Photo

Screenshot of the Week 124

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
27 replies to this topic

Poll: Screenshot of the Week 124 (41 member(s) have cast votes)

Screenshot of the Week 124

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#16 Sharon Daniel

Sharon Daniel

• Banned

Posted 29 May 2006 - 11:20 AM

QUOTE(XdragonSB @ May 29 2006, 11:28 AM)
DID YOU STEAL THE DOORS FROM EXATE? THEY LOOK EXACTLY ALIKE!

View Post

Maybe you should look at his again. They're not the same.
I ripped the doors from Metroid Zero Mission, resized them, and reshaded them.

#17 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 29 May 2006 - 07:15 PM

Mighty Darknut:

With this shot, I have the same issue that I do with any other Metroid shot based on Exate's standard: too many of the tiles use side-view perspective but are used as though they were overhead.

However, that is not going to change anytime soon, so I have to consider other things too. As for layout (despite the entire lack of perspective) and tile quality, they are both pretty good in this shot. I would not mind giving this quest a try, going by the screenshot. icon_smile.gif Yummy Metroid shooting goodness.

Questions:

Not bad; your use of tiles is pretty much flawless (although personally, I'd have black borders against the railings as well as the rest of the places the lava touches anything, but that's a judgement call as the DoR tileset can do either). My main complaint is that there's nothing really new at all in this shot. Properly-used LTTP tiles are not quite so exciting anymore.

I see you put in a new "gold" ring palette. Personally, I don't like seeing actual gold on the gold ring, but I guess it's up to you.

XdragonSB:

Most Metroid shots are at least "good," but I think the palette and the rain are destroying this shot. You need to either recolor the rain or change to a darker palette, or preferably both. Also, the "waterfall" combos are placed improperly (no splash effect at the bottom and one starts in front of a wall, the other behind), and lots of stuff in general looks weird. First and foremost, change the palette.

ZC-Ninja:

This shot is quite appealing colorwise. From a distance, it looks great. However, the details come out differently. The main problem is your use of tiles. It looks like you ripped some DoR and MC tiles into this, but not all of them work well in the palettes into which they are colored. Others are used quite strangely (or arguably incorrectly).

First of all, the top of the MC grass is black. I'd change that somehow; perhaps red-wand it to dark green. The MC bush is also practically invisible in its current MC "cel shading." Secondly, those sword signs you used from DoR are supposed to be wooden signs; the outside border has been left unaltered, so they look funny in grey. Thirdly, that rock top you show on the top of the Sun Tower/DoR pillars is an unchiseled natural rock slab. Why would anyone hoist something THAT big on top of a bunch of pillars? You need some stone temple tiles. Not necessarily mine, but some.

Oh, and it's a personal peeve, but I think Pure trees have a different perspective from MC trees, and shouldn't be used together.

There are other custom tiles, yes, and they are decent. They aren't the highlight of the shot, though, and they don't look like you had meant them to be. Not sure what that entryway is comprised of, however...

I am going to do something potentially unexpected and vote for a shot that has absolutely none of my custom tiles in it: Mighty Darknut. icon_smile.gif

#18 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 29 May 2006 - 08:09 PM

Null'd, but I would rather have voted for Mighty Darknut.

The only thing I don't like are the large shoulder pads on Samus. You said it was a Dark suit variation?

Xdragon. I have no real complaints here, as I can see you are getting better. I don't like the blue raindrops, but maybe they look better in animation since that is how my swamp area is...

Questions, your shot is nice, but I have learned that just about any Pure/DoR shot won't in. Not that it isn't a nice shot, it's just nothing too new...

ZC-Ninja's is cool, and I like the temple thingy. But, you see the little rectangles on the pillars to either side of the door? If those are around the pillars, perhaps you could add a but of a curve to show them rapping around?

#19 Freedom

Freedom

Warrior

• Members

Posted 29 May 2006 - 08:44 PM

XdragonSB,
You should make that rain transparent.

voted ninja.

Edited by Freedom, 29 May 2006 - 08:46 PM.

#20 Revfan9

Revfan9

Hero of Time

• Banned

Posted 29 May 2006 - 08:56 PM

Yep, you heard it here first folks, Metroid is becoming the new wave of Zelda Classic quests.

#21 Lemon

Lemon

Legend

• Members

Posted 29 May 2006 - 09:03 PM

QUOTE(Radien @ May 29 2006, 06:15 PM)
ZC-Ninja:

This shot is quite appealing colorwise. From a distance, it looks great. However, the details come out differently. The main problem is your use of tiles. It looks like you ripped some DoR and MC tiles into this, but not all of them work well in the palettes into which they are colored. Others are used quite strangely (or arguably incorrectly).

First of all, the top of the MC grass is black. I'd change that somehow; perhaps red-wand it to dark green. The MC bush is also practically invisible in its current MC "cel shading." Secondly, those sword signs you used from DoR are supposed to be wooden signs; the outside border has been left unaltered, so they look funny in grey. Thirdly, that rock top you show on the top of the Sun Tower/DoR pillars is an unchiseled natural rock slab. Why would anyone hoist something THAT big on top of a bunch of pillars?  You need some stone temple tiles. Not necessarily mine, but some.

Oh, and it's a personal peeve, but I think Pure trees have a different perspective from MC trees, and shouldn't be used together.

There are other custom tiles, yes, and they are decent. They aren't the highlight of the shot, though, and they don't look like you had meant them to be. Not sure what that entryway is comprised of, however...

View Post

I wish more replys to SoTW were like this.

It may sound strange, but trust me when I say that a black bordero n hte top of the bushes makes them look bad (or worse as I should say)... Im only temporarly using thoes ones anyway til I come across better ones or just decide to make some myself. The sword signs actually have been edited to look a bit more like steel signs (The outside has been edited I can assure you I guess I should add a screw or somehting to make it look more steely though.

Its a fighting arena man! Inside there will be the guys whom run it, which are all massivly strong. They kinda have to be, because like everything else in the fleet markert the arena is portable, and when the seasons turn to winter they dissassemble the thing and carry it off to the southern lands. Honestly I couldent a temple smack down in the middle of a fleet market. The tents and such I already entered as a highlight, and I dont see a point in entering the same highlight twice. Yeah the perspective dosent exactly match up, but I stll enjoy the trees together. The entrance is is just a bunch of chains.

#22 Sharon Daniel

Sharon Daniel

• Banned

Posted 29 May 2006 - 09:03 PM

QUOTE(Rex Zemenheart @ May 29 2006, 09:09 PM)
The only thing I don't like are the large shoulder pads on Samus. You said it was a Dark suit variation?

View Post

Not quite. The tiles are an edit of Darkspawn's "Dark Samus" tiles.

#23 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 29 May 2006 - 09:08 PM

QUOTE(Rex Zemenheart @ May 29 2006, 06:09 PM)
Null'd, but I would rather have voted for Mighty Darknut.

Why did you null?

Yes, Metroid Prime's Samus really does have shoulder armor that big. Theories have been thrown around about lunar colonies taking up station in her shoulders. icon_wink.gif

Xdragon. I have no real complaints here, as I can see you are getting better. I don't like the blue raindrops, but maybe they look better in animation since that is how my swamp area is...

In my experience, those raindrops look bad in any light palette, particularly if they are darker than most of the screen. That is their downside in comparison to other rain tiles. I used them in Deluge Temple/Forest, and I've considered changing them, but since Deluge is so dark all around, it looks good for the time being.

Questions, your shot is nice, but I have learned that just about any Pure/DoR shot won't in. Not that it isn't a nice shot, it's just nothing too new...

The LTTP dungeon wall sets were included in DoR just out of gratuity. There are plenty of non-Pure wall sets to choose from, too. Has anyone even entered a DoR tileset shot that uses one of its new custom dungeon sets? If not, then it might as well be Pure. PTUX even included my lava, so Questions could make virtually the same screen in Pure (though I'm not sure whether PTUX has diagonal dungeon tiles, or not).

QUOTE(Revfan9 @ May 29 2006, 06:56 PM)
Yep, you heard it here first folks, Metroid is becoming the new wave of Zelda Classic quests.

View Post

It's mostly just because of the release of Exate's understandably popular tileset. Some must have been saying "it's about time". (shrug)

#24 Deathbringer

Deathbringer

Master

• Members

Posted 29 May 2006 - 09:16 PM

QUOTE(Radien @ May 29 2006, 09:08 PM)

It's mostly just because of the release of Exate's understandably popular tileset. Some must have been saying "it's about time!" icon_shrug.gif

View Post

Since when did Exate realese his tileset? He said that he would never give it out, Mighty's work is custom, with tons of ripping and resizing. Xdragon's work, (and mine.) is from the year old Metroid Prime tileset heavily modified.

#25 link3505

link3505

Ancient

• Members

Posted 29 May 2006 - 10:44 PM

in responce to Rex's latest post, if anyone wants to change their vote, tell me before the voting ends (when I declare the winner), and I'll change it for you

#26 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 30 May 2006 - 02:34 PM

QUOTE(Kingboo30 @ May 29 2006, 07:16 PM)
Since when did Exate realese his tileset? He said that he would never give it out, Mighty's work is custom, with tons of ripping and resizing. Xdragon's work, (and mine.) is from the year old Metroid Prime tileset heavily modified.

View Post

*checks* Whoops! Looks like I got quite mixed-up. I was thinking of Peteo's Megaman tileset release. D'oh!! Sorry for the snafu. Good job on the custom ripwork and new Samus player icons, you people. icon_thumbsup.gif

#27 Draco04

Draco04

Experienced Forumer

• Members

Posted 04 June 2006 - 01:58 AM

Nice lava effect in the Blast Fire Temple scene from Questions icon_biggrin.gif

#28 link3505

link3505

Ancient

• Members

Posted 04 June 2006 - 03:27 AM

ZC-Ninja wins this week. 125 will start when I wake up, after I fall asleep. sugar high right now

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users