I fixed Skyward Sword!!

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 01 November 2014 - 06:55 AM

Okay, so the topic title is kind of absolutely not true: the game is still one of the worst Zelda-games ever, but it's also one of the prettiest, and it does have a pretty cool story, so I've always wanted to play through it. My biggest gripe with the game aside from it's boring level design, is of course the motion controls. I cannot stand them. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, or maybe I have this idea that it should be working better than it does, but I'd rather just use buttons.

Thing is, you can. Use buttons, that is. See, I got the game working with an Xbox One-controller. That's right, I got the game that was impossible to get working with a controller, to work with a controller, and it's entirely playable. It's not perfect, and swinging your sword can still be a bit tricky, but now that it's all tied to the buttons and the analog sticks, I feel that it's much easier to get it into my muscle memory.

It should be noted that you can only use this if you're running Dolphin (a Gamecube/Wii emulator), and you've got a controller (obviously), and the willingness to spend some time mucking around with settings, .ini files and so on. And no, I can't really help you, because I'm too lazy to write you a tutorial, but google will gladly help you. Word of warning though: you will have to find a special version of Dolphin to get this to work, seeing as the official builds no longer have what's called 'Motion Plus Emulation' available. It's just what it sounds like: it makes Dolphin think you've got Motion Plus, but you still need some kind of input for it to work. You could map it to keys on the keyboard, movement of the mouse or whatever, but I went with the Xbox One-controller, as that's what I wanted to play with. Meaning you can play the game with mouse and keyboard if you really wanted to. It might even be easier to map than the controller, but the reason I wanted to do this to begin with was to emulate the feel of playing Skyward Sword on a controller-based console.

I recorded some gameplay so you can see that it does indeed work. You can't see me using the controller here, but if you look at the movements and so on you can probably see that it looks a tiny bit different than it would on the Wii.

http://youtu.be/IoHr8_Io_F4

There are of course some limiatations, and though I'm sure you could iron most problems out with some clever keymapping, I've come to the point where the game is totally playable now, and I feel like any further tinkering is just going to mess something up. Right now, the only thing I can't do correctly is balancing on ropes. It's possible to get over them, but it takes a little bit longer than it would if you had an actual Wiimote, but other than that it works fine.

It's obviously not as smooth as it would be with the original control input, and seeing as you have to map a wide range of motions to the analog sticks, you're going to have to be clever using buttons to add on to the effects. For example, I have it set up right now so that if I hold R1, my swings will be much faster, and thus I often hold R1 during combat. If I want more precision movement, for things like aiming, charging my sword and so on, I let go of it. And so on.

Also, just in case I didn't make this clear: this is not my 'invention'. I just did some googling and game across a couple of different ways of doing this. My biggest problem was finding a version of the Dolphin emulator that had the motion plus emulation enabled. I found a build made by some guy on some forum, but I sadly lost the link since then. Don't fret, google will help you as it did me. :P

Your computer will of course need to be capable of running this game if you want to try this out. As you can see in the video, I'm also running the game in HD, with a couple of extra visual effects added on top. You can reduce these in order to get it to run smoother on lower end hardware, but I'd still recommend that you've got some juice if you want a playable experience.

And finally; is this something that interests you guys? I do intend on playing through this game this way once I get my graphics card back (I had to RMA it), and I was thinking maybe I'd record some more gameplay for you guys. I'm not really talking about a full 'Let's Play', but let me know if you guys want to see more of this game played with a controller.

• Jared likes this

#2 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 01 November 2014 - 07:02 AM

Ha, nice one. I'm glad you can fully enjoy this game now. Being able to play with buttons and analog sticks only seems really interesting. I personally don't have any problems with the motion controls, but if my computer could handle it, I'd want to try this out for myself xD

#3 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 01 November 2014 - 08:37 AM

The next version of Dolphin should introduce some nice performance improvements while improving accuracy of emulation.
  • Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder likes this

#4 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 01 November 2014 - 10:33 AM

This is pretty awesome. I played a bit of SS on my laptop with my Wii Remote, and it worked pretty good. I'd love to try this with my Wii U Pro Controller as well!

#5 Xenix

Xenix

Well excuse me princess.

• Members

Posted 01 November 2014 - 12:09 PM

This has been around for a while. I even made a video showing it about a year and a half ago. Unfortunately, it is impossible to complete the game this way. The reasoning behind this being the fact that some of the puzzles require movements far too complex to emulate. So you still need a Wii motion plus to complete the game.
That video I was talking about.

I made this video unlisted because the build was no longer available and people thought I was the one who made the download links and kept asking me to fix them when they went down. (The guy who uploaded them took them down)
Anyways, you brought back nostalgia from when I first got into Gamecube/Wii emulation. :3 (Not saying you are new.)

#6 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 01 November 2014 - 12:29 PM

This has been around for a while. I even made a video showing it about a year and a half ago. Unfortunately, it is impossible to complete the game this way. The reasoning behind this being the fact that some of the puzzles require movements far too complex to emulate. So you still need a Wii motion plus to complete the game.
That video I was talking about.

I made this video unlisted because the build was no longer available and people thought I was the one who made the download links and kept asking me to fix them when they went down. (The guy who uploaded them took them down)
Anyways, you brought back nostalgia from when I first got into Gamecube/Wii emulation. :3 (Not saying you are new.)

Your video is set to private, not just unlisted. ;)

Also, no, this isn't 'new', it's just cool. I will say though, that so far I have yet to run across any puzzles that can't be completed, and I have in fact had no real issues with puzzles that other people have said are problematic when you're using this method (such as opening boss doors, or even just grabbing the sword from the pedestal in the beginning). It's all about mapping everything in a way that suits the game. Like, the controls I have set up right now would theoretically allow me to play other Wii-games as well, but I've mapped them specifically for SS, so chances are one would want to make some alterations before doing that.

Which puzzles are you thinking about? It's possible I have yet to reach that point, but like I said, with some clever keymapping I've been able to get around all issues people have had with this game and this control setup. I've seen people claim that opening boss doors is literally impossible, or too complicated, but that is simply not true.

#7 Xenix

Xenix

Well excuse me princess.

• Members

Posted 01 November 2014 - 12:36 PM

OOPS! I forgot to set that one to unlisted. I deactivated my account to fix something one time and it set all my videos to Private and I forgot to set older ones to Unlisted. xD

Anyways, as for the puzzles I am talking about, have you been able to complete the "Eye" puzzle in the first dungeon? It requires you go in a circle with the sword in order to unlock it. There was a whole community of users trying to figure out if there were any controller settings to get past that part.

And yeah, the pedestal was easy. All it requires is the "Thrust" input and such to pull it out successfully. (I used to play with a keyboard and a mousepad. xD)

#8 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 01 November 2014 - 01:09 PM

Well, if Migokalle says he has no issues with the boss doors, chances are he has no issues with the eyeball either, since it's required to solve eyeball puzzles in order to reach the first boss door ;)

• Xenix likes this

#9 Xenix

Xenix

Well excuse me princess.

• Members

Posted 01 November 2014 - 01:44 PM

Well, he could have used a Wii save that was past that point. But I guess you're right. More power to him for getting it to work and I look forward to the playthrough. :)

#10 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 01 November 2014 - 01:50 PM

Well, he could have used a Wii save that was past that point. But I guess you're right. More power to him for getting it to work and I look forward to the playthrough. :)

I haven't used any saves, I've played the game from the start. I don't remember having any real issues with the eye though, but I will make sure to give it a closer look next time I reach a puzzle like that (there are more eyes if I remember correctly). I have done a fair bit of tinkering with the .ini files, so maybe I stumbled across something. I can tell you it was by luck though, because I can not recall having to change anything once I reached that point.

I'll try to remember to update here once I have one of those eyes in front of me, and maybe we can try to figure out what I did to get past it. I'm still waiting for my GPU to come back, so I'm not able to play at the moment.

• Xenix likes this

#11 Mero

Mero

Touch Fluffy Tail

• Banned

Posted 01 November 2014 - 05:26 PM

The Motion Sensor is stuff I hated. I'm button fanatic. Always have been. This makes me happy.

#12 SyrianBallaS

SyrianBallaS

Defender

• Members

Posted 04 November 2014 - 01:29 PM

I played SS on dolphin with a ps3 controller and it worked just fine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users