Photo

Screenshot of the Week 611

Joelmacool Maikeru D. Shinigami ywkls Eggman666

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
18 replies to this topic

Poll: Screenshot of the Week 611 (56 member(s) have cast votes)

Which screen will you vote for?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 14 May 2017 - 10:49 PM

Joelmacool
Joelmacool.png
You leave the dense forest, to enter the barren ruins...

Maikeru D. Shinigami
Maikeru%20D.%20Shinigami.png
Don't let the Deku Scrubs catch you!
(Screen is set up intended to be a stealth section.
Stepping within line of sight of a Scrub at any point during the infiltration will result in immediate termination with the utmost prejudice.)

ywkls
ywkls.png
Having ventured through the mysterious portal, Samus finds herself on a snowy mountainside.

Eggman666
Eggman666.gif
Too lazy to remove that link sprite....

• Joelmacool likes this

#2 Titanium Justice

Titanium Justice

Justice is served!

• Members

Posted 14 May 2017 - 11:22 PM

Eggman666 gets my vote once again. Your screenshots have been consistently good. Keep up the good work.

#3 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 15 May 2017 - 03:21 AM

I voted Joel, it looks the most refreshing and pleasing to eye.

• Joelmacool likes this

#4 Naru

Naru

Magus

• Members

Posted 15 May 2017 - 03:49 AM

I don't like how Joel lined up the trees. If there would be at least a shadow on the tree behind.

The deku-temple looks a bit cold and while it is detailed enough it looks a bit lifeless and unnatural to me.

The more classic-looking tiles and the green parts of samus suit (excluding the visor) look a bit odd, not that I know any Metroid-games to compare with though.

Eggman - the green-brown-only colors start to bother me, a bit more variations would be great.

All shots are great.

#5 Item

Item

Senior

• Banned

Posted 15 May 2017 - 09:12 AM

I voted for Gami because I felt bad for him with no votes.
  • Matthew likes this

#6 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators

Posted 15 May 2017 - 09:38 AM

Joelmacool - Very nice screenshot, probably my favourite this week. Definitely love the use of the tileset and it generally looks nice. The mountains have a very strange perspective though, with mountains 2 tall at the top, and then 1 to the right and 3 to the left. Probably should try to stick to one kind of height.

Maikeru D. Shinigami - Pretty neat shot. I like the overall structure and the concept behind it is pretty cool. I would probably try to avoid stacking trees vertically like that, since they look a bit weird IMO. I'd keep them diagonal like the other trees on the screen.

ywkls - Seems interesting, definitely one of your better Metroid shots I've seen. Samus looks a bit weirdly coloured and I agree with Naru about how it looks kind of Classic Set-styled rather than being a bit more fitting with the tileset. That spaceship thing in the middle seems cool though.

Eggman666 - Another pretty nice shot from you, always great to see these. Overall screen structure looks nice and design is cool, but once again, I would probably like to see a bit more variation with your recent entries rather than forest shots, but that's more of a personal thing I guess.

I voted for Joelmacool this week.

• Joelmacool likes this

#7 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 15 May 2017 - 09:51 AM

Didn't vote, since I'm in this one; so here's my thoughts on the others.

Joelmacool- I like this shot a lot. If I was voting, this is probably where mine would go. It just has a feel to it, almost like LTTP.

Maikeru D. Shinigami- This reminds me a bit of the area in Majora's Mask where you have to do the same. No idea how it'd work in the quest, though.

Eggman666- Once again, with the animated images... I'd do that too, if I knew how. I'm not sure why your comment implies that you need to remove Link's sprite, though. Very atmospheric.

A good job by all, in my opinion.

#8 Joelmacool

Joelmacool

Addicted to Overwatch

• Moderators

Posted 15 May 2017 - 10:05 AM

Joelmacool - Very nice screenshot, probably my favourite this week. Definitely love the use of the tileset and it generally looks nice. The mountains have a very strange perspective though, with mountains 2 tall at the top, and then 1 to the right and 3 to the left. Probably should try to stick to one kind of height.

Seems like something I overlooked, the idea was suppose to be that the mountain was declining as you went further down the screen; I don't think I did this right. Now that you mentioned that it looks weird, I can't help but hate the mountain's structure.

• Eddy likes this

#9 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 16 May 2017 - 08:24 PM

I voted for Joel.
  • Joelmacool likes this

#10 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 16 May 2017 - 09:06 PM

I do agree with the error on the top being 2, and the right being 1. It looks like on the left, the bottom of the 3 layers split off which would be correct at leaving 2 up top.  Not sure if you thought the left side was an error.

• Joelmacool likes this

#11 Architect Abdiel

Architect Abdiel

Kingdom Builder

• Members

Posted 16 May 2017 - 09:29 PM

I don't like how Joel lined up the trees. If there would be at least a shadow on the tree behind.

The deku-temple looks a bit cold and while it is detailed enough it looks a bit lifeless and unnatural to me.

The more classic-looking tiles and the green parts of samus suit (excluding the visor) look a bit odd, not that I know any Metroid-games to compare with though.

Eggman - the green-brown-only colors start to bother me, a bit more variations would be great.

All shots are great.

I don't agree on lifeless. But, I am seeing an unnatural thing with the temple in particular. I feel like the walls are too high for what I was attempting to portray on the screen. It does look cold, but I really like the colors. I felt like I was restricted by screen size.

Didn't vote, since I'm in this one; so here's my thoughts on the others.

Joelmacool- I like this shot a lot. If I was voting, this is probably where mine would go. It just has a feel to it, almost like LTTP.

Maikeru D. Shinigami- This reminds me a bit of the area in Majora's Mask where you have to do the same. No idea how it'd work in the quest, though.

Eggman666- Once again, with the animated images... I'd do that too, if I knew how. I'm not sure why your comment implies that you need to remove Link's sprite, though. Very atmospheric.

A good job by all, in my opinion.

Right now it's a pretty simple case of hidden warp tiles when you step within their line of sight. Line of sight ending at obstruction or lessening when looking across water. I'd like to have a script set up to where I can have hidden warps in front of the NPCs, but I have more complications for what I want them to do than that. I might emulate this with movement patterns and combo cycling on layer 0. It would just require a bit of testing to line it up properly.

Maikeru D. Shinigami - Pretty neat shot. I like the overall structure and the concept behind it is pretty cool. I would probably try to avoid stacking trees vertically like that, since they look a bit weird IMO. I'd keep them diagonal like the other trees on the screen.

ywkls - Seems interesting, definitely one of your better Metroid shots I've seen. Samus looks a bit weirdly coloured and I agree with Naru about how it looks kind of Classic Set-styled rather than being a bit more fitting with the tileset. That spaceship thing in the middle seems cool though.

Eggman666 - Another pretty nice shot from you, always great to see these. Overall screen structure looks nice and design is cool, but once again, I would probably like to see a bit more variation with your recent entries rather than forest shots, but that's more of a personal thing I guess.

I voted for Joelmacool this week.

Yeah, we had this discussion in Discord, but it was more for walkability and structure. But I am gonna change it around. Thanks.

I voted for Gami because I felt bad for him with no votes.

It's fine. I was more interested in the feedback.

• Shane and Eddy like this

#12 Naru

Naru

Magus

• Members

Posted 17 May 2017 - 03:34 AM

"Lifeless" was just a pitiful try to give my thoughts. I still kind of know what I meant, but I agree that the word doesn't really fit here ;) Could you try to colorate the dekus and the rafts fitting to the palette? I think they are too bright compared to the rest. And it would be nice to have the plant-creatures in similar colors like the plants.

PS.: It says 0 users are reading the topic. Is this a forum-bug that I should report? Or a secret massage towards me to accept my non-existence? :P :D

#13 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators

Posted 17 May 2017 - 06:08 AM

I do agree with the error on the top being 2, and the right being 1. It looks like on the left, the bottom of the 3 layers split off which would be correct at leaving 2 up top.  Not sure if you thought the left side was an error.

Now that you mention it, yeah I can definitely see that on the left side of the screen. I never really saw it as an error though, I knew what Joel was going for.

#14 Architect Abdiel

Architect Abdiel

Kingdom Builder

• Members

Posted 17 May 2017 - 06:59 AM

"Lifeless" was just a pitiful try to give my thoughts. I still kind of know what I meant, but I agree that the word doesn't really fit here ;) Could you try to colorate the dekus and the rafts fitting to the palette? I think they are too bright compared to the rest. And it would be nice to have the plant-creatures in similar colors like the plants.

PS.: It says 0 users are reading the topic. Is this a forum-bug that I should report? Or a secret massage towards me to accept my non-existence? :P :D

Alright. I'll see if I can find something more blendy. I'm sure I can with the rafts, but the dekus might be a bit more difficult.

#15 CimFighter

CimFighter

CimFam/Writer

• Members

Posted 17 May 2017 - 09:01 PM

Going Ywkls here. The color game is strong on this one.

• ywkls likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Joelmacool, Maikeru D. Shinigami, ywkls, Eggman666

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users