Pokémon Emerald and Fake Cartridges

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 klop422

klop422

Guess I'm full of monsters and treasure

• Members

Posted 24 August 2018 - 09:28 AM

So a while back, I bought a copy of Pokémon Emerald from a Cash converters. Turned out it was fake. Every time I opened up the game it would tell me 'the game can be played' or something like that.

Yesterday, I went to an actual used game shop, and bought another copy. I specifically asked if it's fake, and the guy running the shop told me it was a reproduction cart and should run exactly as the original - it has the battery and everything, they said. The cartridge looks a lot nicer (though comparing to google images, it still looks like it might be fake. I might be comparing it to the real ones in NTSC regions, though - the Nintendo Seal is different in PAL than NTSC), even feels a lot nicer. The front board is not nearly as secure on the fake one. I might upload an image or two later.

The only real issues I've had are that when I save the music freezes for a moment. Also, my copy of Platinum doesn't recognise it for the Pal Park, though that could be because it's on an r4 cartridge,* and also an NTSC rom for what I presume is a PAL game, given the cartridge.

The point is (points are?) these two questions:

- How can I tell? keep in mind this is supposed to be a PAL version of the game, not an NTSC one.

- Does it matter? So far (up to Rustboro) the game's been running fine, but I hear all sorts of stories.

*All I'll say in my defence is that nobody but pawnbrokers and used goods salespeople are making money of Platinum now. I'll probably get a legit copy at some point (I'm still a student whose only income is a weekly food and supplies budget from my parents) When Nintendo comes out with the remake, and I have a Switch, I will be buying it. Also, I need the ROM to play randomiser! :P (might make a separate topic about that)

#2 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:She / Her, They / Them

Posted 25 August 2018 - 12:56 AM

If it doesn't work with the DS games, it's a fake. I once got fakes of all 5 GBA pokemon games; attempting to link to the DS games would wipe the memory of the games.

#3 klop422

klop422

Guess I'm full of monsters and treasure

• Members

Posted 25 August 2018 - 06:53 AM

The issue here is that the DS game doesn't even come up with the option of migrating Pokémon, which I believe is supposed to come up. As I say, the ROM I use is NTSC, I believe (because they tend to have slightly better features due to earlier releases - the game corner actually works in Platinum, for example), and my Emerald is PAL, so that might also be the issue.
If it's a fake, can I still trade my pokemon off it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users