Fall 2014 Expo

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#31 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 05 August 2014 - 10:48 AM

That's what I'm saying.  Making use of video and/or animated GIFs to show some of those unique features would really help the draw of the demos.  Not everyone wants a Youtube though, so recording GIFs, and uploading them to an image site like Photobucket or ImageShack is an alternative that works, as they still accomplish the goal of showing mechanics.  It just doesn't have any sound.

#32 anikom15

anikom15

Dictator

• Banned

Posted 05 August 2014 - 11:20 AM

If you're worried about load time, as with video, they can be inserted into spoiler/hidden tags, such that they only load when the browsers want to see what's going on. Best to provide the option than nothing at all; just a bunch of screenshots doesn't really do much in this day and age. People want to see how unique the gameplay is, and if there are any mechanics they'd find fun or interesting. Having to download a demo just to see that is a thing of the past.

The main problem is the way loading gifs work. If they aren't small, then it lags until the entire gif is loaded, unlike video. I can't imagine how long it would take to load a 240p gif at 30 fps to load compared to a video.

Screenshots are good. They're more likely to pique my interest. A gif will more likely have me instinctively click back.

Edited by anikom15, 05 August 2014 - 11:22 AM.

#33 trudatman

trudatman

one point nine hero

• Members
  • Location:State Of Love And Trust, The United State Of Amorica.

Posted 05 August 2014 - 01:09 PM

agreed. gifs are terrible and should have gone away with the internet of the early 1990's.

Edited by trudatman, 08 August 2014 - 10:46 PM.

#34 Einsiety

Einsiety

~ Blaze Fielding ~

• Forum Moderators

Posted 06 August 2014 - 08:13 AM

If you're worried about load time, as with video, they can be inserted into spoiler/hidden tags, such that they only load when the browsers want to see what's going on.  Best to provide the option than nothing at all; just a bunch of screenshots doesn't really do much in this day and age.  People want to see how unique the gameplay is, and if there are any mechanics they'd find fun or interesting.  Having to download a demo just to see that is a thing of the past.

Experiencing a Demo and watching a demo are two different thing. .-.

Edited by Nexas, 06 August 2014 - 08:16 AM.

• David likes this

#35 Eddy

Eddy

"The Hylian Champion"

• Database Staff

Posted 06 August 2014 - 08:23 AM

I would personally rather play through a demo, experience what the quest feels like, get a gist of what there is to expect in the quest and enjoy what there is to offer, rather than watching someone else play through the demo. Honestly, watching a video of the demo to see the features removes the fun of the whole thing.

#36 LinktheMaster

LinktheMaster

Hey Listen, Kid

• Members

Posted 07 August 2014 - 06:17 AM

Why not zoid -- err, both? :P

I don't think you need to pick or choose.  A video can definitely increase peoples' interest in a quest.  Maybe not an LP, but a trailer of some sorts where you show small bits of gameplay here and there could be really beneficial whether you have a demo or not.  Enough to where it doesn't ruin peoples' playthroughs, but enough to make them see the potential your quest has.

• nicklegends, Koh, Shane and 2 others like this

#37 Eddy

Eddy

"The Hylian Champion"

• Database Staff

Posted 07 August 2014 - 12:23 PM

I don't think you need to pick or choose.  A video can definitely increase peoples' interest in a quest.  Maybe not an LP, but a trailer of some sorts where you show small bits of gameplay here and there could be really beneficial whether you have a demo or not.  Enough to where it doesn't ruin peoples' playthroughs, but enough to make them see the potential your quest has.

That explains it pretty well actually.

With all this talk about demos though, I hope I'll have enough time to whip up a demo of Hero's Legend 2 before the expo comes...

#38 Dimentio

Dimentio

Procrastinator at heart

• Members

Posted 08 August 2014 - 10:20 AM

Nice! I hope to include my own quest, "The Legend of Zelda: Shadows of Miadra", in the expo lineup. However, I may show a screenshot or too in the screenshot critique thread ;)

#39 nicklegends

nicklegends

Trofessional Pransposer

• Contributors

Posted 08 August 2014 - 08:23 PM

Teasers are good if they don't take too much time away from development. The most important thing is that you complete your quest, not show off temporary progress in novel ways.

#40 klop422

klop422

Evil Crazy Mastermind

• Members

Posted 09 August 2014 - 12:44 PM

OK, I doubt it's much of a problem, but the laptop in my house with ZC on it is broken. It'll probably be repaired soon, but if not, could I submit my entry a day or two late? If not, it's probably fine, because it''l probably be fixed soon, but just in case...

#41 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 11 August 2014 - 08:33 PM

This basically.  Like, the video would show just how unique your quest would be in the sea of other ZC quests, and hook in players if you have interesting enough mechanics (like say, a recreated Cane of Pacci).  The video could be both the beginning and the end though.  If your video fails to show people what' so special about your project, it'll turn them off.

Edited by Koh, 11 August 2014 - 08:33 PM.

#42 Shane

Shane

Average Quest Maker

• Members

Posted 11 August 2014 - 08:37 PM

...No one said the videos were a problem. The issue was the gifs. Sure, people prefer a demo, but who would prefer a video over a demo? A video could be false advertisement. You might think the features are flawless, but who knows? If you played a demo, you may find a bug, helping polishing and bug testing the quest before full release.

Edited by Shane, 11 August 2014 - 08:42 PM.

#43 anikom15

anikom15

Dictator

• Banned

Posted 11 August 2014 - 08:44 PM

Okay kids both videos and demos have their place, but what gaming company releases animated gifs of gameplay footage?

They didn't even do that in the 90s!

Edited by anikom15, 11 August 2014 - 08:44 PM.

• Shane and David like this

#44 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 11 August 2014 - 08:48 PM

...No one said the videos were a problem. The issue was the gifs. Sure, people prefer a demo, but who would prefer a video over a demo? A video could be false advertisement. You might think the features are flawless, but who knows? If you played a demo, you may find a bug, helping polishing and bug testing the quest before full release.

That's if the video gets them interested enough to try the demo though.  Think about how some peeps felt after they saw the gameplay trailer of Midora.  The same effect could happen here.  The video shows that the gameplay isn't all that unique, so people go "Meh," and move on.  We're all encouraging to have both something that showcases what mechanics set your thing apart AND a demo that interested people can be like "Let me see how I like it~"  Without the showcase, there will be more peeps who just gloss over the thread and pay no attention to the downloads, because they haven't seen any gameplay that'd make them want to play for themselves.

Edited by Koh, 11 August 2014 - 08:49 PM.

#45 Einsiety

Einsiety

~ Blaze Fielding ~

• Forum Moderators

Posted 10 September 2014 - 04:44 PM

Well, this just in...

...expect "something".

• Jared and Astromeow like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users