Photo

Screenshot of the Week 446

NewJourneysFire Russ nicklegends Demonlink Benji Hoff123

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
46 replies to this topic

Poll: Screenshot of the Week 446 (60 member(s) have cast votes)

~

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#16 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 10 March 2014 - 04:38 PM

Gladly. I have nothing against custom tiles; I find them to be really pleasing to look at, actually. The thing that bothers me is that a lot of times, a screenshot with custom tiles will win by a majority over a screen that's much better designed purely because it has pretty custom graphics. While I love custom graphics, I feel screen design ought to come first, but I'm definitely in the minority. So when I see screens that are really well designed and look "new" or "fresh" so to speak, made with an existing tileset, I tend to throw my vote there.
  • The Satellite, Hoff123 and Arekuzii831 like this

#17 Air Luigi

Air Luigi

Tio guachi

• Members

Posted 10 March 2014 - 05:04 PM

This contest is named Screenshot of the Week... So, the screenshot should be special, unique or shocking. It's expected that a screen with custom tiles has an edge.... it's something new. Designing new custom tiles is also a hard work... And those screens take a lot more time (creating tiles) than a screen with a well know tileset.

Not only that, new graphics = new ambientations or situations. Lightwulf screen from past week is a great example.

• Shane likes this

#18 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 10 March 2014 - 05:26 PM

While I have also voted for nicklegend's screen (though I really wish he would have used "borders" on these dirt roads) I don't see what kind of criteria "without flashy custom tiles" meets. I really don't understand those of you PZCers that dislike any custom content. That regressive attitude is just not making a lot of sense to me - if it was to be taken serious we would still be using the original classic tiles and nothing else. And yet here you are, making it sound as though creating custom content (most notably in the graphical department) is somehow bad or "cheap". It's not just on this one occasion, I've seen people getting that a lot here before (I've actually been on the receiving side more than once as well). Explain yourself, please.

To me it's not so much that custom tiles are a bad thing, just that we need to understand that they give people like you who have a lot of talent with spriteart an advantage in SotW and that it's a sign of a good screen when someone wins out despite this. In much the same way, my scripts give me a huge advantage when it comes to quest ratings. It's hardly what I'd call a level playing field, but life isn't always fair.

I gotta feel bad for all the music people out there, though. Us scripters and artists both have our areas where we can completely obliterate the competition, but midi makers...not so much. We should have a song of the month contest. :D
  • Hoff123 likes this

#19 Hoff123

Hoff123

The Hoff :)

• Members

Posted 10 March 2014 - 05:31 PM

I gotta feel bad for all the music people out there, though. Us scripters and artists both have our areas where we can completely obliterate the competition, but midi makers...not so much. We should have a song of the month contest. :D

I'd participate in that :).

#20 nicklegends

nicklegends

Trofessional Pransposer

• Contributors
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 10 March 2014 - 06:35 PM

If only. I don't think there are enough of us to support a monthly contest, but a one-time or occasional event could be fun. :)

#21 Tree

Tree

Everything must go away

• Members

Posted 10 March 2014 - 06:38 PM

I voted for NJF. Anyone who can add depth to the Classic set deserves a vote from a Tree.

#22 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 10 March 2014 - 07:37 PM

Gladly. I have nothing against custom tiles; I find them to be really pleasing to look at, actually. The thing that bothers me is that a lot of times, a screenshot with custom tiles will win by a majority over a screen that's much better designed purely because it has pretty custom graphics. While I love custom graphics, I feel screen design ought to come first, but I'm definitely in the minority. So when I see screens that are really well designed and look "new" or "fresh" so to speak, made with an existing tileset, I tend to throw my vote there.

Says the guy with an image of Link riding on a leaf between two rocks. :P
  • Demonlink likes this

#23 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members

Posted 10 March 2014 - 08:52 PM

... which uses an existing tileset with no major modifications. Your point is? :blah:

#24 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 10 March 2014 - 08:58 PM

but dat custom deku leaf....................

Edited by Charizard, 10 March 2014 - 09:01 PM.

#25 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 10 March 2014 - 09:06 PM

Eh, one little sprite isn't gonna win a contest. ... and if it does, people have strange priorities. :confused:

#26 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 10 March 2014 - 09:07 PM

... That post was a joke, nothing to take seriously lol.  :P

Edited by Charizard, 10 March 2014 - 09:11 PM.

#27 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 10 March 2014 - 09:11 PM

... which uses an existing tileset with no major modifications. Your point is? :blah:

His frustration seemed to be that of his thoughts of people being ignorant to screen design when put in situations where something custom (or even just plain flashy) is added. His argument was that nicklegends has the superior screen design and it is frustrating to him that the majority doesn't quite see that.

It just leads me to wonder.

Was my screen design that poor that such a debate had to begin? Also, since when has Screenshot of the week become screen design of the week?

I ain't bashing his image, but just slightly making a teasing comment in response.

Edited by NewJourneysFire, 10 March 2014 - 09:13 PM.

#28 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 10 March 2014 - 09:13 PM

Screen design is an important aspect of a good screen. It's being made in a Zelda fan game editor, so I expect it to be playable or at least look like it. Otherwise, if that isn't the case, then I'm going to submit a butt-load of terrible unplayable the Minish Cap-tileset shots for the few upcoming sotw contests.  And then I just ignore all the critisicm by saying "its sotw bro" and other excuses.  :P

Good graphics can't just make a good screen. There's a difference between a good designed shot in a custom tileset and a bad designed shot in a custom tileset. If people can't tell the difference, then well, I don't know what else to say.

I'm all for people making custom graphics, I'm respriting most of EZGBZ. Graphics can set apart your quest from the crowd. But don't let custom graphics stop you from putting in effort.

And by all means, I don't think your screen is poor. I'll admit, I have problems with it, but nothing too big to blame it for starting a debate.

Edited by Charizard, 10 March 2014 - 09:28 PM.

#29 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 10 March 2014 - 09:18 PM

Was my screen design that poor that such a debate had to begin?

Not at all. I don't think this has anything to do with you or your screenshot, which honestly I feel is the best this week. I don't think anyone was saying it doesn't deserve to not win just because it had custom tiles or anything, people just see things differently.

Also, since when has Screenshot of the week become screen design of the week?

It's more of what comes down to a person's opinion on what the best screenshot has: The prettiest look, the best composition regardless of looks, a combination of the two? It's pretty much always been that way.

• TheLegend_njf likes this

#30 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 10 March 2014 - 09:22 PM

Screen design is an important aspect of a good screen. It's being made in a Zelda fan game editor, so I expect it to be playable or at least look like it. Otherwise, if that isn't the case, then I'm going to submit a butt-load of terrible unplayable the Minish Cap-tileset shots for the few upcoming sotw contests.  And then I just ignore all the critisicm by saying "its sotw bro" and other excuses.  :P

Good graphics can't just make a good screen. There's a difference between a good designed shot in a custom tileset and a bad designed shot in a custom tileset. If people can't tell the difference, then well, I don't know what else to say.

I'm all for people making custom graphics, I'm respriting most of EZGBZ. Graphics can set apart your quest from the crowd. But don't let custom graphics stop you from putting in effort.

Man, every time I see this particular post, it keeps getting bigger. Edit much?

Anyways, sorry if you feel I made a sloppy design.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: NewJourneysFire, Russ, nicklegends, Demonlink, Benji, Hoff123

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users