try all sorts of crazy shit. there's a lot of fun in overcoming adversary that seems almost unbeatable at first and charting your own course through a world. i also got super into the souls games a while back and i've always loved castlevania so that kinda stuff is real good to me

but yeah if you manage to get this thing out let us all know, i'm actually super interested in it!!

That's not old! You silly taco!

he's not a taco! he's a taco CHOPPER, it's all in the NAME,

#15 Evan20000

Evan20000

P͏҉ę͟w͜� ̢͝!

• Members

Posted 23 July 2021 - 09:17 AM

Why aren't you guys on irc anymore? sixlabrats is feelin' real empty without you all.

• Adem likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users