I guess this is it

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#16 AaronJer

AaronJer

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 31 July 2019 - 08:26 PM

I guess I could at least explain that this is largely for personal reasons that I'd rather not get into too much. The last several years have been tremendously stressful. I'd hoped I could get more done once everything was over, but I just can't. I'm as disappointed as anyone to leave the quest unfinished, but I really need to do pretty much anything else now.

Just come back over 10 years later and finish it. Worked for me.

• Lüt likes this

#17 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 01 August 2019 - 06:44 AM

Did anybody stream these or uploaded videos on YouTube? I'd like to see what's going on but can't use ZC myself right now.

#18 P-Tux7

P-Tux7

💛

• Members

Posted 29 August 2019 - 07:06 PM

Oh I just thought of it when I uploaded those Monty Mole graphics for your Spume script. Will you be releasing the scripts from this quest?

#19 Saffith

Saffith

IPv7 user

• ZC Developers

Posted 30 August 2019 - 02:42 PM

They're all in the zip file, and anyone's welcome to use them. A lot of them are too tailored to the quest or specific screens to be generally useful, but I do intend to clean some of them up and submit them. I think that'll mostly be enemy scripts. I'm sure everyone loves those fire darknuts.

... And I should probably say thanks for the comments so far. Even if this is as far as the quest goes, I'm glad to hear any thoughts on it.
  • Matthew likes this

#20 P-Tux7

P-Tux7

💛

• Members

Posted 23 September 2019 - 12:00 PM

Does this mean you're quitting ZC, or are you going to continue making new quests?

#21 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 24 September 2019 - 10:57 AM

Not that I can safely answer for anyone in particular, but sometimes it's a TON easier to keep one's enthusiasm aroused by completing smaller or simpler tasks than building an entire quest.  Personally, I spend my time constructing loose tiles that might help people.  I do a lot of side-work for folks rather than committing myself to something far grander like building an entire quest.  Maybe someone more mathematically inclined would rather keep the flame alive by being a consultant on script-construction or something.  It's nice to feel useful even without much time on one's hands.  Real life always comes first though, of course.

• Jared likes this

#22 Saffith

Saffith

IPv7 user

• ZC Developers

Posted 26 September 2019 - 12:09 AM

Does this mean you're quitting ZC, or are you going to continue making new quests?

No, I think this is probably it.

#23 P-Tux7

P-Tux7

💛

• Members

Posted 26 September 2019 - 08:00 PM

No, I think this is probably it.

What about ZC made you finished with it forever? This is an especially good time to be starting ZC projects due to the new version, so I thought that would be exciting for scripters like you. I was also kind of hoping you'd either make Eight Objects your last quest to end on a good note or if this got cancelled you'd make a new quest. For example, how Peteo's last quest was the acclaimed Lost Isle

Edited by P-Tux7, 27 September 2019 - 12:17 AM.

#24 Saffith

Saffith

IPv7 user

• ZC Developers

Posted 29 September 2019 - 12:03 AM

Really would rather not talk about it. Just can't do it anymore, basically.

#25 P-Tux7

P-Tux7

💛

• Members

Posted 29 September 2019 - 03:25 AM

Really would rather not talk about it. Just can't do it anymore, basically.

I thought the thing you didn't want to talk about only ruined The Eight Objects. You mean to say something in your life has entirely ruined your former enjoyment of a hobby? I'm baffled at the thought

Edited by P-Tux7, 29 September 2019 - 03:30 AM.

#26 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 29 September 2019 - 06:14 AM

I thought the thing you didn't want to talk about only ruined The Eight Objects. You mean to say something in your life has entirely ruined your former enjoyment of a hobby? I'm baffled at the thought

Dude. With respect, please chill. Burn-out is a real thing. There is only one person in this situation that is entitled and conceptually licensed to deal with this, and between the two of you, I don't think the chances are very high that it's you. The heavy weight of providing mental relief from their burdens has heretoforth been lifted from your shoulders.
  • Nathaniel, Shane, Eddy and 3 others like this

#27 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 30 September 2019 - 04:31 AM

I've been refusing to accept it, but I think I finally have to admit I'm never going to finish this quest. I hate to give up when it's so far along, but I haven't done any significant work on it in years, and it's pretty clear I'm never going to.

Might as well let everyone play what there is of it, though, so here it is: The8Objects.zip

Levels 1-8 are pretty much done, except only levels 1, 2, and 4 have bosses. There's a fair amount of overworld, but you should use the debug menu to go to levels. It'll start you with an appropriate set of equipment. Not everything that's in there is necessarily complete. There are bits that still needed tweaked and fixed, especially for difficulty (and fairness).

The scripts are in there, too. Feel free to use any of them you like, though they vary greatly in quality.

Controls:
A: Open chests, read signs, etc.
Ex1: Open save menu (the option to disable hints doesn't work)
Ex2: Ask fairy for hint (only implemented in a few places)
Ex3: Open debug menu

The default difficulty is hard. You can change it at dungeon entrances. You can also change it at any time through the debug menu, but it won't fully take effect until you go to a new screen. It's still not fully implemented, particularly in levels 7 and 8.

Some general notes:

F6 is disabled. Use the mirror to go back to the entrance of a dungeon. It doesn't work if there are enemies around.
There's one magic container in each level.
There's one boss in the overworld. Walk around the graveyard for a while, and it'll show up eventually.
The white boomerang explodes into damaging sparkles if you press B again while it's in the air. This costs MP.
The bow is a very effective weapon in general, especially in later levels with the upgraded arrows. Just be careful about shooting anything too close.
The luck potion (the purple one) has various effects:
- Enemies drop better items
- Chests have more money
- Damage is randomly prevented
- If you die, you'll recover health based on how much time is left
It doesn't have proper graphics and sound, though.

Level 3

Spoiler

Level 4
Spoiler

Level 5
Spoiler

Level 6
Spoiler

Level 7
Spoiler

Level 8
Spoiler

Just for clarification, did you care if anyone tried to fix or finish the incomplete areas so that the quest can be played in totality? I'm not volunteering to do thst, but I suspect that, in the future, someone might. Given the recent hysteria about editing other people's long-abandoned projects, it might be good to declare if that'd ever be a problem.
  • ShadowTiger, Shane, Avaro and 1 other like this

#28 Saffith

Saffith

IPv7 user

• ZC Developers

Posted 30 September 2019 - 12:37 PM

Sure, I'd be fine with that. I'll be happy to provide my notes and what plans I had if anyone wants them.
  • ShadowTiger, Shane, Avaro and 1 other like this

#29 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 30 September 2019 - 01:09 PM

Btw Saffith has left a really great mark on the ZC scene, not only being an active 2.5 dev but also his script headers that has made all the highly acclaimed 2.5 quests possible, and people still use his headers.

Anyway, that's nice of you to let someone else finish your project for you. The ideal outcome, is that a talented honest questmaker comes along and continues the thing with good quality, while respecting the author's idea and try stay true to the quest's style. And I assume they have to be a scripter, lol.

• ShadowTiger, Shane, Jared and 1 other like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users