Photo

The Fight For Balance

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

Poll: The Fight For Balance (18 member(s) have cast votes)

Well, what did you think?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Octorockoncrack

Octorockoncrack

Crystal Warrior

• Members

Posted 14 October 2014 - 10:21 AM

Download Here: http://expo.purezc.n...nce/FFBExpo.qst

Tl;dr version is in red (As much as I would like you to read the whole thing, I can't really force you to)

To the best of my knowledge, this should work fine with any version of ZC 2.5

KEEP IN MIND THAT THIS IS ONLY A TEASER!!! IT IS VERY SHORT AND INVOLVES NO ACTUAL GAMEPLAY!!!

BUT DO NOT LET THAT DISCOURAGE YOU FROM TRYING IT OUT!!! I HAVE PUT A LOT OF WORK INTO THIS PROJECT!!!

QfM5dOK.png

Hm, where do I start? Well, I guess I should start with a huge apology. You see, I did not intend to submit something so small to this expo. My original intention was to have a demo that was complete up until the end of the second dungeon, but life and time constraints have made it so this could not happen. I am genuinely sorry for this, but it just wasn't feasible. However, I do plan on having such a demo out before the end of December (and that's THIS year. Its not like I'm working on SSBB, ya know :awesome:).

I would say that I have roughly 70% of that demo's content completed. But since I like to work on things that do not exactly follow chronological order, there are a bunch of things that still need to be done in the "main hub" of the game (an area known as Lowetown), as well as other areas. Due to this reason, I can't even put out an extremely small demo without there being "holes" in it.

To give you some backstory of how this got started, I have been messing around with ZC for at least 6 years now. I discovered it around the beginning of my freshman year of high school. I was so fed up with school, and I actually used ZC as a sort of outlet for that. I did an amazing job of holding straight F's all throughout high school (lol), and I used to skip all the time so that I could stay home and work on my quests (It was almost 70 days I skipped in my first year! :x). Now, I have miraculously found my way into college, and I have been there for about a year. I am getting straight A's with a 3.9 GPA, and I am majoring in electronic simulation and game design. So knowing this, it should be easy to figure out that I am serious about my work. I want to do this kind of thing for a living, so be as critical as you would like if you bother to let this short teaser play itself out!

The Fight For Balance (or FFB, for short) has been worked on for around 6 months (a year if you count me taking my unpredictable, couple-month breaks). What little bit you will see in this teaser has had at least 60 hours of work put into it. I've gone back to re-edit and re-polish it many, many times. But going through such a process is part of the job, and I can say that I am very proud of my work. How will it be received by you guys? Well, I guess I will find out after the expo opens. :D

So what can you expect from this teaser? Well, it will last somewhere around 5 minutes, but this intense introduction will leave you with a shiver in your spine! That, I can guarantee!

Now, I don't want to actually spoil anything about the story in this description, because that's the reason for releasing a teaser like this. Actions speak louder than words - as they say - so I will let my work speak for itself here.

But if you like what you see and want to help, I am more than willing to accept that help! Whether it is beta-testing or helping with some of the things that I cannot do, I would be incredibly grateful. As we all know, one man by himself cannot create a full game. Many times, a large team is required to achieve anything close to that. What I am looking for are graphics and scripting assistance. I will be learning how to use ZScript, but that is going to be a long and tedious process, and even longer to do some of the things I hope to accomplish with it. So if I am to reach that December deadline for a demo, I will need your help! If you are interested in helping, or if you have any questions relating to the project, send me a PM! I will be opening a quest project page for FFB soon after the expo opens, but I cannot guarantee exactly when that will be, because I do not have internet access at home right now.

So, to make a long story short - let me know what you guys think! I am very eager to hear your feedback, both positive and negative! I would be very grateful just to know that you took the time to look into what I have created! You guys are awesome, and you all need to know it! :P

You will know that you have reached the end of the demo when you see my name (-Octorockoncrack-).

• Shane, Eddy and Dimentio like this

#2 Demonlink

Demonlink

Experienced Quest Developer

• Members

Posted 26 October 2014 - 04:38 PM

I gave it a four, because my gosh, that was a pretty much professional work of using Scripted Cutscenes am I correct? The sfx, the mood, the music choosing, the intro, all of it was well balanced and man, I did get a creepy feeling in the Battle between the Soldiers and Monsters. Definitely looking forward to this, but I can't rate it a 5 right now, I hope I can change my vote later on when I can actually feel the game. Best of luck to you good sir! :D 

#3 Octorockoncrack

Octorockoncrack

Crystal Warrior

• Members

Posted 26 October 2014 - 06:36 PM

Thanks for being the first one to post your opinion! Actually, there are only three small scripts used in this teaser. One script disables all controller input, the second plays a specified SFX on screen entry, and the third causes the screen to shake. Everything else is done with timed warps and FFCs. I dont have the exact numbers right now, but I know that I used over an entire maps-worth of screens for this intro. Even if I knew how to use ZScript, I would probably still use this method to do my cutscenes. I try to stay as close to the original engine as much as i can.

Anyways, thanks again! Im gonna have to start playing a bunch of the entries when I get back home. 

• Demonlink likes this

#4 Eddy

Eddy

"The Hylian Champion"

• Database Staff

Posted 27 October 2014 - 06:51 AM

Found a little typo:

http://prntscr.com/508o46

"i" is supposed to be capitalised lol

Anyways, I am blown away from that intro. I just have no words for this... that was by far the greatest intro/teaser I've ever seen in a ZC quest and there was absolutely nothing bad about it. I'm giving this a 5 for having a truly amazing intro.

Best of luck on the project, all your work is really paying off so far :D

• Dimentio likes this

#5 Avataro

Quest maker

• Members

Posted 27 October 2014 - 11:36 AM

Amazing teaser! That was one hell of an intro :D This story and the entire cutscene feels professional and it makes for a creepy mood. So, I'm looking forward to seeing more of this project and I really hope you'll be finishing this one day! (looking forward to that next demo too!)

As for help, I might be able to help with scripting. It really all depends on what kind of scripting you are looking for. I'm currently learning how to use ghost.zh to create scripted enemies, so once I'm used to using it, I'd be able to help you out with bosses. I'm a fan of story type quests, and that's why I want to see this project being finished. :)

Edited by Avataro, 27 October 2014 - 11:37 AM.

#6 ZeldaPlayer

ZeldaPlayer

What's up my playas

• Members

Posted 27 October 2014 - 08:29 PM

I would not lie, you are so amazing in making intros!  :D  Good teaser Octorockoncrack! 5/5

#7 Octorockoncrack

Octorockoncrack

Crystal Warrior

• Members

Posted 28 October 2014 - 04:23 PM

Thanks guys! I really appreciate your feedback so far! I know some of you might be reluctant to try the teaser because I didnt actually show anything in the initial post, but maybe some of the other members opinions will encourage you to watch it!

If you guys are interested in the numbers, I counted a total of:

128 screens and
640 freeform combos in this intro (although not all of them are visable, like changer FFCs).

Anyways:

Eddy: ...wow. This just goes to show you that no matter how many times you look for errors, something can always slip past you lol. I will fix this asap, Thanks!

Avataro: One of the main points that I wanted to achieve was to make the cutscene feel as professional as possible, so its good to know that this goal that I had is paying off! When I get the chance, I will send you a message with some of the things I am looking for regarding the bosses. I am typing this on a phone right now, so itll be a lot easier to do so when I am at an actual computer with internet access. Im flattered that you are offering to help, especially because I am a big fan of your work!

ZeldaPlayer: Thanks a lot man! As I have stated before, I have put a lot of work into this, so it is nice to know that you guys are liking what little bit I have showcased here!

Now, I had a couple of questions for anyone who has tried the teaser:

1) Is there anything that you really liked, or anything that stuck out to you in this teaser?

2) Do you guys have any speculations as to what will happen? After such horrible events befall a nation and its hero, what can be done? Im curious to hear your predictions! (this might be better to answer in a spoiler box)

Anyways, thanks again guys!
  • Eddy and Avataro like this

#8 Mero

Mero

Touch Fluffy Tail

• Banned

Posted 29 October 2014 - 07:33 AM

Okay, I took back my zero and gave you a 5/5 after trying out your teaser and that doesn't just happen for no reason. Seriously dude, this was superb. Props for all the hard work on those professional quality cutscenes. Looking forward to this.

Also Krakens rule :)

Edited by Freya, 29 October 2014 - 07:33 AM.

#9 Eddy

Eddy

"The Hylian Champion"

• Database Staff

Posted 29 October 2014 - 11:46 AM

Now, I had a couple of questions for anyone who has tried the teaser:

1) Is there anything that you really liked, or anything that stuck out to you in this teaser?

2) Do you guys have any speculations as to what will happen? After such horrible events befall a nation and its hero, what can be done? Im curious to hear your predictions! (this might be better to answer in a spoiler box)

1) The FFC usage. That is some insanely amazing usage. I've never seen FFCs used in such a way like that and I love it.

2)

Prediction

#10 Shane

Shane

Epic Gamer

• Members

Posted 30 October 2014 - 09:21 AM

I missed your amazing cutscenes so much.

5/5

• Jared likes this

#11 xanadude

xanadude

heh

• Members

Posted 02 November 2014 - 10:20 PM

Every demo, I made a YouTube video of me playing. Check it out: https://www.youtube....y-2e2C6vumMkry-

Wow. Just plain wow. What a wonderful cutscene. Can't wait to see more! It gets a 3 for now, but man, that cutscene.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users