Photo

Mike's Fun House

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
32 replies to this topic

Poll: How would you rate this submission? (19 member(s) have cast votes)

-

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#16 Yloh

Yloh

My Face!!!

• Members

Posted 27 October 2014 - 07:58 AM

HMMM ... I am using 2.50 RC5 to build this game and have not tested it on 2.50.1 ... maybe that is the issue. If that is the case, just use 2.50 RC5. Thanks for pointing that out. I'll need to test out my game on that version later on today. 

• Eddy likes this

#17 Mr Silver

Mr Silver

Initiate

• Members

Posted 27 October 2014 - 06:16 PM

Well, I love world 2, the concept of neon is just great =)

Spoiler

I think that there is a relatively big issue with the quest, and that is the "tutorial". I think that this quest has a really big potential, and I can see a lot of people missing it because of the first steps of the quest. Maybe it's just me, but I think that the tutorial doesn't advertise the rest of the game very well. Personally, it made me think that this quest was going to be cheaper than it really is, and more like a trial and error one. Like I've said before, someone could download the quest, try a few times, think that all the quest is going to be that way, don't like it, and throw it off. I don't think that the tutorial is bad, but I think that you can put that later in the game, as the start of any world, and get a better result.

Also, as a minor complain, I'm kind of a completionist, and it's a bit frustrating not been able to see the fake exist without having to repeat all over again... But I think that's just nitpicking XD

Once again, I think that this quest is very nice and could really be something great, I hope my opinion can help you to make it better =)

PS: The level of the fights have risen, yeah... I've handled everything but the flame gleeok, but I've managed to run between his legs and reach the door. I guess that you want to give us this oportunity, since there is no shutter. Very kind of you! XD

Edited by Mr Silver, 27 October 2014 - 08:24 PM.

• Yloh likes this

#18 Yloh

Yloh

My Face!!!

• Members

Posted 27 October 2014 - 11:10 PM

I'm really glad you enjoyed World 2 Mr Silver!

You bring up a very good point Mr Silver. I am afraid that the beginning of my quest was very poorly designed causing people to be turned off by it. Not many people will stick through with it. I feel that it really starts getting good after world 2. My experience with zquest has improved a lot since I first started my quest, so I don't mind doing some reconstruction on the earlier parts of my quest. 

I think for my final product, I will just show a cut scene of Link getting captured by Mike and him awaken in the main part of the overworld. 

May I ask, what do you mean by fake exits? I really don't know what you are talking about. Are you talking about my Lava Maze? Also, what did you think of Cliche World? Do you think I should redesign Cliche World, the Lost Woods, and the Water Temple, or do you think they are fine the way they are? I get the feeling that world could be designed better, but I want to hear the players perspective.

Yeah, I don't expect anybody to take on the flame gleeok at that point of the game. I designed it so you can just run past it to get to where you need to go. Just go back later when you are stronger.

I really appreciate your comments so far. I hope you continue playing and continue giving me feedback.

#19 Mr Silver

Mr Silver

Initiate

• Members

Posted 28 October 2014 - 06:53 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETuDyGEJ51o

Well, I've had to try a bunch of times but finally did it! There was a time (not in the video, in other try) that a flying head got stuck in the entrance of the room, maybe you should put a flag in there or something like that.

By fake exits I mean the ones in the tutorial where you get trapped if you don't follow the arrows, but if you're going to remove it completely, it's fine for me =)

I think that you need to focus on give every screen a purpose. I mean, there are many screens in the game that could be removed completely, that feel like pure filler. Maybe you could add more secrets, like the one in the first screen of Cliche World, that keep the player interested and reward the attention to detail. For example, as you can see in the Fire Gleeok's video, there are a lot of screens that have nothing but a pair of darknuts, and they're visually kind of boring. Otherwise, in Neon you made a great work with it, since you have to pay attention at the floor and the surroundings. Another example could be the desert of Cliche World. You nailed it with the rocks drawing (the key, I mean) but apart of that, the desert felt like empty and bland, like "take your quiver and gtfo".

I didn't like at all the first minitemple. I know that you were trying to make a joke of the rehasing of the L1 of Z1, but I think that it was kind of boring, really. I think that a very short minitemple (like half of the L1 of Z1) with the same enemies in the original game but behaving totally diferent would have been a better choice for keep the player interested. For the water temple I think it was OK, apart for the few things that I told you a few posts before. Lost Woods are fine for me.

That's my two cents. I think that the quest have more ups than downs, and it's only a demo, so keep up the good work! =)

• Yloh likes this

#20 Yloh

Yloh

My Face!!!

• Members

Posted 28 October 2014 - 08:14 AM

Cool, thank you so much for you advise!

I will go back and try to give more purpose to my screens. I think I will put more cameos as well. 

Yes, now I understand what you mean by fake exits. Yeah, I think I'm going to redo that area all together to attract players.

Cliche World needs to be remodeled as it is very bland and boring and the desert area is also very poorly done overall. I also understand what you mean by my first minitemple, I will add some things to spice that area up. 

Very good job on the Fire Gleook!

#21 Yloh

Yloh

My Face!!!

• Members

Posted 28 October 2014 - 10:29 AM

This expo has given me great insight as to how to improve on my quest. I have to face that facts that the beginning of my quest is poorly done. Period. 

For the people who have managed to stick it through and make it past the first world, they are often pleasantly surprised. I'll admit that I was very new to zquest when I first started this quest and it just shows. I also have a very bad habit of rushing when I really want something done. 

I will be working on improving the QUALITY of the beginning of my game. At first, I thought starting the player off in a hell environment was funny, but I see that it leaves a bad taste in the player's mouths. My first world is also very bland and boring with many useless screens. I understand why only a few people make it past world 1. 

I have been spending a great amount of time on this quest and I intend on seeing it through to the very end. 

So, I will be working on GREATLY improving the beginning of my quest. I plan on: doing a small cutscene of Link getting kidnapped, making the tutorial be a very simple area that doesn't kill the players and still introduces the rules of the house, and improving the overall quality of world 1. With my experience now, I can get things done much more efficiently and I have received positive remarks about world 2 and onward. World 1 will be redone, almost from the ground up, to give each screen a purpose. Parts of my Main Lobby area are also bland, and I will plan on giving those screens purpose as well. 

I have learned that quantity isn't the most important part of a good quest, but it is quality. 

The house is under construction. 

• strike likes this

#22 Eppy

Eppy

Alisa~

• Members

Posted 31 October 2014 - 12:24 AM

I take it the levels are the warps with a number above it. If so, I managed to get some items in 1 and then cheat my way into 4 and 5.

#23 Yloh

Yloh

My Face!!!

• Members

Posted 31 October 2014 - 10:50 AM

Yes, the warps are the levels. Each warp will take you to a world and each world has a main dungeon in it. When you get a triforce piece, that world is done.

Originally, I didn't design this quest with the boomerang in mind and decided to add the boomerang in the last minute. You can skip the yellow brick road part by hitting the switch with the boomerang letting you go straight into Mike's Garden early on.

#24 Mr Silver

Mr Silver

Initiate

• Members

Posted 31 October 2014 - 12:03 PM

Well, I've had very little time this days, but I've played a little more.

I think that you should make this warp (the one closer to link) red. The way it is, it's kind of unfair...

wumcnc.png

Simon says was very funny. I have to repeat it since I chose the bad exit and I did a rage quit... but well, it was funny! I think that you should make the safe spot in the "break the target who is different with the sword" bigger, since I hit the target with the sword, indeed, but I died because the sword range is bigger than the safe spot. I think a 3x3 box will be enough.

I've just beaten boss arena 3... Cheating, of course. It's ridiculous, even cheating is hard. Maybe with a red ring or something, but right now, impossible.

Glitch world is... well, super confusing at the very least, yeah. I don't know how to open the dungeon, yet, I guess I'm missing the power bracelet, but at least you put a warp, so I don't have to pass through it again XD

A typo here

2j2ff4g.png

Also...

4g3dop.png

=(

#25 Yloh

Yloh

My Face!!!

• Members

Posted 31 October 2014 - 12:23 PM

I can understand what you mean by the portal Mr Silver. My mind set was, I wanted players to pay attention to the color of the portals. The portals of the same color will teleport you to the same room, but the portals of a different color will teleport you to different rooms. The green portal to the upper right was the portal you came out of. By observing the room from that portal, you can see that the other green portal would teleport you over lava. What you said makes since about it being kind of unfair, so I will make that portal red.

Your suggestion about the 3x3 safe spot in Simon Says will be done. I figured Simon Says was perfect for my game.

For Glitch World, you don't need the power bracelet to enter the dungeon. You need to find a key. It requires you to look under armos at one point. 

What did you think about arena 3? Did you like the gimmick?

I see you found my golden tower. That is going to be an optional area with a really good reward.

Thank you for spotting the typos.

#26 xanadude

xanadude

heh

• Members

Posted 02 November 2014 - 10:41 PM

Every demo, I made a video of me playing it. Check it out: https://www.youtube....y-2e2C6vumMkry-

Am I missing something? I just don't get it at all. None of it makes sense at all. I didn't like it, but I GUESS I see the appeal. I guess a 1.

#27 Yloh

Yloh

My Face!!!

• Members

Posted 02 November 2014 - 11:59 PM

Every demo, I made a video of me playing it. Check it out: https://www.youtube....y-2e2C6vumMkry-

Am I missing something? I just don't get it at all. None of it makes sense at all. I didn't like it, but I GUESS I see the appeal. I guess a 1.

HAHAHA, I just watched your video. I'll admit that I did a horrible job at the beginning of my quest and am currently working of every issue that people have pointed out to me.

I also understand it was very confusing, so I am working on that as well.

Edit: May I ask, did you read the description of my game at all? That might help make things less confusing for you. I understand the nature of my quest may not appeal to a large crowd, so I can understand why some people may dislike it.

Edited by Yloh, 03 November 2014 - 12:10 AM.

#28 RedmageAdam

RedmageAdam

The Protector of Emotions

• Members

Posted 03 November 2014 - 12:19 AM

Okay, here are my thoughts in this expo:

First of all, do NOT expect this to be an easy game. Hell, it's FAR from it. This game wants you D-E-A-D. I will admit the beginning is unfair and is nearly on par with I Wanna Be The Guy in terms of cheapness. Stay too long on the opening string? Game over. Don't move as soon as you come back from said death? Game over. The opening in my opinion is not well executed; it gives an Armageddon Quest feel that could scare away players. After the beginning and likely quite a few deaths, the game gets more fairly balanced. I feel that this sudden change in difficulty does hurt the quest. Let's face it; anyone that gets through that hellish beginning is going to be shocked to see the game become more fairly balanced. I mean if the game was consistently at Battletoads difficulty standards or consistently in the "Just Right" category, fine.

One thing I do like are the rules. They're easy to remember and follow; breaking them is purely your fault and I won't lie, I did break Rule #2 on purpose just to see what would happen in Cliche World. Result? Have a nice death. With the rules, I never found it too hard to follow them. Failing to follow them from what I've seen leads to rather humorous lines before your inevitable demise. However, a couple points it does get annoying enough to make you scream WTF in frustration. For instance, in World 1's final dungeon, if you're not careful, you'll end up drowning yourself. However, if you know what to look for, you hopefully won't fall for the schmuck bait.

I won't lie Y1oh, you really hit my soft spot; your music selection. I did recognize most themes, such as World 1 being from Bayou Billy and World 2's dungeon being the intro to Streets of Rage 1. It seems we have similar tastes :P.

Pros:

-Humorous deaths if you decide to laugh at the rules (getting eaten by a smiley face seriously made me laugh)

-Great music

-Nice usage of layering in the Water Temple and with two levels of water

-Marking the bombable walls (addresses a common dislike of unmarked bombable walls)

-Really love the sheep minigame; I honestly underestimated the bait

Neutral:

-The lobby's palette is a bit odd to me

-Minor graphical issues while rafting in the Water Temple

-The sheep minigame is a bit odd; sometimes you'll swing your sword once and get booted as if you tried to use it multiple times

-The shooting minigame in my opinion should have some kind of visible timer and the flags to disable warps after the enemies die; killing all of the enemies then getting booted is rather frustrating

Cons:

-The beginning will give the player mixed signals about the quest overall being very difficult with more manageable gameplay following it

-The overworld has a lot of open corners; a few is fine, but they're everywhere

-A few moments of pure cheapness that take from the experience in my opinion (the killer Delicious Fruit in the Lost Woods, Water Temple drowning traps)

Difficulty Rating: Tough D=

Expo Rating: 4/5

Edited by RedmageAdam, 03 November 2014 - 03:26 PM.

• Yloh and Mr Silver like this

#29 xanadude

xanadude

heh

• Members

Posted 03 November 2014 - 02:20 PM

I feel bad for giving it a one, it makes it seem like it's HORRID, which it isn't. I was just tired from the rest of the demo. I get the humor, and I can clearly see the appeal. It's just not for me. But, I will bump up my ranking to a 3!

#30 Mr Silver

Mr Silver

Initiate

• Members

Posted 03 November 2014 - 06:12 PM

I guess I have to look for that key, then, but I have to be honest... Glitch World is not the funniest place to look for obscure things, I don't really like it =(

Yeah, the gimmick in Arena 3 is nice, I had to try a few times to get the prize, even cheating. I guess you get no different prize if you do it without cheating, am I wrong? Maybe you can put two ways at the beginning (easy and hard), so you can take a route with no cheating items so you can get a super prize when you are more prepared for it =)

The golden tower sounds great. It's a shame it's not in the game right now =(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users