Photo

Screenshot of the Week 491

Mudkipz joelmacool12 Dwarlen Lineas Zahalfor

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
30 replies to this topic

Poll: Screenshot of the Week 491 (65 member(s) have cast votes)

~

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#16 Binx

Binx

Formerly Lineas

• Members

Posted 19 January 2015 - 05:23 PM

Lineas: that screen looks like a fun cutscene and intro to your quest. The animations look a little crude, but perhaps it's because of the GIF and it's different in-game.

Yeah, the animations do look a bit more fluid in-game, but they're still pretty crude, even there, if I'm being honest. 

#17 Twilight Knight

Twilight Knight

Tell all with glee, Argon's on PureZC

• Members

Posted 19 January 2015 - 05:32 PM

I actually think that the fog in Mudkipz screen is very cleverly done. Like in real life where you can see a bit around you, but further than a few meters you see only fog.

• Shane likes this

#18 Zahalfor

Zahalfor

• Members

Posted 19 January 2015 - 05:38 PM

I actually think that the fog in Mudkipz screen is very cleverly done. Like in real life where you can see a bit around you, but further than a few meters you see only fog.

That is a point. Guess it depends on your perspective... or should I say Link's? haha And what kind of fog it is. Some fog is from clouds just lying low like, and other fog is kind of wispy and moves with any breath of air. Hmmm Now you've got me thinking lol.

#19 Mero

Mero

Touch Fluffy Tail

• Banned

Posted 20 January 2015 - 09:48 AM

Joelmacool: Quite an excellent classic screen you got here, love link sprite. The LTTP flowers fit in nicely too. The mountain tiles actually look better CSet2 then CSet3 imo.

Dwarlen: The overall screen design is quite good but the Entrance and the surrounding area has way too much contrast my friend.

Mudkipz: Excellent job but that frog breaks it. Try using either an animated fog instead or a static scrolling fog. Someone should write a script for that. :whistle:

Lineas: Gives me Peanuts flashblacks, love it. Your walls perspectives are incorrect however if all your walls use this perspective then it is fine. Voted here cause 10/10 for originality and 8/10 design

Zahalfor: You sure do use them Mountain tiles interestedly, and I love it to. Gives the look of different levels of steepness. Good job. But the edges are a bit too open for a mountain screen I think and this looks more like a desert plain.

• Shane, Joelmacool and Binx like this

#20 Binx

Binx

Formerly Lineas

• Members

Posted 20 January 2015 - 02:33 PM

Lineas: Gives me Peanuts flashblacks, love it. Your walls perspectives are incorrect however if all your walls use this perspective then it is fine. Voted here cause 10/10 for originality and 8/10 design

Yeah, honestly, the wall perspective bugs me, as well, I'll have to go look at how the perspectives were done on some other walls and fix it before I release the first demo.

#21 Mero

Mero

Touch Fluffy Tail

• Banned

Posted 20 January 2015 - 03:01 PM

Take a look at the houses for Zelda's Awakening, they're quite similar.

• Binx likes this

#22 Dwarlen

Dwarlen

Experienced Forumer

• Members

Posted 21 January 2015 - 11:35 AM

Dwarlen :  Looks to small and dark of a land-mass and untouched meaning too clean looking the lands/tower for such a Majestic tower ruin base. It looks like a walk in lawn-mowed central park and needs lots of Jungle-vines to truly be ancient.

Even if the tower may be erected ageless as if it was just born yesterday.

You have a point. And the more I think the about the area the more I think I need to be going for more of an ancient/overgrown look, so I plan on working on that a bit.

Dwarlen: though the overall design of your screens is really good (the mountain layout, tree placement), it looks quite bland with so few ground decorations. The greatest thing (however I think it's a pain to use it) about the DoR 2.0 set is the SD3 grass detail. Look at examples like this screen by Jared on how to use the grass detail. It would really make your screens look twice as good. Otherwise, this screen is really good.

The grass... I manged to completely forget about that didn't I? Never have been really sure how to use that grass though so thanks a bunch for the link to Jared's screen. I'll definitely see about working on the grass.

Dwarlen: The overall screen design is quite good but the Entrance and the surrounding area has way too much contrast my friend.

Not quite sure what you mean by contrast. Do you mean the colors contrast to much or that the entrance simply looks out of place in its environment?

• Twilight Knight likes this

#23 Twilight Knight

Twilight Knight

• Members

Posted 22 January 2015 - 07:43 AM

The grass... I manged to completely forget about that didn't I? Never have been really sure how to use that grass though so thanks a bunch for the link to Jared's screen. I'll definitely see about working on the grass.

It's great that you will work on it! It is really the eye-catcher of the DoR tileset and I think your screenshots will look a lot more appealing if you use it. Basically, using the tileset can be pretty easy. I personally try to place the full 4x4(tiles) texture down wherever it is possible, and use single tiles of the texture on places where there isn't a flower or other object. Then at last I place a few default DoR grass tiles down where I feel it's right. I can provide you with screenshots if you still need some help, because I know my description is a bit vague.

#24 Dwarlen

Dwarlen

Experienced Forumer

• Members

Posted 22 January 2015 - 01:32 PM

It's great that you will work on it! It is really the eye-catcher of the DoR tileset and I think your screenshots will look a lot more appealing if you use it. Basically, using the tileset can be pretty easy. I personally try to place the full 4x4(tiles) texture down wherever it is possible, and use single tiles of the texture on places where there isn't a flower or other object. Then at last I place a few default DoR grass tiles down where I feel it's right. I can provide you with screenshots if you still need some help, because I know my description is a bit vague.

Honestly, your description doesn't sound that vague to me :). Yesterday I decided to touch my submission screen up a bit and if you would like to check out the results I posted it in the Official Screenshot Critique Thread. I think I'm starting to get the hang of the grass, but I have a question. Do you think more default DoR grass tiles should be used in a forest or do you think that a forest should be treated the same as anywhere else grass wise?

#25 Twilight Knight

Twilight Knight

• Members

Posted 22 January 2015 - 02:44 PM

I think you should use it anywhere. I've seen your updated screenshot and I think it looks much better now, great job man.

#26 SkyLizardGirl

SkyLizardGirl

Unbeknownst to danger we call upon your help

• Banned

Posted 22 January 2015 - 05:17 PM

Honestly, your description doesn't sound that vague to me :). Yesterday I decided to touch my submission screen up a bit and if you would like to check out the results I posted it in the Official Screenshot Critique Thread. I think I'm starting to get the hang of the grass, but I have a question. Do you think more default DoR grass tiles should be used in a forest or do you think that a forest should be treated the same as anywhere else grass wise?

Jungle forest vines are always cool'za.* What would completes it, is like a transparent smoke thing moving/hovering above the tower, even a small one at that.
!0_^! however I wonders if it would be over-doing it just a bits.

( I am getting more and more into 'transparent over-layers' and getting quite good at drawing thems.
Some of my future landscape screenshots may seem a bit different next time i go for them heres soon. )

Edited by SkyLizardGirl, 22 January 2015 - 05:39 PM.

#27 Dwarlen

Dwarlen

Experienced Forumer

• Members

Posted 23 January 2015 - 11:03 AM

I think you should use it anywhere. I've seen your updated screenshot and I think it looks much better now, great job man.

Glad you like the updated screenshot :). And thanks a bunch for your advice, it's been very helpful!

Jungle forest vines are always cool'za.* What would completes it, is like a transparent smoke thing moving/hovering above the tower, even a small one at that.
!0_^! however I wonders if it would be over-doing it just a bits.

( I am getting more and more into 'transparent over-layers' and getting quite good at drawing thems.
Some of my future landscape screenshots may seem a bit different next time i go for them heres soon. )

The transparent smoke might be overdoing it just a little bit ;), plus I honestly can't see any logical reason for there to be smoke (though logic isn't everything). Then of course there is the fact that on an adjacent screen I actually tried to get some transparent shadows going on to add to the forest effect there, but for some reason the colors it was choosing for transparence just looked ugly. I don't know if it's something about the way my palette is set up or what :shrug:.

#28 SkyLizardGirl

SkyLizardGirl

Unbeknownst to danger we call upon your help

• Banned

Posted 23 January 2015 - 06:47 PM

Glad you like the updated screenshot :). And thanks a bunch for your advice, it's been very helpful!

The transparent smoke might be overdoing it just a little bit ;), plus I honestly can't see any logical reason for there to be smoke (though logic isn't everything). Then of course there is the fact that on an adjacent screen I actually tried to get some transparent shadows going on to add to the forest effect there, but for some reason the colors it was choosing for transparence just looked ugly. I don't know if it's something about the way my palette is set up or what :shrug:.

The Dry-Ice effect is probs what i meants or at least near the water belows then.

The darker the landscape the harder it is in fact to use the shadow effects over it, so may try a lighter dark green grass but not over-lightening the grass color on the palette.

Edited by SkyLizardGirl, 23 January 2015 - 06:48 PM.

#29 Binx

Binx

Formerly Lineas

• Members

Posted 23 January 2015 - 08:24 PM

Take a look at the houses for Zelda's Awakening, they're quite similar.

I went ahead and did that, it really helped me get my walls looking much better (still not perfect, but much better),so thank you very much.

• nicklegends likes this

#30 Lecayle

Lecayle

One bug, two bug, fix one, new bug. (Coder's humor)

• Members

Posted 25 January 2015 - 01:34 AM

Joelmacool12: reminds of old computer games like king's quest but the grid map I have never been a big fan of. That is NOT why I didn't vote for this screen though.

Dwarlen: I feel as though we are interrupting something we may rather not..

Mudkipz: are we in the slums of a village where the locals are poor and hungrily eyeballing link as a "rare" treat"?

Lineas: super bowl party!

Zahalfor: I like it but can't lay my finger on why. I have to say this was my second choice because of that difficulty to find what I liked. All of these screens are enjoyable, and I would like to see them in their quests.

Edited by Lecayle, 25 January 2015 - 01:35 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Mudkipz, joelmacool12, Dwarlen, Lineas, Zahalfor

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users