Photo

Screenshot of the Week 491

Mudkipz joelmacool12 Dwarlen Lineas Zahalfor

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
30 replies to this topic

Poll: Screenshot of the Week 491 (65 member(s) have cast votes)

~

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 nicklegends

nicklegends

Trofessional Pransposer

• Contributors
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 18 January 2015 - 07:34 PM

joelmacool12
joelmacool12.png
This is part of my new project... not saying what it is though :D

Dwarlen
Dwarlen.png
A small tower still standing strong despite the ravages of time...

Mudkipz
Mudkipz.png
The villagers seem a bit ...odd here

Lineas
Lineas.gif
Sunday Funeral rocks faces off at a local bar.

Zahalfor
Zahalfor.png
Link: I've climbed all the way up this mountain just for a hole in the cliff?

• Joelmacool likes this

#2 Binx

Binx

Formerly Lineas

• Members

Posted 18 January 2015 - 08:00 PM

Wow, I've got some great competition here :) Love the zombie motif Mudkipz used!

EDIT: Nulled vote, of course. Just thought I'd mention.

Edited by Lineas, 19 January 2015 - 05:26 PM.

#3 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 18 January 2015 - 08:03 PM

Mudkipz gets my vote. I'm not exactly sure why, but this screen just feels fresh to me and it bugs me that I can't put my finger on it. I'm assuming the grey outline is supposed to be fog (though I'm not sure I'm right here), in which case I'd prefer it if it was a little bit more than a clear-cut outline, like maybe you could have a couple of horizontal lines of fog drift outwards from it every couple tile or so. I also have this idea that it'd look better as a transparent layer, but I could be completely off on that one and doing so could potentially undo the effect it currently gives to the screen.

Those villagers are zombies! Right?!

• Binx likes this

#4 Rambly

Rambly

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 18 January 2015 - 08:20 PM

this screen just feels fresh to me

yeah I agree, Zombies are epic and new and interesting

I still voted for Mudkipz though.  Cool atmosphere.

• Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder likes this

#5 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 18 January 2015 - 08:27 PM

yeah I agree, Zombies are epic and new and interesting

I still voted for Mudkipz though.  Cool atmosphere.

I was going to make a stupid shout-out to a certain old quest of mine but then I realized how dumb that would make me look and I removed the line. Though I didn't think about how dumb it'd make me look if I just pointed out zombies excitedly for no apparent reason so I didn't remove that part, and I did not expect you to point that out to make me look even dumber and now I feel real dumb! Now I don't know what to do with myself.

That said, we haven't really seen that many zombie-related quests though? Is this a theme throughout your quest Mudkipz, or is this something else? Like, this is why I like this screen, because I have so many ideas as to what could be going on here. On one hand Link could be trapped in a village battling zombies. On the other hand, this could all be a dream sequence in which Link is being tormented by his friends and neighbors. Or maybe it's a The Walking Dead-crossover episode, like I said, there's so many possibilities!

#6 strike

strike

life is fragile, temporary, and precious

• Members

Posted 18 January 2015 - 08:29 PM

This is a really great week!

I don't know who I'm going to vote for...

-Strike

#7 ZeldaPlayer

ZeldaPlayer

What's up my playas

• Members

Posted 18 January 2015 - 09:02 PM

I voted for Dwarlen this week.

#8 SkyLizardGirl

SkyLizardGirl

Unbeknownst to danger we call upon your help

• Banned

Posted 19 January 2015 - 03:42 AM

joelmacool12 :  i Likes the over layers even over the original well-thoughtout pieces.

Dwarlen :  Looks to small and dark of a land-mass and untouched meaning too clean looking the lands/tower for such a Majestic tower ruin base. It looks like a walk in lawn-mowed central park and needs lots of Jungle-vines to truly be ancient.

Even if the tower may be erected ageless as if it was just born yesterday.

Mudkipz :  Likes the Links awakening pieces so i expect that type of interacting in a scene shot: Meaning explanation from the people standing around why houses are knocked down broken-up.

( I don't consider people zombies just because 'they be green.')  ~Could be based of a reptilian type people 'like me' for all you know..

Lineas :  This brings me back to working on various RPG maker scenes with various surreal character sprites and even more appealing when in a Zelda game seeing 'more present day type era' in a screenshot. This is very unique.

Zahalfor : It is ok i guess, ... Consider a fairly-large golden beam of over-layer transparent light shining downwards from the overhead sky:  top right diagonal of the screen to give it more ~ the appeal of hot sunshine hitting the desert.

('~ Either that or a Lens flare effect.*)  !0~0!

Edited by SkyLizardGirl, 19 January 2015 - 07:32 AM.

• Joelmacool and Binx like this

#9 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 19 January 2015 - 11:31 AM

Pretty good week, though I'm probably going to move over to Mudkipz, I really like the idea of zombie villagers and that's something I've never seen done before on that tileset. In addition, the screen design is pretty superb. Very good job.

#10 Twilight Knight

Twilight Knight

Tell all with glee, Argon's on PureZC

• Members

Posted 19 January 2015 - 12:59 PM

I voted for Mudkipz. That screen has an excellently spooky vibe. The zombie villagers are really scary and extremely clever of you to make the fog like that. I think I just became fan of your quest.

Joelmacool12 was my second choice. Very creative usage of the Classic tileset, a lot better than most other attempts at "pimping" the Classic look. I feel the flowers are a little out of place though. Perhaps you could limit them to just one color, I'm imagining it would make them more fitting. Then you could make more color variations with 8-bit colors.

Lineas: that screen looks like a fun cutscene and intro to your quest. The animations look a little crude, but perhaps it's because of the GIF and it's different in-game.

Dwarlen: though the overall design of your screens is really good (the mountain layout, tree placement), it looks quite bland with so few ground decorations. The greatest thing (however I think it's a pain to use it) about the DoR 2.0 set is the SD3 grass detail. Look at examples like this screen by Jared on how to use the grass detail. It would really make your screens look twice as good. Otherwise, this screen is really good.

Zahalfor: are you and Dwarlen working on the same quest? There are a few mountain errors and I think you should place a few more details in the sand. I think it's a fine screenshot besides that all.

• Shane, Joelmacool, Binx and 1 other like this

#11 justin

justin

Adept

• Members

Posted 19 January 2015 - 02:03 PM

voted Mudkipz.  good design, and zombies.  i got the impression that the "fog" was less fog, and more about making the screen smaller.  if its fog, i don't get it...  my only other critique would be the different cset that the mountain borders are in - the little offcolor corners don't look good, and its an easy fix.

runner up - joel, i was so close to voting this.  good design and details.

lineas - i really like it, big improvement over the version of this screen that i saw before.  i like where you're going with the tileset.

• Joelmacool and Binx like this

#12 Mudkipz

Mudkipz

Lurking Khajiit

• Members

Posted 19 January 2015 - 02:16 PM

Nulled as I am participating. Not sure who I would vote for though as all the other entrys are really good.

Sorry to burst everyone's bubbles, but I don't think I could do the whole zombie quest justice. Might try one day though and I am rethinking one of the sections of the quest I am making to have something similar (if I can do the theme justice though).

Also, the white around the screen was an attempt at making fog. I haven't had much practice in making it, so I wasn't too sure how it would turn out. The discolouring in those areas was because I used transparency on both layers the fog occupies.

As for whats up with those villagers, I'll leave that up to everyone's imaginations :)

• Binx likes this

#13 SkyLizardGirl

SkyLizardGirl

Unbeknownst to danger we call upon your help

• Banned

Posted 19 January 2015 - 04:46 PM

Nulled as I am participating. Not sure who I would vote for though as all the other entrys are really good.

Sorry to burst everyone's bubbles, but I don't think I could do the whole zombie quest justice. Might try one day though and I am rethinking one of the sections of the quest I am making to have something similar (if I can do the theme justice though).

Also, the white around the screen was an attempt at making fog. I haven't had much practice in making it, so I wasn't too sure how it would turn out. The discolouring in those areas was because I used transparency on both layers the fog occupies.

As for whats up with those villagers, I'll leave that up to everyone's imaginations :)

Try a moving fog or transparent shadows over the village, but leave enough room to see. Or cut the transparent fog in half somehow.

In an over-layer have the top fog moving one way, *Right* the bottom fog moving the opposite direction below *Left* etc.

Edited by SkyLizardGirl, 19 January 2015 - 04:47 PM.

#14 Mudkipz

Mudkipz

Lurking Khajiit

• Members

Posted 19 January 2015 - 05:18 PM

Ok. Will have to keep that in mind. Thanks for the advice! :kawaii:

#15 Zahalfor

Zahalfor

• Members

Posted 19 January 2015 - 05:19 PM

Thanks everyone for the feedback! Mountain tile errors... wonderful  :eyebrow:  haha. Having fun learning how to use the mountains there.

Zahalfor: are you and Dwarlen working on the same quest?

Yes, we are. Though our screenshots this week would be from two different quests. Trying to work out the details to finish quest my screenshot is from. It is coming along well, I think, but no real idea yet when it will be ready for release.

joelmacool12: I like your use of the classic tileset here, looks really nice

Mudkipz: love the design of the screen, though I would like to see the fog line be irregular, would have a more natural look to blend with rest of the screen I think. As it is now, it made me think at first that Link was having a dream :)

As always, great shots everyone and thanks for sharing! :)

• Joelmacool likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Mudkipz, joelmacool12, Dwarlen, Lineas, Zahalfor

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users