boss sand rod suggestions

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 SparksTheUnicorn

SparksTheUnicorn

Lonk, Hero of Lime

• Members

Posted 28 May 2020 - 05:06 PM

Hey everybody. So here is the deal: in my quest, I have a scripted Item called the Stone Pick. It is based around the Sand Rod script from the stdWeapons.zh example quest, but its a bit more complex. Rather than simply being used to raise a line of blocks from sand, the weapon has two attacks. Simply pressing the button does a quick swipe, which deals no damage but can stun most enemies. Hitting certain types of solid combos with this attack turns them into a corresponding walkable combo. If you hold down the button, you can charge up to release a short ranged magic beam instead, which will turn any non-solid combos of a specific type into their corresponding solid blocks. Overall, there are three pairs of stone blocks that the weapon can create, and each pair is marked by a different color: an immobile block that can be grabbed by the hookshot (red), a push block that can be moved in any direction (green), and an immobile block that does nothing else (blue).

So, the issue is that I am having a bit of trouble coming up with an interesting boss fight to base around the item, and wanted to know if any of you guys had some ideas.

• SkyLizardGirl likes this

#2 Mani Kanina

Mani Kanina

Rabbits!

• Members

Posted 28 May 2020 - 09:12 PM

Go for some kind of sand golem creature that can sink down and raise up out of the ground, including splitting up it's head and arms/hands. An idea could be that the head moves away from you and/or hides until you make the hands solid, and maybe for later in the fight the head could shoot some sort of projectile spread in which you'll want to make one of it's hands solid to hide behind, etc, or a variation where certain parts of the arena is normal sand that you can use to raise as defensive wall. Said boss could also raise blockades that you need to remove on your way to damage the head, etc.

Your item has a lot of functionality, so it's pretty ripe as a main tool to fight a boss with. The only thing I don't recommend is having the item itself deal damage to the boss, but rather as a means to combat it.

• SkyLizardGirl and SparksTheUnicorn like this

#3 SparksTheUnicorn

SparksTheUnicorn

Lonk, Hero of Lime

• Members

Posted 28 May 2020 - 10:50 PM

Go for some kind of sand golem creature that can sink down and raise up out of the ground, including splitting up it's head and arms/hands. An idea could be that the head moves away from you and/or hides until you make the hands solid, and maybe for later in the fight the head could shoot some sort of projectile spread in which you'll want to make one of it's hands solid to hide behind, etc, or a variation where certain parts of the arena is normal sand that you can use to raise as defensive wall. Said boss could also raise blockades that you need to remove on your way to damage the head, etc.

Your item has a lot of functionality, so it's pretty ripe as a main tool to fight a boss with. The only thing I don't recommend is having the item itself deal damage to the boss, but rather as a means to combat it.

I really like this idea actually, so thank you. I especially like the idea of having to make his hands or body solid to hit them, its almost like a sand based Bongo Bongo. Script wise, I think the best way to do this would be, if he had two hands, make four hands, two solid and two sand, which transform into the other when hit and after certain attacks. Then have them pass along their remaining hit points. I am relatively new to scripting so there might be a better way to do it, idk, but I am up for a challange :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: boss, sand rod, suggestions

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users