Photo

Map of the Month 134

Twilight Knight

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

Poll: Map of the Month 134 (36 member(s) have cast votes)

Vote for your favourite!

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 01 June 2021 - 08:11 AM

Welcome to yet another Map of the Month contest! We have 4 entries this time, so let's get started

ywkls

Level 8- Hidden Vault: Expect raising and lowering water shenanigans

Twilight Knight

A small preview of Skyland Meadow

HeroOfFire

Clearly those who lived here knew how to swim...

Valerie

This looks somewhat familiar...

• Anthus likes this

#2 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 01 June 2021 - 08:19 AM

It was between Twilight Knight and HeroOfFire for me, but Twilight Knight's sense of height won me over. I love what you did with the houses, HeroOfFire. This is a nitpick, but I think the two type of lily pads you got going clash pretty hard.

Valerie is doing wonders by expanding and improving BS. And ywkls map looks quite interesting to explore, but I'm not sure what's with all the random objects scattered around some screens.

• Valerie and Twilight Knight like this

#3 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 01 June 2021 - 08:50 AM

And ywkls map looks quite interesting to explore, but I'm not sure what's with all the random objects scattered around some screens.

I'm not sure what you're talking about, but it might be some ffc's that are showing up?

Not voting since I'm in this one.

Twilight Knight- This is an absolutely gorgeous map.

The level of detail on the ground below is astonishing.

I've done a number of sky-themed areas, but this completely blows them all out of the water.

HeroofFire-  I like what you've done with those raised platforms. This is especially because I know what inspired the design choice.

Valerie- That's the Z1 Overworld in a different tileset, right? I've only seen one other example of this being done before. Looks good.

All very good entries.

#4 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 02 June 2021 - 08:13 AM

I think Valerie's map is super cool, but I ended up voting for Twilight Knight because I liked the atmosphere and the colors so much.

#5 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 02 June 2021 - 06:11 PM

ywkls: This is easily the best map I've seen from you. There are a few issues here and there, but on the whole, it's so much better than some of your past work. I'm interested to see how it plays.

Twilight Knight: It probably shouldn't come as a surprise that I love this. It's so much my thing it feels like I'm cheating.

Hero of Fire: One of the issues I often have with your maps is that individual screens can feel samey, but this map dodges that issue quite nicely. I love the concept, I love the execution, and I just in general love it.

Val: I really like what you've done with some of these areas. There's some wonkiness with mountain heights, but that just kinda comes with the territory of Z1 remakes. A very solid map overall.

I think this is one of the best MotM turnouts I've seen since the contest started. Every map feels great and deserving of winning. Congrats to all four of you.

• Valerie, Twilight Knight, Evan20000 and 1 other like this

#6 Twilight Knight

Twilight Knight

Tell all with glee, Argon's on PureZC

• Members

Posted 03 June 2021 - 10:04 AM

The kind comments truly warm my heart, thank you!

ywkls
There are even multiple states in this massive dungeon? Awesome! Like Moosh pointed out in last SotW, I'm also not a big fan of the upper-level borders being water logged, it just makes them blend in too much with the lower floor I think. Otherwise this is an absolutely splendid looking dungeon. I sure hope you changed the whistle SFX with so many whistle secrets :-)

Hero of Fire
I really like this swampy overworld map. It reminds me a lot of the swamp in Majora's Mask, because of those neat suspended houses. Overall looks like an interesting place to explore!

Valerie
For a remake where you tried to keep the layout pretty much identical to the original, I still feel you made the most out of little details and variations to make the map unique. Certainly a welcome upgrade to the BS tileset.

• Valerie and ywkls like this

#7 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 03 June 2021 - 03:56 PM

The kind comments truly warm my heart, thank you!

ywkls
There are even multiple states in this massive dungeon? Awesome! Like Moosh pointed out in last SotW, I'm also not a big fan of the upper-level borders being water logged, it just makes them blend in too much with the lower floor I think. Otherwise this is an absolutely splendid looking dungeon. I sure hope you changed the whistle SFX with so many whistle secrets :-)

Each floor represents a state of the water being raised.

From left to right, it is highest to lowest.

I had a lot of fun making it, churning out the whole thing in about a day.

Too bad my competition blew me out of the water.

:drool:

• Twilight Knight likes this

#8 Twilight Knight

Twilight Knight

Tell all with glee, Argon's on PureZC

• Members

Posted 04 June 2021 - 02:32 AM

I had a lot of fun making it, churning out the whole thing in about a day.

You are a beast  :omg:

#9 Ghost

Ghost

Experienced Forumer

• Members

Posted 04 June 2021 - 08:44 AM

floaty fall town nice!

#10 Valerie

Valerie

Illustrious

• Members

Posted 04 June 2021 - 04:44 PM

Valerie is doing wonders by expanding and improving BS.

Thanks! :)

Valerie- That's the Z1 Overworld in a different tileset, right? I've only seen one other example of this being done before. Looks good.

I'm working on expanding the BS tileset, which is what this is made in. :)

I think Valerie's map is super cool,

Thanks! :)

Val: I really like what you've done with some of these areas. There's some wonkiness with mountain heights, but that just kinda comes with the territory of Z1 remakes. A very solid map overall.

I think this is one of the best MotM turnouts I've seen since the contest started. Every map feels great and deserving of winning. Congrats to all four of you.

I never noticed the wonkiness until you mentioned it, thanks for pointing it out, I have been working more on the map and have been able to fix alot of the wonkiness.

Valerie
For a remake where you tried to keep the layout pretty much identical to the original, I still feel you made the most out of little details and variations to make the map unique. Certainly a welcome upgrade to the BS tileset.

Thanks, I've been making alot more tiles too add more detail and variation, and I'm still adding more.
  • Twilight Knight likes this

#11 Riflezen

Riflezen

sometimes does stuff

• Members

Posted 08 June 2021 - 08:41 AM

Valerie's map is awesome, no denying that, but Twilight Knight's just pops a whole lot more. Maybe it's the smaller size?

#12 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators

Posted 01 July 2021 - 07:05 AM

Congrats to Twilight Knight for winning this contest!

ywkls (3 votes [9.09%])

Twilight Knight (24 votes [72.73%])

HeroOfFire (3 votes [9.09%])

Valerie (3 votes [9.09%])

Next contest will be up shortly

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Twilight Knight

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users