Photo

Camera scripting.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 TheGreatReturn

TheGreatReturn

• Members

Posted 17 November 2019 - 07:13 PM

I haven't been here in a few years, so this has been probably talked about before. Is it possible to write a script that has the camera center on Link to the center of the screen, spanning multiple screens until a normal scroll transition like in (A Link to The Past)...

#2 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 17 November 2019 - 07:20 PM

Possible? Yes. It's been done before to varying degrees. Worth while? No, not at all. It requires rescripting enemies, solidity, warps, secrets... basically every aspect of ZC, so at that point you might as well just use a different engine.

#3 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 17 November 2019 - 07:58 PM

It depend on your desired outcome. I have this in a traditional DQ style GPG, and to a lesser extend in an experimental, more traditional, quest. Enemies aren't an issue, now that we have real npc scripts, for me, but triggers, interaction objects, and the like, and another matter.

I seem to repeatedly post these in response to this question:

Please, do not ask when these will be complete, or available for common use. Codebae:

https://github.com/Z...RPG/ScrollingZC

#4 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 17 November 2019 - 08:13 PM

https://www.purezc.n...showtopic=71635
I made a fully scrolling quest for the Random Theme Quest Contest 3 complete with all the included script systems in the download. I'm not the proudest of it as a quest, having come from the same contest that also gave us the incredible Rite of the Storm. But it's a neat proof of concept.

• Anthus and Avaro like this

#5 TheGreatReturn

TheGreatReturn

• Members

Posted 17 November 2019 - 08:22 PM

So I would have to write a script for everything the player interacted with. Oh well, figured I'd give it a shot. I see its possible, but not to the degree I need it. I'm currently working on a quest using the Pure Tileset and importing as many ALTTP sprites I can.

Looking at it from programmers view though, this could be easily done with adding code in the engine to allow camera fixes.

Edited by TheGreatReturn, 17 November 2019 - 08:24 PM.

#6 Emily

Emily

Scripter / Dev

• ZC Developers

Posted 18 November 2019 - 12:05 AM

Looking at it from programmers view though, this could be easily done with adding code in the engine to allow camera fixes.

Err, no. Not even remotely. There is no 'camera', there is 'the current screen'. There is no panning between screens or anything; scrolling is an extremely hard-coded thing. To allow for moving the camera, would require first writing a way of loading things from multiple screens at once; you're talking rewriting 90% of ZC, from scratch, effectively; and years of work.. Not at all 'easily done'.
  • Avaro likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users