The Slipstream Official Release

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 Joaish (RedTribeLink)

Joaish (RedTribeLink)

Junior

• Members

Posted 16 August 2019 - 09:14 AM

Download the quest here (note: this was made in 2.5.2): https://www.purezc.n...e=quests&id=699

This quest was originally made for the two week quest contest back in 2015.  For a while, I was adding new content to the game until a couple of years ago I had stopped working on it due to motivation.  However, I looked back at the quest a few weeks ago and decided to finish up the last little bit of what needed to be done and finally get this quest released on the database (something I personally felt was long overdue).

Hope you guys enjoy the official release of The Slipstream, now with new postgame content!  :)

This will also serve as a help thread, so if you guys have any questions, feel free to ask!

• Twilight Knight, Shane, Jared and 3 others like this

#2 Lüt

Lüt

Germanize

• Members

Posted 16 August 2019 - 12:04 PM

Oh, I remember this!

I was going through my 400 ZC alpha/beta folders a few weeks ago and consolidating them down to a couple final folders, and I came across your 2017 expo entry for this. I was wondering whatever happened to it.

I really did like it back then, so hopefully I can play the final version soon.
  • Joaish (RedTribeLink) likes this

#3 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 16 August 2019 - 01:42 PM

This quest is awesome so far! Got so lost considering I figured out later that I could go to the town. :P

Loving the use of DK64 music. :)

• Joaish (RedTribeLink) likes this

#4 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members

Posted 16 August 2019 - 07:59 PM

Any tips for

Spoiler
? He's really hard.

#5 Joaish (RedTribeLink)

Joaish (RedTribeLink)

Junior

• Members

Posted 16 August 2019 - 08:14 PM

Jared:

Spoiler

• Jared likes this

#6 Aevin

Aevin

• Members

Posted 17 August 2019 - 02:14 AM

I was fond of the original, and this has built on it beautifully. I don't want to spoil it for anyone, but it's definitely worth replaying to see some new stuff.

Still working my way through. Looking forward to playing more tomorrow. :)

• Jared, Joaish (RedTribeLink) and Epsalon ZX like this

#7 aranche

aranche

Initiate

• Members

Posted 17 August 2019 - 03:17 AM

RedTribeLink  First off all what a relaxing game its great i have one question in the Hermitage Swamp you get the kinectic sword ive have that but i need a key but checked every screen incl the sphere but no key any hints ?

#8 Aevin

Aevin

• Members

Posted 17 August 2019 - 03:27 AM

The one I struggled with was at a dead end with a single enemy.

• aranche likes this

#9 aranche

aranche

Initiate

• Members

Posted 17 August 2019 - 03:55 AM

The one I struggled with was at a dead end with a single enemy.

well ive found it thanks Aevin i never thought it was possible to have 2 items on 1 screen

#10 aranche

aranche

Initiate

• Members

Posted 17 August 2019 - 09:54 AM

in Hermitage Swamp reversed is a life scroll how to get that ?

#11 Joaish (RedTribeLink)

Joaish (RedTribeLink)

Junior

• Members

Posted 17 August 2019 - 10:01 AM

Aranche, to get to the life scroll there:

Spoiler

#12 James24

James24

Adept

• Banned

Posted 18 August 2019 - 01:18 AM

Nice quest so far and I hadn't noticed any bugs until this one.  Unfortunately I think its a game-breaking bug

mBSDJ9H.png

When I defeat the boss of Moon Meadow in part two, I get stuck in the room and I don't get the last piece of elemental ore.  And without the last piece of ore I'm completely stuck because the story can't go on.

I'm playing it on the hardest difficulty and I'm on 70 deaths so far and for the most part I'm enjoying the quest so far.  You have different modes of difficulty so I presume that the hard difficulties are your attempt to win over the challenge quest players.  The difficulty is there and the quest is certainly no pushover but it feels artificial and unnatural.  Its kind of like someone has written something in their native language and then put it through Google translate and I'm hearing the translated version which has all kinds of syntax and grammatical errors.  I can immediately tell that this guy isn't a native speaker but I understand the message.

So why does it feel so artificial and unnatural?  First, the experience system can be exploited if a player spends enough time grinding up to the part where they need relics to continue levelling up.  If a game allows a player to manipulate the difficulty through grinding then they can legitimately make it very easy and the challenging difficulty is gone.  Its like Zelda 2 on NES - a player can make the early game very easy by grinding XP and levelling up.  Second, there are blades of grass everywhere.  A player can refill their life and magic whenever there's just a single tile by grinding and that can never be allowed in a very difficult quest.  Third, items that decrease difficulty are hidden or can be grinded for.  There are heart containers, magic containers and relics that can be found throughout the quest and are hidden behind secrets.  If you miss these secrets then the game becomes much harder.  But if a game is centered around hard challenge then it shouldn't be about how good a player is at finding secrets - its about how well they fight in combat.

Its quite obvious when playing the game that the central theme is puzzles, secrets, nice graphics, easy difficulty which is what I presume that you enjoy.  The kind of quest which appeals to the modern Nintendo Zelda player which is the vast majority of the player-base here.  The difficulty buff is quite cheap and therefore will never win over challenge quest players compared to a quest whose central theme is the challenge of the quest (see Liberation of Hyrule, Armageddon Quest, Mike's Fun House, Isle of Rebirth Heroic).  What can you do about all this?  Not much I'm afraid - you're bound by the first and second laws of quest making.  Only professional developers who are out to earn large profits from challenge quest players would ever spend large amounts of time making a quest that they themselves don't really and truly enjoy deep down.

Finally, I predict that this quest will "sell" well.  You should expect a large fanbase with lots of 4 or 5 star ratings on par with recent hits like Rite of the Storm and Yuurei.

#13 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 18 August 2019 - 09:12 AM

Anyone know where the purple elemental guardian is? I've got all the ores and it looks like this is the last thing I need to progress, but I have no clue where to find it. The other three were all in areas loosely connected with their elements but the only thing I can think of for Sliptonite is Moon Meadows. It does have one screen with very suspicious floor tiles, but there's nothing there.

Edit: Found it, I didn't realize that

Spoiler

Edited by Moosh, 18 August 2019 - 09:30 AM.

#14 SofaKing

SofaKing

Defender

• Members

Posted 18 August 2019 - 12:00 PM

I'll probably get a warning point for this but I don't care -- James24 we get how you feel about difficulty.   You've made it very clear to everyone.  You don't need to point it out in every post.  Your schtick gets really old.  

Edited by SofaKing, 18 August 2019 - 12:01 PM.

• Shane and Moosh like this

#15 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 18 August 2019 - 12:20 PM

I'll probably get a warning point for this but I don't care -- James24 we get how you feel about difficulty.   You've made it very clear to everyone.  You don't need to point it out in every post.  Your schtick gets really old.  

Call me a thought criminal too then, because I'm sick of it as well. James has been injecting his philosophy about difficulty into all his reviews recently and it really brings a downer on everything. I get that that's his thing and he likes to argue about it, but he's been laying it on especially thick recently. Particularly the speculation about reception aspect. You can give your thoughts on the game without speculating how it'll "sell" to the greater community. That shit just makes people self conscious about stuff that ultimately doesn't matter.

It's a damn good quest. Just beat it today. That last boss was pretty cool for being made of just newbie boss scripts. I was actually fairly challenged on normal, so I'm rather curious how the quest plays on higher difficulties.

• SofaKing, Shane and Joaish (RedTribeLink) like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users