Gristle in your food.

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 17 October 2019 - 03:13 PM

So last night, we went out to eat at a friend's house.  They put together an aluminum tray of chick peas, rice, some kinda sauce, and chicken legs.  The chicken legs had the bones and tendons in them and everything.

Now, lemme ask you - Do you feel alright with having obvious gristle and bones just sitting in your food like that?  Don't you pick the meat off the bones before you eat it?  It's like the chick peas and rice were just  a garnish for the chicken. 

When I get some chicken still on the bone, the first thing I do is separate all of the meat from it.  I won't put my mouth anywhere near that thing because I might take into my mouth something with the consistency of a rubber band or year-old milk that serves as a different texture than the actual chicken meat that we're supposed to be eating.

So, how much can you tolerate gristle or bones in your food?  Does the thought of it make you vomit even just thinking about it?  Or do you not even acknowledge the existence of any odd textures in your mouth while eating off a bone?  Are you one of those folks that can find a bone in your mouth and just spit it out and keep going, or is the entire meal ruined now because you can't stop thinking about it while trying not to throw up?

• Papa, Matthew and Dark Ice Dragon like this

#2 Dark Ice Dragon

Dark Ice Dragon

Wizard

• Members

Posted 17 October 2019 - 03:25 PM

no problems for bones, but strangely I don't like to eat animals with shells, like crustaceans, I like the taste but I hate the way you have to eat it

#3 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 17 October 2019 - 03:57 PM

Now that's interesting!  I have the opposite problem.  To me, if the shell is purely on the outside, then I feel as if I have a very precise and obvious hunt for the gristle.  Once it's visually gone, any fears of gristle are also gone with it. 

If the bones are on the inside, it's a constant excavation for danger.  A bone may lurk beneath (or inside!) any classically good and valid piece of meat.  Unless you're a master of anatomy, any good piece might be next to a camouflaged bone.  There have been so many times when a bone was hidden inside of a piece of meat I thought was good.

I don't eat shrimp or crab much though, so I guess I probably shouldn't be speaking too much about it.

• Dark Ice Dragon likes this

#4 Dark Ice Dragon

Dark Ice Dragon

Wizard

• Members

Posted 17 October 2019 - 04:08 PM

Now that's interesting!  I have the opposite problem.  To me, if the shell is purely on the outside, then I feel as if I have a very precise and obvious hunt for the gristle.  Once it's visually gone, any fears of gristle are also gone with it. 

If the bones are on the inside, it's a constant excavation for danger.  A bone may lurk beneath (or inside!) any classically good and valid piece of meat.  Unless you're a master of anatomy, any good piece might be next to a camouflaged bone.  There have been so many times when a bone was hidden inside of a piece of meat I thought was good.

I don't eat shrimp or crab much though, so I guess I probably shouldn't be speaking too much about it.

For me, however, animals like crustaceans that are served whole have a greater psychological impact ( on me ) , because if they bring me a chicken, I don't think to a live  chicken while I eat it.
animals like the big prawns or crab  instead.. I have to break the shell and that's the problem, I seem to kill them and tear them apart at the moment

• ShadowTiger likes this

#5 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 17 October 2019 - 04:18 PM

Hmmm... You aren't supposed to be eating, either, you know. :P

• ShadowTiger likes this

#6 klop422

klop422

Guess I'm full of monsters and treasure

• Members

Posted 17 October 2019 - 04:20 PM

For chicken, breast is a bit weird when it's got the bones. The ribcage is kind of hard to eat around.

As for the rest of the chicken. The bones are just stuff between. No more disgusting than a fork or something. Fairly easy to eat off the bone, and the cartilage is pretty nice too.

With fish, it's just a nuisance, but it hardly tastes of anything.

In short, eh. To me it's just a thing that might get in the way.

#7 Geoffrey

Geoffrey

Chosen One

• Members

Posted 20 October 2019 - 10:19 PM

My feelings are more aligned with klop's. A large bone is basically a primitive fork that may be held to bring the meat within easy eating distance. Small bones, like those in fish, might be considered annoying, but they are nevertheless a part of the fish; and if you want a fish, then you'll do well to align your desires with reality and take the fish for what it is, an animal filled with small bones that must be picked out before you eat it.

That said, I abhor cartilage and gristle. On the rare occasions when I've failed to pick them out before putting the meat in my mouth, I've found myself trying clandestinely to spit them into a napkin or excusing myself to the bathroom where I may express my disgust more voluptuously. I've tried to think of a more usual word than voluptuously, but I can't; no other word seems to convey the effusive delight I take in this private, secret-agent disposal of gristle.

Perhaps I should take my own advice and align my desires with the reality of cartilage and gristle, but I can't; they're horrible. A pox upon him that serves burgers with gristle and a pox upon his family!

• ShadowTiger and Anthus like this

#8 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 21 October 2019 - 12:33 AM

I have no qualms with eating chicken off the bone directly. Wings, legs, I'll scrape it clean like an animal, and I'll attempt to preserve enough skin so there is enough to have with each bite. I did recently get this blackened chicken leg dish at a restaurant, and I did use a knife to remove the meat, mainly cause it was all connected (drumstick, thigh, breast, it was like half a chicken), and too big to just pick up a eat like Simon Belmont.

I don't like gristle in beef, or burgers though, especially in burgers, That I do have a problem with. I don't like having things unexpectedly change the texture. I no longer get steak at Chipotle cause far too many times, I'll get gristly pieces, and it makes me not want to eat it at all. Same goes for pork, but generally pork gristle is softer than beef gristle.

Fish, I'm a little on the fence about. Some bones, like perch bones are edible, but others like salmon and waleye are not, and can cause injury if eaten. The edible bones are a good source of calcium though. :P

I think the biggest thing for me is, I can usually gauge where the bone might be with chicken, even without an anatomy book. It's predictable. I can bite into it slowly, and move around the bone accordingly. Also, DO NOT let dogs have cooked chicken bones. It can mess them up royally.

Dammit now I'm all hungry.

• Dark Ice Dragon likes this

#9 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 26 October 2019 - 02:44 AM

Never had a problem eating around bones. Gristle in steak is a problem though.

But I'm veg now, so the problem of gristle is a thing if the past for me.

#10 coolgamer012345

coolgamer012345

🔸

• Members

Posted 26 October 2019 - 05:58 PM

Never had a problem eating around bones. Gristle in steak is a problem though.

But I'm veg now, so the problem of gristle is a thing if the past for me.

isn't the hard part of broccoli basically veggie gristle

#11 klop422

klop422

Guess I'm full of monsters and treasure

• Members

Posted 26 October 2019 - 06:18 PM

I mean, if we're counting fruits too, all the seeds and the skin and the weird white bits of an orange that I forget the name of.

• coolgamer012345 likes this

#12 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 26 October 2019 - 10:20 PM

Haha, I've never thought of it like that. I'd have to say no though. Gristle is chewy and gross - you have to either swallow it whole or spit it out. Even raw you can at least crunch up the broccoli stem, and when it's cooked it's just as soft as the "leaves".

Seeds and skin are akin to gristle though, I'll agree there.
  • ShadowTiger likes this

#13 Architect Abdiel

Architect Abdiel

Kingdom Builder

• Members

Posted 29 October 2019 - 09:44 AM

I don't eat meat.

I don't eat seeds or skin of fruits.

#14 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 29 October 2019 - 06:59 PM

I don't eat seeds or skin of fruits.

What's your technique for peeling strawberries?

#15 Matthew

Matthew

• Administrators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 29 October 2019 - 10:51 PM

Gristle is awful. Bad experiences with gristle-filled low-quality steak have ruined steak for me, forever. 

• ShadowTiger likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users