Photo

Screenshot of the Week 420

Theryan Jared demonlink14

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
15 replies to this topic

Poll: Screenshot of the Week 420 (46 member(s) have cast votes)

Which screen gets your vote?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 29 July 2013 - 12:37 AM

demonlink14
demonlink14.png
Sneak peek from Hylian Tale "Reawakened"...

Jared
Jared.png

Theryan
Theryan.png
Zelda Classic v -1.0; aka a notebook. Also 420 blaze it brah.

#2 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 29 July 2013 - 01:00 AM

I voted for Jared.

#3 TK8305

TK8305

I <3 Miyu

• Members

Posted 29 July 2013 - 02:44 AM

I'm voting for theryan based on the unique-ness of that notepad type room!  Yeah not a whole lot going on but the concept behind it is pretty neat.  :3

#4 Hoff123

Hoff123

The Hoff :)

• Members

Posted 29 July 2013 - 05:55 AM

Theryan: what is that? I just had to vote for it :).

#5 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 29 July 2013 - 05:58 AM

Went with Theyran this week. Reminds me a lot of a shot NoeL entered that won SotY.

#6 Rastael

Rastael

Wizard

• Members

Posted 29 July 2013 - 11:34 AM

I voted for Jared.

Without that big red ball, the screen of demonlink would be nice too.

#7 nicklegends

nicklegends

Trofessional Pransposer

• Contributors
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 29 July 2013 - 02:02 PM

I was expecting to see more /r/woahdude material this week. :lol:

In any case, I voted for Theryan for trying something different. demonlink14's shot seems like it'd make a great animation, but alas, we see only one frame here which makes it look busy. Jared's was OK, but I'm not convinced on the use of lava tiles as ice. The bridge perspective also messes with the walls, but what can ya do.

#8 Linkus

Linkus

• Members

Posted 29 July 2013 - 02:24 PM

Theryan, the initial concept is neat - I just have to offer my advice for it. :)

You should use different papers for different areas. Graph paper, yellow pad paper, notepad paper, maybe even post-its for one-screen interiors.You could expand on it so that multiple screens are one piece of paper, so it looks like the whole region is made from a bunch of papers taped together. Additonal pieces, like tape, worn areas, maybe a spill can enhance the look. Maybe even adding a little detail so you can see the paper grain.

There's just a lot of opportunity here. Colored pens, markers, pencil.. A lot more variety than just your standard wide-ruled notebook paper and black ink.

• Hergiswi, Theryan, Sheik and 3 others like this

#9 Theryan

Theryan

Burrito

• Members

Posted 29 July 2013 - 02:37 PM

Theryan, the initial concept is neat - I just have to offer my advice for it. :)

You should use different papers for different areas. Graph paper, yellow pad paper, notepad paper, maybe even post-its for one-screen interiors.You could expand on it so that multiple screens are one piece of paper, so it looks like the whole region is made from a bunch of papers taped together. Additonal pieces, like tape, worn areas, maybe a spill can enhance the look. Maybe even adding a little detail so you can see the paper grain.

There's just a lot of opportunity here. Colored pens, markers, pencil.. A lot more variety than just your standard wide-ruled notebook paper and black ink.

This set of tiles was originally intended for RPG Maker. In that game, I was planning on making several areas using different types of paper, including a textbook area that used an actual scan of a chemistry or physics textbook(can't remember which) and a sticky note tower. I imported the tiles into ZC and used them in my 2 week entry for level 1, so I didn't really expand much on this style since it was only one area in the game. I might try to revive the RPG Maker project one day, who knows?

#10 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 29 July 2013 - 02:44 PM

I would love to see something like that. It would most certainly spark the players imaginiation. Actually, just from reading you ideas I started imagining myself scribbling Zelda worlds with pencil on paper.

#11 Theryan

Theryan

Burrito

• Members

Posted 29 July 2013 - 02:49 PM

I would love to see something like that. It would most certainly spark the players imaginiation. Actually, just from reading you ideas I started imagining myself scribbling Zelda worlds with pencil on paper.

That's the vibe I was going for. Before I discovered various game making software I used to always draw "games" and RPGs out in notebooks. I haven't done that in years because I just don't have any need to do so anymore, so I thought it would be cool to give people a blast from the past and remind them their early game design days before they found the software to make it happen. In my caption when I said "Zelda Classic v -1.0" I was referring to the fact that this is how I would make games before ZC, RPG Maker, or any other game design software. I do kinda miss those days, but now that I can make things that are actually playable, I can't really go back to that.

#12 Tree

Tree

Everything must go away

• Members

Posted 30 July 2013 - 06:50 AM

Voted for Jared. 

#13 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 30 July 2013 - 08:14 AM

Went with Theyran this week. Reminds me a lot of a shot NoeL entered that won SotY.

But it's not even squiggly!!!

• Theryan likes this

#14 Hergiswi

Hergiswi

don't look for me, i'm just a story you've been told

• Members

Posted 30 July 2013 - 02:42 PM

demonlink14: This is a nice shot; it reminds me of ALttP. The giant red circle is terrifying.

Jared: It's nice to see a dungeon shot from you. I'm really digging the layout of this room, though it took me a second to figure out what was going on with this square/checkered floor tiles.

Theryan: This...came out of left field. It's awesome. I love the simplicity and the archaic nature of it. I have no choice but to vote for it.

• Jared likes this

#15 Binx

Binx

Formerly Lineas

• Members

Posted 30 July 2013 - 10:10 PM

Y'know, done right, Theryan's shot could be used as the basis for a freaking awesome like weird, meta- type game where you're doodling the adventures of link  while bored in class.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Theryan, Jared, demonlink14

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users