Photo

Metroidvania Contest (Official Announcement)

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 Architect Abdiel

Architect Abdiel

Kingdom Builder

• Members

Posted 29 June 2017 - 06:24 AM

So, thanks to the responses in the initial thread, I have compiled the rules and guidelines.

Ahem. Welcome one and all to the Metroidvania quest contest. In this contest, you will be working to create a quest in the Metroidvania genre. There are no restrictions on length or subgenres, as long as the quest can be defined as Metroidvania style. But what is Metroidvania?

Alright. So how's this?

A metoidvania quest comes from the concept of the mixture of Metroid and Castlevania, and refers to a type of quest that takes place within one large defined area, made of smaller subareas. It can have a linear, semilinear or non linear style. But it is designed in a way where upgrades allow you to progress further through the subareas. Metroidvania quests thrive off of interconnectivety and seemless transitions. Each area may contain its own subgoal, but they all should lead to the same major goal. Metroidvania quests also thrive off a certain feeling, so to get that feeling, I recommend playing Freedom in Chains, Hitodama, Lyrics of Death, Rite of the Storm and Yuurei.

Rules and Guidelines:

1. You have one week to plan.
2. The only restriction on this planning time is that you cannot make any screens for your quest.
3. After the week of planning, you will have one month to design your quest.
4. You can create or use any resources you desire for your quest.
5. Be wary of themes that may be too mature, or especially, offensive.
6. Partner projects are allowed.
7. Ask any questions you wish.

The categories that will be used in the final poll are.

Beat Overall
Best Interconnectivity
Best Upgrades
Most Ambitious

Planning Ends:
Friday, July 7th, 12:00 AM EST

Quest Deadline:
Monday, August 7th, 12:00 AM EST

Edited by Shoshon the Elegant, 29 June 2017 - 06:35 AM.

• Anthus, Shane, Eddy and 7 others like this

#2 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 29 June 2017 - 06:45 AM

I'll definitely be giving this a shot. Was genuine fun making Rite of the Storm and I feel I got a better and more familiar grasp with how Metroidvania are designed. :)

• Anthus likes this

#3 Architect Abdiel

Architect Abdiel

Kingdom Builder

• Members

Posted 29 June 2017 - 08:14 AM

I was asked this question, so I am gonna answer it here as well.

While subscreen editing and string writing are considered designing, I am perfectly fine with both being setup beforehand during planning.

As long as we refrain from making screens.

Edited by Shoshon the Elegant, 29 June 2017 - 08:14 AM.

• Shane likes this

#4 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 29 June 2017 - 08:47 AM

Most Ambitious

Oh hey, look, there's the one I'm aiming for.

Definitely entering. I'm collaborating with Aevin this time, cuz Moosh had the good sense to say, "Ya know what Russ, no, I don't need this stress in my life." for once.

Honestly, I'm not sure I can finish in time. This summer's pretty busy for me (moving across the country at some point in July and actually starting medical school on August 7th), but I'm gonna try my best regardless. I've already got a good sense for the general flow of the quest (even if I haven't planned all the areas) and what kind of collectibles to have/how I'm gonna script them, so I think I'm in decent standing for the planning phase.

No best story award this time though, so there goes the one I actually had a shot of winning. :P
  • Jared, Aevin and Naru like this

#5 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 29 June 2017 - 11:06 AM

I'd enter... except I'm too busy with other stuff to get done with preparatory work in a week.

Plus, history has shown me that while I might be able to finish a quest in a month; I can't get it tested in that time.

However, if anyone wants to use the tileset and scripts I've assembled; they're available here.

I don't have an extensive setup readme available as of yet, but it wouldn't take long to assemble one.

#6 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 29 June 2017 - 11:28 AM

I'll see what I can do. Just don't expect anything too fancy from me, but I think I have a good grasp on this concept. :P
  • Naru likes this

#7 runaru

runaru

:3

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him, They / Them

Posted 30 June 2017 - 02:24 AM

I will enter, no promises I'll finish the quest but I'll try at least.

#8 HeroOfFire

HeroOfFire

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 04 July 2017 - 04:14 PM

I've been wanting to make a proper Metroidvania with Zelda gameplay, and I have some ideas I want to try that don't really fit with the current quest I've been working on.

Best Upgrades huh? Interesting. Certainly won't have lots of those. Not at all.

Now I just need to decide on a tileset by Saturday.

• Avaro likes this

#9 TheRock

TheRock

Go glitches

• Members

Posted 05 July 2017 - 03:58 PM

I'll enter. 

• Shane likes this

#10 Orithan

Orithan

Studying Scientist - Commission from Silvixen

• Members

Posted 05 July 2017 - 05:20 PM

I've already mentioned this elsewhere but I am going to be saying it again; I'm joining in. No guarantee that I will get the quest finished, considering how ambitious this project is, but I will try.

And thus I sail into entirely uncharted waters, regarding central design concepts in ZC...

• Eddy, Avaro and Jared like this

#11 Naru

Naru

Magus

• Members

Posted 06 July 2017 - 03:06 AM

I'm not going to enter, but I had a dumb idea not long ago that should only work well with a metroidvania-styled quest. How about using the no-subscreen-screen data pretty much everywhere together with the select a+b on the subscreen rule, only with some "safe-spots" where you can access the subscreen and see your life/ammo and change your items and maybe also have the only save-points available. To be unaware of your health and ammo can be really devious after all and there are a lot of possibilities for creating multiple alternate paths through the 2-items-at-a-time-limit. It should be a nice challenge to set up such a thing and I haven't seen a quest of this kind yet. And it is possible to do this without scripts - though some signs or so that warn you how much damage you take from certain enemies would be helpful to keep a better count of your remaining hearts.
  • Avaro likes this

#12 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 06 July 2017 - 11:33 AM

Planning phase is almost over  :dead:

I have a plan and tileset thats mostly done. No scripts yet. Currently in the lenghty process of finding music. This contest is the perfect chance for me to make this quest, so I hope I'll make it.

• Shane likes this

#13 Architect Abdiel

Architect Abdiel

Kingdom Builder

• Members

Posted 06 July 2017 - 09:04 PM

So. I'm gonna be at work when the actual contest begins.

You can start making screens in 2 hours.

Sorry I haven't said anything here. I've been addicted to Persona 5 on my time off for the past couple weeks.
  • Anthus, Shane, Eddy and 1 other like this

#14 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 06 July 2017 - 11:02 PM

T-minus two minutes! Here we go. Let's see if this is actually as good as it seems in my head.

• Shane likes this

#15 Architect Abdiel

Architect Abdiel

Kingdom Builder

• Members

Posted 06 July 2017 - 11:22 PM

I hope so. This seemed like a fun theme to work with for me.
  • Anthus likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users