Interior Furniture

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Lightwulf

Lightwulf

Master

• Members

Posted 13 August 2011 - 03:21 AM

I recently designed my own furniture for inside my haunted lighthouse and was hoping to get some feedback:

IPB Image IPB Image

What you're looking at is a screen that I made just to show you what I've got so far:

Wardrobe, 3 tiles high, ajar; spider web; wardrobe, 3 tiles high, open; wardrobe,2 tiles high; wardrobe, 3 tiles high, locked; wardrobe, 3 tiles high, unlocked but closed...

Standard table with unlit candle; standard bed, with "overhead" in middle so Link can get in bed; couch, facing south; stuffed armchair, facing south; and armchair, facing north.

1. Did I make the chairs too big or are they fine?
2. Do the wardrobes look fine being 3 tiles high? (I included one 2 tiles high to compare. I made them from the bookcase tiles.)
3. Does the bed look fine with Link able to walk through it (as shown in the second picture)

Any advice would be appreciated.

#2 judasrising

judasrising

I play guitar

• Members

Posted 13 August 2011 - 03:53 AM

QUOTE(Lightwulf @ Aug 13 2011, 10:21 AM) View Post

I recently designed my own furniture for inside my haunted lighthouse and was hoping to get some feedback:

IPB Image IPB Image

What you're looking at is a screen that I made just to show you what I've got so far:

Wardrobe, 3 tiles high, ajar; spider web; wardrobe, 3 tiles high, open; wardrobe,2 tiles high; wardrobe, 3 tiles high, locked; wardrobe, 3 tiles high, unlocked but closed...

Standard table with unlit candle; standard bed, with "overhead" in middle so Link can get in bed; couch, facing south; stuffed armchair, facing south; and armchair, facing north.

1. Did I make the chairs too big or are they fine?
2. Do the wardrobes look fine being 3 tiles high? (I included one 2 tiles high to compare. I made them from the bookcase tiles.)
3. Does the bed look fine with Link able to walk through it (as shown in the second picture)

Any advice would be appreciated.

Hi

I like those wardrobes maybe to high but looking great. I ask you if i could also use those 2 tiles high wardrobes?
Nice work icon_smile.gif

Edited by judasrising, 13 August 2011 - 03:53 AM.

#3 Giggidy

Giggidy

We live for chaos so that we may die for ourselves.

• Banned

Posted 13 August 2011 - 04:56 AM

The sofa and armchairs are fantastic (in isolation anyway). Clean. Easy to look at. A wonderful showcasing of how using less can give you so much more in pixel art. Pat yourself on the back for that one. However, three problems:

1. There isn't enough definition between the sofa cushions. It looks more like a big blue chocolate bar.

2. The wooden legs of the armchairs + sofa are oddly shaped. They're pointing outward and are generally too prominent.

3. Style. While the pieces are great, the problem is they don't match at all, in size, palette, or detail level, with anything else on the screen. This is supposedly a haunted lighthouse, but they look brand new. Furthermore at the current scale with everything else in the room they look like they were made to seat someone who's 12 feet tall. Finally, they're formed of bright colors while everything else on the screen is a dull brown.

My advice? Ditch everything else and redo it all to match the style of the armchairs.

#4 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 13 August 2011 - 06:49 AM

It's not bad, but it doesn't really belong in a LTTP/MC-style perspective. An RPG-style perspective would be more appropriate for housing these types of furniture, particularly the tall pieces. They are perfectly straight, without any skewing for perspective, and that becomes more and more obvious the taller they are.

So anyway, regardless of what else you do, I'd DEFINITELY make the wardrobes shorter. The ceiling of a LTTP house seems to be a little more than 1 1/2 tiles high, if we put it in game terms.

#5 Lightwulf

Lightwulf

Master

• Members

Posted 13 August 2011 - 12:46 PM

That's what I was worried about. I appreciate the feedback.
(Giggidy, I thought that was funny, a chocolate bar! icon_lol.gif I see what you're saying.)

Giggidy, I was planning on adding older detail after I decided on a design for the chair. The blue is from CSet 3 on my level 8 pallette while the gray chair is from CSet 2. That's why they are the colors they are, but I can always add details. (Once my furniture designs are done, I will be adding burn spots because of the fire gleeok that inhabits the place.) But I perfectly understand about the size and scale.
About the legs, though, I could always ditch them and go for the type of chair that just sits on the floor not being elevated.

Radien, you can use the design if you want as long as you give me credit. Thanks!

1. So, should I make the chairs 1 1/2 tiles x 1 1/2 tiles, or should I fit the chair into a single tile? (I'm thinking about the seat as a tile and the arms as 1/2 or 1/4 tiles on the sides.)
1.5. And the couch, would black lines better define the cushions?

2. I suppose I could skew the lines of the 2 x 2 wardrobe, for perspective, but if the bookshelf was fine then maybe I shouldn't. I just wasn't sure if the 2x2 wardrobe was too small. From what Radien's saying, it sounds like it isn't too small, so I'll have to adjust the rest of my tiles. I'm thinking of slightly altering the door pattern so that it's more sectioned because I didn't think a solely vertical pattern looked good. Does it look fine as it is or should I add a paneling pattern like I did the big ones?

3. Any comments about the overhead effect of the bed? I wasn't sure if I should customize the tiles so that the sheets are pulled back or if it looks fine with Link in bed as it is.

Edited by Lightwulf, 14 August 2011 - 05:01 AM.

#6 Lightwulf

Lightwulf

Master

• Members

Posted 14 August 2011 - 05:08 AM

I redesigned the perspective on the chairs in hopes it would match the overhead-view look that the walls have. I made it so that the tiles look the same if they're flipped horizontally. I also redesigned the 3-tile-high wardrobes to fit 2 tiles high. Here are the results:

IPB Image IPB Image
I'm showing two pictures so that you see what it looks like from the different directions (facing north and south).

Looks better?
How does the north-facing chair look with Link sitting in it?

(Still no feedback about how Link looks in the bed from earlier?)

#7 judasrising

judasrising

I play guitar

• Members

Posted 14 August 2011 - 05:17 AM

QUOTE(Lightwulf @ Aug 14 2011, 12:08 PM) View Post

I redesigned the perspective on the chairs in hopes it would match the overhead-view look that the walls have. I made it so that the tiles look the same if they're flipped horizontally. I also redesigned the 3-tile-high wardrobes to fit 2 tiles high. Here are the results:

IPB Image IPB Image
I'm showing two pictures so that you see what it looks like from the different directions (facing north and south).

Looks better?
How does the north-facing chair look with Link sitting in it?

(Still no feedback about how Link looks in the bed from earlier?)

Hi Lightwulf

Could i use those wardrobes in my quest?

It really looking nice.

#8 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 14 August 2011 - 05:46 AM

Judasrising is right, you made some new cool tiles! I like the wardrobes. The couch looks wrong somehow, but the chairs are good. And the walkthrough bed is ok, I've seen it in other quests too.

#9 Lightwulf

Lightwulf

Master

• Members

Posted 15 August 2011 - 12:00 PM

Thanks for the comments!

Judasrising, yes you can use them as long as you give me credit.

QUOTE(Avataro @ Aug 14 2011, 05:46 AM) View Post

The couch looks wrong somehow, but the chairs are good.

The couch is based off of the chair but uses different middle tiles. Maybe I should make the cushions shorter? Maybe the transition between cushions needs work?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users