• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 05 October 2016 - 06:57 PM

Guess That Game!!!

Here's a new game where I challenge forum members to guess games based on various obscure images, themes, or gameplay videos. A single member will post something that allows other people to guess what game it is from, and when somebody guesses correctly, they can choose the next game and provide a screenshot or whatever, or they can just pass it off to the next person who wants to participate. 

Time to put your investigative skills to the test.

The Rules (so far):

- A host selects a game for people to guess by posting music, an image or gameplay from a game (One game host at a time).

- Clues must be given over an undetermined amount of time until somebody actually gets an answer. The quality & frequency of clues and the amount of clues given must be reasonable.

- People can call or request for clues or a pass once people are stumped for too long. If the pass is generally agreed upon, a new person can volunteer to be host, thus providing a screenshot or whatever so that other people can guess.

- You can technically request a clue at any time, but you should give people reasonable time to guess first, and it's also expected for the host to also give people a reasonable amount of time as well. Don't try to push the game quicker than it needs to go. 

- If a clue is not given by a member who clearly has abandoned the game, somebody else can call for a pass without the host being aware of it. Technically, if the host abandons it, it's their own fault the game proceeded without them. 

- Don't try to force the game to progress or continue faster than it should. Don't push a host to pass when he's not ready. If he still has clues to give, let him give more clues. However, a host should not as well try to force people to participate if they've clearly given up. Therefore, let the game naturally move on when it's ready to.

- Don't be overly cryptic with your clues and try to make the game fun and fair as possible. It's about fun, not about psychologically manipulating people on some crazy wild goose chase or mind game scheme that you know will lead nobody anywhere. 

- A winner can certainly pass the responsibility of host to somebody else if he/she can't think of anything or have been host too many times.

I'll start the game here:

Guess which game this amazing theme is from! (link expired)

Edited by NewJourneysFire, 06 October 2016 - 11:48 PM.

#2 MarinaraSauce

MarinaraSauce

Magus

• Members

Posted 05 October 2016 - 08:33 PM

Sounds like it might be from an old SNES Final Fantasy. I'm going to guess Five since that's the one I didn't play. Idk this game is hard.

#3 Magi_Hero

Magi_Hero

gubgub

• Members

Posted 06 October 2016 - 06:52 AM

Smells like Falcom made it but I can't put my finger on it.

#4 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 06 October 2016 - 12:04 PM

Both answers are incorrect.

Because I haven't posted rules for this game yet because it's still a relatively new forum game, I'll base rules with how the early portions of this game progresses. Rules will be developed to make this game run smoother and more enjoyable for everybody. Updated rules will be posted to the original post of this topic.  

Either way, after some undefined time, hints are okay. It is also okay to request more clues or to request a pass at any time. I do recommend that a pass should be unanimously agreed upon. It wouldn't be nice trying to push a pass when people still want to guess. It also wouldn't be fair to the host if they still want to give clues. With that said, here's the first clue.

1st Clue: It was from an obscure but highly rated Nintendo 64 game.

Edited by NewJourneysFire, 06 October 2016 - 09:27 PM.

#5 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 06 October 2016 - 09:35 PM

2nd Clue: This particular theme is of a "Jungle" stage in the particular game I am referring to. Thus the game has a jungle in it. 

#6 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 06 October 2016 - 10:46 PM

https://www.youtube....h?v=tqIbq9HWH1I

I definitely didn't take way too long finding this even when NJF narrowed the options down to just a handful of games. :P

Anyways, for my challenge, I'm including two versions of the song. One comes from the game's official soundtrack and sounds all around much better.

Original

Soundtrack Version

Edit: Since NJF made the assumption on Skype and I corrected it, I'll also say it here: This isn't from some obscure Japanese game nobody's ever heard of. I'm not going to that kind of trollish lengths...yet.

Edited by Moosh, 06 October 2016 - 11:06 PM.

• Magi_Hero and TheLegend_njf like this

#7 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 06 October 2016 - 10:56 PM

Good job Moosh, and just for those who've been curious, here's a gameplay video with the actual song. The gameplay video seems to distort the song a little, but this is just for entertainment now that Moosh figured it out:

As for Moosh's choice songs, I'll certainly have to wait for a hint or two before I can start narrowing it down. Amazing theme though, I can imagine seeing this in an upcoming Moosh quest for sure.

Edited by NewJourneysFire, 06 October 2016 - 11:00 PM.

#8 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 07 October 2016 - 07:19 AM

1st clue: The game, or series of games rather, that this song came from were released for DOS, Windows, and Macintosh (also apparently the 3DO, but who had one of those?). This particular song was featured in the second and third games in the series.

#9 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 08 October 2016 - 07:10 AM

I'm gonna go ahead and request another clue, if not for me but for others who also seem to be having difficulty figuring this one out as well. :P

#10 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 08 October 2016 - 06:36 PM

2nd clue: The series of games in question are physics based puzzle games. Also one of the worst games on Steam most likely took heavy inspiration from this series.

#11 Saffith

Saffith

IPv7 user

• ZC Developers

Posted 10 October 2016 - 12:39 AM

Well, that does narrow it down. That is "Dreams" from the The Incredible Machine series. Seems to be the TIM2 version.

... Okay, not coming up with much. How about this?

asdf.png
  • Moosh likes this

#12 Saffith

Saffith

IPv7 user

• ZC Developers

Posted 11 October 2016 - 08:25 AM

Clue the first: This is a Famicom game. This is the Japanese version; the characters were changed in the US version.

#13 MarinaraSauce

MarinaraSauce

Magus

• Members

Posted 11 October 2016 - 12:23 PM

Reverse image search tells me that this is from a game called "Totally Rad" in the US.

Here's my contribution assuming I'm correct: https://www.dropbox..../guess.wav?dl=0

#14 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 11 October 2016 - 09:36 PM

Reverse image search tells me that this is from a game called "Totally Rad" in the US.

Here's my contribution assuming I'm correct: https://www.dropbox..../guess.wav?dl=0

After looking up Totally Rad in wikipedia, the game points to Magic John in the Japanese version, which lead back to the image that Saffith posted. So your contribution seems to be correct to me. 

As for the wav you shared. I have a few hints of what this music could be judging by the style of it, but I'll need more clues to narrow it down a bit. 

Edited by NewJourneysFire, 11 October 2016 - 09:39 PM.

#15 MarinaraSauce

MarinaraSauce

Magus

• Members

Posted 11 October 2016 - 10:41 PM

First hint: This game has at least one mention in at least one Smash Bros game.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users