Photo

Need testers for Dreams of Yesterday 2013.

• Please log in to reply
1041 replies to this topic

#1021 vravelo

vravelo

I was killed a lot""---, try me now..!

• Members

Posted 19 November 2019 - 08:02 PM

Ah, I see. Try replacing your DoY250.qst file with this.

thanks shadow, nice to see'' ya, downloaded this link, no playing right now (protecting my back) will give swirl at first chance :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

• ShadowTiger likes this

#1022 TailsFan109

TailsFan109

• Members

Posted 23 November 2019 - 01:27 PM

I have been playing this quest for some time now. It is a very interesting one... but I am having a lot of trouble getting this one key in Blester, I even waited to get the ladder... but it doesn't work on this one particular hole, and I just don't see how it is possible to get the key, I have pushed this block everywhere I can think of. I didn't want to resort to asking for help... but I'm unsure what else to do... help?

Fcndq9Em.png

#1023 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 23 November 2019 - 01:37 PM

Hi there! Glad you're enjoying the quest. I provided a bug-fix for that room a while ago. Replace your current "DoY250.qst" file with this, then revisit that room.

#1024 hiryu64

hiryu64

• Members

Posted 05 July 2020 - 03:24 AM

So I recently decided to revisit this quest, as I tend to do every few years. Last time I played this was back in 2015, I think? Maybe a bit more recently... idk, hard to keep track. Looks like a good amount has changed, including some areas being completed that were still under construction. And tons of bugfixes! Yay!

Are you still actively working on this? Cause I'm keeping track of things I've noticed in the form of bugs and feedback. I remember really liking this game, but the sheer amount of jank and bugs kept the experience from being truly 10/10. I mean, given the tools used, it's still fantastic. But I'd love to be able to help iron out some of the outstanding kinks if possible.

#1025 SofaKing

SofaKing

Defender

• Members

Posted 07 July 2020 - 01:04 PM

I can't speak for Shadow but as far as I know any active work is on C-Dawg's other quest, Sabotage Dragoon.  I don't THINK anything else is currently happening with this unless you encounter something game-stopping which I am sure would get a fix, which you shouldn't.  It plays pretty well overall at this point.  I give it a go every few years myself. 

#1026 hiryu64

hiryu64

• Members

Posted 15 July 2020 - 07:34 PM

I guess I'll have to check that one out, then. I finished DoY yesterday -- it's a much nicer and smoother experience than the last time I played it. That said, I did find a number of things during my playthrough, ranging from typos to minor annoyances to visual bugs to straight-up soft-locks (the latter of which were mostly in the final few dungeons). I also noted my thoughts and feedback on some design aspects and things I felt could be changed. I was, uh, pretty thorough, so I have a lot of things to report. Like... a lot. I wouldn't expect every point to be addressed, but I just wanted to be thorough so that Shadow or whomever could have it on-hand and decide what was worth addressing versus what wasn't.

Rather than dump everything here, I'll just hold on to my notes for now and offer them up if Shadow or anyone else is interested, especially since I don't know to what extent any work is still being done on this. Just DM me to get in touch :D

(Also, I never found the secret world-linking mines T-T)

#1027 Asylus

Asylus

• Members

Posted 18 July 2020 - 11:43 PM

I played this game a long time ago.  Something isn't right though, I get to the Train Station and get the Boss Key for the dungeon and hookshot to his room in the very northeast corner of 1-F and the door opens but I can't walk into the room.  It's obviously a bug of sorts but is there something I'm missing which will trigger things differently?

#1028 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 20 July 2020 - 04:31 AM

Whoah, somehow I'm not getting replies to this topic.  I just clicked that magic "Follow" button because it deactivated itself over time.  Yikes.  Sorry for the delays, folks!  I have a few minutes before work so I'll see what I can respond with and to.  If I don't address your points just yet, I'll get to them soon. ^_^ 

So I recently decided to revisit this quest, as I tend to do every few years. Last time I played this was back in 2015, I think? Maybe a bit more recently... idk, hard to keep track. Looks like a good amount has changed, including some areas being completed that were still under construction. And tons of bugfixes! Yay!
Bug-fixes are nice, yes.  Most definitely.  Kind of tough to keep track of what breaks when one thing starts working again.  A lot of combos in the quest have been re-used, and they rely on REALLY old super-janky methods (Like that "Trigger" -> Boss Room event schtick.)  to function properly and are very, very easily broken.  It's both a divine balancing act and a divine comedy. 

Are you still actively working on this?
Nothing to stop me popping back into it to issue a few bug-fixes.  Doesn't take that long.

Cause I'm keeping track of things I've noticed in the form of bugs and feedback. I remember really liking this game, but the sheer amount of jank and bugs kept the experience from being truly 10/10. I mean, given the tools used, it's still fantastic. But I'd love to be able to help iron out some of the outstanding kinks if possible.
Ah, you're the best!  Thanks very much for the bugs! 

I can't speak for Shadow but as far as I know any active work is on C-Dawg's other quest, Sabotage Dragoon.  I don't THINK anything else is currently happening with this unless you encounter something game-stopping which I am sure would get a fix, which you shouldn't.  It plays pretty well overall at this point.  I give it a go every few years myself.
  Yep, I just did a big ol' run with Sabotage Dragoon.  Although it will forever be a demo unless C-Dawg rushes back to it,  (Which is highly unlikely given that he's moved on to games programmed in C++, though I know he wants to do this much justice at some point.)  it's now much more playable with lots of bug-fixes and logistic fixes.  There's a topic for it somewhere in this very forum.

(And the paragraph above)

Rather than dump everything here, I'll just hold on to my notes for now and offer them up if Shadow or anyone else is interested, especially since I don't know to what extent any work is still being done on this. Just DM me to get in touch :D

(Also, I never found the secret world-linking mines T-T)

Ew, soft locks.  Those aren't as fun as they used to be.  Harr.  I'd love to see your notes, sure.  What format are they in?  I.e.  Google docs?  IMGUR image album with captions?  Screenshots with general locations always make everything better, and I'd be super-grateful for them.

As for the secret mines, I never went much more beyond them than designing a tileset and combo page, creating a first "test" screen with a wonky flashing palette that I didn't like, and putting one entrance in the desert.  (The "Follow the twigs but stay away from them." thing that leads to a L4 potion now.  That's where the entrance was, but isn't active now.)

I played this game a long time ago.  Something isn't right though, I get to the Train Station and get the Boss Key for the dungeon and hookshot to his room in the very northeast corner of 1-F and the door opens but I can't walk into the room.  It's obviously a bug of sorts but is there something I'm missing which will trigger things differently?
Yep, definitely a bug.  If you've saved your game outside of the boss room, try replacing your DoY250.qst file with this.  I just tested it and it worked fine. 

#1029 hiryu64

hiryu64

• Members

Posted 20 July 2020 - 08:53 AM

I'd love to see your notes, sure.  What format are they in?  I.e.  Google docs?  IMGUR image album with captions?  Screenshots with general locations always make everything better, and I'd be super-grateful for them.

Right now I have two text files labeled 'bugs.txt' and 'feedback.txt'. Each has a bulleted list of bugs I encountered or feedback I had about a specific part of the game organized by location in which I noted each one, along with a section for general bugs/feedback. I tried to take screenshots for most of them and note which screenshot corresponds to which bullet, so there's a big ol' folder of nearly 150 screenshots to go along with both lists (I told you I was thorough). The bugs are self-explanatory while the feedback mostly relates to my personal opinions/gripes about game flow and user experience, some of which might require a bit more effort to address than others.

I zipped everything up and sent you a link -- check your DMs. I could also take a bit more time and put stuff into a more readable format like a Google doc or sheet file and rank each one with my perceived importance/priority if you think that'd be helpful. Like I said, I wouldn't expect you to get to everything, so I'd be willing to rank the issues by what I believe would be their priority as well as level of effort (at least, as best as I can without knowing how to operate ZQuest). There were at least a few bullet points (mostly relating to feedback) that I said I would make mockups for but haven't gotten around to yet, so I can do that if you think that'd be useful.

Oh, I also put together a music list for people who want to know where the various in-game tracks are from. Feel free to drop it in the OP.

Music Listing (potential spoilers)

Edited by hiryu64, 20 July 2020 - 03:39 PM.

• ShadowTiger likes this

#1030 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 20 July 2020 - 02:30 PM

The bugs are self-explanatory while the feedback mostly relates to my personal opinions/gripes about game flow and user experience, some of which might require a bit more effort to address than others.
That'sa lotta screenshots 'n bugs!  Thank you very much! :bounce:

I have no qualms with ideas for quest flow.  I'm definitely not the original designer of the quest and I don't want to modify TOO much of the original concept, (I can MODIFY (A bit) or ADD to it, but not remove.)  But ideas are always fun to toss around.

I zipped everything up and sent you a link -- check your DMs. I could also take a bit more time and put stuff into a more readable format like a Google doc or sheet file and rank each one with my perceived importance/priority if you think that'd be helpful.
As long as there's screenshots that are separate from each other so I know what text or description goes to what screenshot, it's all gravy.  Thanks a bunch!  I'll check on that shortly.

(Music list)
  Whew, that's a lovely list.  Thanks for it!  Eventually I want to link to each track and post it in the first post, with your name credited of course.  Hot damn, that's a nice list. <3

I always thought The Gaia Stone from Terranigma was called "Path through the Sun."  That's how I have it saved on my hard drive, anyway.  Weird.  Good to know though!  Thanks!

#1031 hiryu64

hiryu64

• Members

Posted 20 July 2020 - 03:42 PM

Eventually I want to link to each track and post it in the first post

psst, check out the list again

I always thought The Gaia Stone from Terranigma was called "Path through the Sun."  That's how I have it saved on my hard drive, anyway.

Yeah, not sure what the deal is there. I've seen it labeled as "The Gaia Stone" or "Tunnel Through the Sun" depending on where I checked. I just settled on what I saw from the most "official" looking sources. /shrug

Edited by hiryu64, 20 July 2020 - 03:43 PM.

#1032 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 20 July 2020 - 04:41 PM

Ah, right, Tunnel inside the Sun. That's where I got it.  Whew.

And holy cow, how long did it take you to find and link to all of those?  That's amazing.  Can I copy and paste that into the first post, please?  That'd be great.  

#1033 hiryu64

hiryu64

• Members

Posted 20 July 2020 - 04:46 PM

Ah, right, Tunnel inside the Sun. That's where I got it. Whew.

And holy cow, how long did it take you to find and link to all of those? That's amazing. Can I copy and paste that into the first post, please? That'd be great.

Like ten minutes lol. I had already verified most of them before, so it was pretty easy to find everything. Go ahead and add it to the OP if you like.
  • ShadowTiger likes this

#1034 P-Tux7

P-Tux7

💛

• Members

Posted 21 July 2020 - 03:25 AM

Would you mind sending your list to me as well? I'm sure I could learn quite a bit about quest design from it.

#1035 hiryu64

hiryu64

• Members

Posted 21 July 2020 - 04:12 PM

Would you mind sending your list to me as well? I'm sure I could learn quite a bit about quest design from it.

You mean my bug/feedback list? I wasn't planning on sharing it publicly, and I don't think it'd be much use to anyone other than Shadow anyway. I'm not a quest designer or a game designer in general, nor did I write my notes with that purpose in mind, so I can't imagine it being useful in that sense.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users