Photo

Screenshot of the Week 664

Shane Shoshon the Elegant Lüt

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

Poll: Screenshot of the Week 664 (44 member(s) have cast votes)

Cast your vote!

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 04 June 2018 - 12:15 AM

Shane
Shane.png
Something I worked on. ;o

Shoshon the Elegant
Shoshon%20the%20Elegant.png
Here we see the mighty druid and his harpy companions preying on our hero in the ruined Polemos Village.

Lüt
Lut.png
Quantifiable cowardice.

#2 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 04 June 2018 - 12:23 AM

Shane has some neat custom tile work underway here. Voted. (perspective error where the trees of the top and left are all on the same ground plane even though the mountain wall indicates one is higher than the other)

Shoshon - The enemy above the green hookshot grab is very low contrast, making him look almost one color and hard to read the details. Is the house cracked, or...?

Lut - Sorry, this feels pretty clashy.

• Shane likes this

#3 coolgamer012345

coolgamer012345

🔸

• Members

Posted 04 June 2018 - 12:50 AM

Shane: The custom graphics look good (especially the trees, mountains, and bushes), the colors are vibrant, and overall the use of decoration looks good. My only concerns are that the bottom left of the screen doesn't lead you very much through there, so you could easily just zip through the screen without much thought, and that the palette being so yellow could be a strain on the eyes. 

Shoshon: I'm not sure what that object is in the center-left of the screen. It looks kind of like a brain. The browner trees have a few green pixels that look like grass even though the trees are on dirt. Traversing on the right half of the screen looks very cramped, notably in the bottom right of the dirt. I'm not a big fan of the screen design or custom sprites (except for the skeleton, I think having the enemy be hard to see might be interesting), but I think it's passable and I can appreciate the effort that went into them at least.

Lut: I agree that there's style clash, although that's kind of inherent with DoR. The palette looks muddy and boring, with the brown just being generic looking, and the grass overly bright. The white/silvery highlights on everything that has them doesn't look very good (possibly excluding the tall grass), and would look better if the respective objects had a highlight that was the same color but brighter as the rest of the tile. The bush second bush from the right in the top-right quarter of the screen looks especially out of place, and I would suggest replacing it completely. Some of the flowers on the flower-bushes being green looks odd, so I would also suggest using a different color for those. There's a lot going on with the screen, so it would also help to choose only one or two bush types and stick with them. Flow-wise, I think the screen is good, if not a bit cramped. It would help to move the house up a tile, though it works where it is. This is a bit silly but I will say that the red in this palette looks pretty good. I also like how the path goes from the stairs to the building entrance. Considering how most of the screen is dirt, I think it would be a good idea to put/move some of the flowers/bushes to the grassy patch as a sort of garden. I like it, though I would definitely like it more with the aforementioned improvements.

Lut's has the best flow, leading you through most of the screen well. Shoshon's uses the classic mountains well and uses tall grass for decoration the best. Shane's has the prettiest graphics, with a really nice palette to boot, and the flow of the screen does work well enough. My vote falls on Shane.

• Shane likes this

#4 Architect Abdiel

Architect Abdiel

Kingdom Builder

• Members

Posted 04 June 2018 - 05:49 AM

If anyone can make me a better classic style harpy, be my guest. That was the most annoying sprite to make this entire quest.

Also, I didn't think much of the green dots. I can edit those spots to be transparent in the editor.

The house is cracked. This village is meant to be destroyed.

Edited by Shoshon the Elegant, 04 June 2018 - 05:54 AM.

#5 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 04 June 2018 - 06:43 AM

Shane - Really nice set of custom tiles here, everything looks really well put together. I don't have any personal critiques with this one.

Shoshon - Pretty good custom tiles here too, I do agree about the random green pixels on the tree (though you're very aware of it), and the skeleton enemy above the cactus as well, but everything else is looking fairly solid.

Lut - It looks decent, but I would personally suggest to maybe darken the green in the grass, and probably to add a bit more ground detail in the mountainous areas to the north. I would also try to maybe vary the mountains at the bottom of the screen instead of it being a straight line (if possible).

I voted for Shane this week.

• Shane likes this

#6 Dark Ice Dragon

Dark Ice Dragon

Wizard

• Members

Posted 04 June 2018 - 04:22 PM

I voted for lüt, in this case i liked the clash,  i don' think that the clash is ALWAYS negative

Shane : i liked it, i hope to see that game ready soon

Shoshon : maybe is just my eyes, but the house seem a bit trasparent, anyway  half-destroyed house is a good idea, even if that kind of cracks are more fit for a stone house,

Nice the stalfos, for the harpy...i guess is hard make it well, maybe if you start from the sprite of 1 of your  npc you may transform a woman in a hapy

#7 Architect Abdiel

Architect Abdiel

Kingdom Builder

• Members

Posted 04 June 2018 - 06:23 PM

That's an interesting. Perhaps I'll give that a shot later.

#8 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 10 June 2018 - 11:42 PM

With 68.29% of the vote, the winner of Screenshot of the Week 664 is Shane!

Shane.png
Something I worked on. ;o

Congrats!!

Voting totals:
- Shane - 28 votes [68.29%]
- Shoshon the Elegant - 3 votes [7.32%]
- Lüt - 10 votes [24.39%]

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Shane, Shoshon the Elegant, Lüt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users