Official "What video games are you playing right now?" topic

• Please log in to reply
4811 replies to this topic

#4696 klop422

klop422

Guess I'm full of monsters and treasure

• Members

Posted 27 August 2019 - 06:10 PM

So I finally got a Switch. Got it used, with three games: Let's Go Eevee, Breath of the Wild, and Rayman Legends. Haven't started on Rayman yet, but damn the other two are fun.

I mean, Let's Go is (as I'm sure everyone knows) much more casual than the rest of the series, and it's symptomatic of a ton of problems the series has been having, but still, I'm enjoying it a lot. Not sure what to say, really, except my team's shaping up decently well, and the fact that I can almost certainly actually complete a Pokédex for once is really exciting me.

And Breath of the Wild? I don't even know what to say - I'm sure it's all been said before.

All in all, having a ton of fun.

• nicklegends likes this

#4697 peteandwally

peteandwally

chiubicabachiukicaca

• Members

Posted 28 August 2019 - 11:09 AM

But have you ridden a Bear yet?

#4698 Titanium Justice

Titanium Justice

Justice is served!

• Members

Posted 10 November 2019 - 04:35 PM

So sometime last month I finally caved in and bought a Nintendo Switch along with Breath of the Wild. I don't know if there's anything I can say about it that hasn't been said already. It is simply amazing. Other than that, I've been chipping away at the chalice dungeons in Bloodborne and every now and then I've been playing Super Mario Galaxy 2 on a Wii that I got super cheap from a thrift store last year.

• ShadowTiger and nicklegends like this

#4699 Daniel

Daniel

v My Godess

• Members

Posted 30 November 2019 - 11:06 PM

I'm currently playing Pokemon Sword.

I won't bother going over what I don't like about it as the lack of a national dex is well known at this point. 

But the wild area is great, you can easily sink hours upon hours there and forget about the main story. It is a bit more dull if you're not connected to the internet but still very much good. The difficulty level isn't too high which for a casual player such as myself is no big deal, but I can see why it would bother others. The graphics are amazing in parts and in others you can see the developers got lazy. 

One minor complaint is the routes between towns really aren't very big, probably about the same as transversing on the 3DS titles. I feel in a console game they could have greatly expanded it. But this is GameFreaks first big step putting a core game into a console so I hope the next titles are expanded and they take the criticism to heart. 

Worth $60 in my opinion though.

• Anthus likes this

#4700 Titanium Justice

Titanium Justice

Justice is served!

• Members

Posted 30 November 2019 - 11:24 PM

Just now I finished playing Folklore on the PS3. Played this because I kept hearing people saying that it's an underrated gem, and they were not wrong. This is quite possibly one of the best exclusives on the console. I recommended it for anyone who likes action RPGs and games with monster catching mechanics.

Currently playing Medievil on PS4; a remake of one of my childhood games from the PS1. There's been this, Crash, and Spyro among recent titles to receive the remake treatment, and FF7 is on its way. Really feels like the 90's again.

Edited by Titanium Justice, 30 November 2019 - 11:25 PM.

• Daniel and Dark Ice Dragon like this

#4701 kurt91

kurt91

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 02 December 2019 - 01:04 AM

Finally got around to trying the Crash N.Sane Trilogy, after watching raocow's ongoing LP of the second game (he's playing the PSX version, though). Tried playing it in my VR headset using a program called VorpX. Terrible, terrible idea! While the program works amazingly for games like Fallout: New Vegas, and especially Portal 2, it's got a few problems with this game. Imagine two 3D videos in front of you. The level terrain is rendered beautifully at a comfortable distance. The enemies, crates, and Crash/Coco are rendered beautifully in 3D, but they're placed much closer to you, with their models placed up/down and left/right to try and make them look like they're on the platform they're supposed to be on, instead of moving them closer to the terrain layer you can see. Now, on top of all that, imagine the visual confusion when something in the terrain layer, such as falling leaves or a pillar you move past, is supposed to be in front of your character and hiding part of their body. The layering issues make it impossible to tell where you're going to land when you jump, and makes it insanely difficult to tell when an enemy or obstacle is going to hit you, on top of the headaches from the weird layering going on. Like I said, looks beautiful,though.

Also have been setting up a working New Vegas mod playthrough. Usually, I'll play it using Tale of Two Wastelands, but there's so many incompatible mods that I decided to ditch TTW after finally playing the parts of FO3 that I've never played before (Mothership Zeta, mainly), since I've never been able to get FO3 to run on my PC. Considering I've never played modded New Vegas without using TTW, this will be pretty interesting. Not sure if I want to use my VR headset, because you get some weird issues when entering a menu or talking to somebody. (This locks the camera, so you have to press a button to let you move your head and see things like dialogue choices without moving the "screen" in front of you. However, if you forget to look straight forward when you're ready to go back to normal gameplay, the world will slant when you do look forward, and you get disoriented for a second while you use the right Control Stick to fix the camera.) VR would make the general gameplay look nicer, but it's easier to get the game going if you go without VR, and VR prevents you from using ENB to improve the lighting.

Both of these games are on my main PC, which I didn't have access to during Thanksgiving break since I usually live at a college dorm, and went home for the holiday. At home, I finished wrapping up the extra stuff on Kingdom Hearts 3. I got the last of the Lucky Emblems, I maxed out at Level 99, and finished the last of the Photo Missions. I already had Ultima Weapon, so I went to fight the post-game boss. When I tried the fight before, I got absolutely destroyed, and could only get to the second half of the fight on my best run. This time, I got my best equipment, stocked fully on Elixirs, and found that my prep-work was absolute overkill.

In Kingdom Hearts 2, you can do all the same levels of prepping that I did, and you'll still get destroyed by the hidden bosses, especially the Data rematches against Organization XIII. I still haven't managed to beat any of them. In KH3, there's only one hidden boss, and I was so overpowered that his attacks didn't even register damage. I went from having to learn the exact timing during the boss's combo attacks to switch from blocking to dodging and finally slipping in attacks of my own, to just charging in Leroy Jenkins style and beating his face in. I finished the fight without even having to heal once, let alone using any of the items I brought with me.

Now I've got nothing to do with the game until the DLC comes out and I can start my Critical Mode run. It's supposed to be much more difficult, and a lot of my prep-work was for importing my current save into the New Game Plus file. (I think it's just Keyblades, though. I did fully upgrade all of them) I'm not masochistic enough to attempt a Lv. 1 playthrough, but I do want the game to actually have some bite to it, and maybe the DLC will include some additional boss fights. (I doubt it, but I'd love to see tournaments come back, whether through the Colosseum or, since Olympus is used as a normal level, the Mirage Arena. Hell, the Mirage Arena would work perfectly since Aqua could be the one to reveal it to Sora. She's been there before in Birth by Sleep, even!)

• ShadowTiger likes this

#4702 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 04 December 2019 - 07:11 AM

I really need to try Tale of Two Wastelands, I've been meaning to for a fair while now but have been distracted by other stuff.

#4703 kurt91

kurt91

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 04 December 2019 - 03:15 PM

TTW is kind of odd in that even though it's just a mod for New Vegas, you really need to think of it as its own game if you're going to add more mods on top of it. The main developer got so into fixing bugs and issues with the original game that he broke quite a few mods in the process. For instance, the way that all of the guns are modeled and textures got a complete overhaul and now mods like WMX that add more weapon mods are broken. None of the character overhauls work anymore since he changed how faces are loaded as well.

TTW 3.2 does add a lot of fixes and improvements, but there aren't nearly as many mods as the older 2.9.4, and he completely removed all traces of the older version and all of the mods made for it on the TTW site in an attempt to prevent newcomers from mixing up mods for different versions and flooding the site forums with complaints and questions. I can understand his reasoning, but I don't think he should have done it since he broke so many things with the gun and character changes. On top of that, he's completely vanished and dropped working on it due to issues in his personal life. He's supposedly sent the master files for the next major update to another developer who was supposed to wrap things up and release it, but that was a while ago and nothing's turned up. (I think that the claim was that the installer needed to be updated for the new version, but it's been a really long time for something like that to be done.)

As it is right now, the FO3 side feels a little neglected. It's understandable since it's a lot of work to convert an FO3 mod to a TTW mod, but I really wish that people would focus on converting older 2.9.4 mods to 3.2. I'm probably mistaken, but I would assume that it would be a much easier starting point, and it's another reason why I think that removing all of the 2.9.4 stuff was a bad idea.

On the bright side, there's a pretty good list of all the 3.2 TTW mods on their site, another list of recommended New Vegas mods that work with TTW, as well as a list of mods confirmed to break things. Also, nearly anything that only touches the Mojave itself is compatible (which really emphasizes being seemingly stuck with a near-vanilla FO3 half.) Also, there's a recent mod that came out that's absolutely amazing and seamlessly alters dialogue between both games so you can reference events and locations in one game when talking to relevant people in the other game.

• ShadowTiger likes this

#4704 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 09 December 2019 - 01:56 PM

On a very Fallout related tangent, I'm replaying Fallout 2! I got the High Resolution version from GOG.

Oh man, I missed it dearly. I don't have that much time to play, so I jacked up all of my stats using that Fallout 2 character editor, "FALCHE" just to have 999 HP and damage resistance and all that. I also have 999 carrying capacity but I fill it so very quickly. :tard:

I am probably the biggest kleptomaniac ever. I have inspected the pocket of or stolen from literally every NPC. I got most of my caps from the slot machine in Redding where the Sheriff is. I cleaned 'em all out lickety split.

What bugs me is that I have 300 Pickpocket and Stealth, and I'm in leather armor (The one given to you when you rescue Jonny from the Ghost Farm.) but I still can't steal 100% of the time. It's really weird, though... in concept, a sledgehammer should be a ton harder to steal than two caps, but I get caught with equal chance for both. Most of the dark-skinned NPCs in Redding all carry around a regular sledgehammer for some reason, and now I have so many I can make a necklace out of them. But I steal two caps from a passing hobo and suddenly he's feelsie-mcgee, detective extraordinaire.

There's this one NPC in the Den that really enjoys standing perfectly still in the doorway of that food bar in the southeast slavers area. ("Mama" I think.) No matter what I do, I can't get him to move. You can't shove him via a right-click action like you can with your party members. I slept outside for an entire month and he was still standing there in the doorway when I got back.

So I did what any warm-blooded 23rd century American would do and pickpocketed him. Repeatedly. I passed an iguana on a stick between his pockets and mine a few times before he eventually noticed it and fled for his very life from my dramatically overpowered character - running about three feet to the right before stopping and looking at a garbage can.

I was then free to wander into the bar and pick up some quests. The hobo NPC then moved back into the doorway. I walked up to him and waited for a moment, and then combat began and he fled back to the garbage can and stood there.

That'll do. :slycool:

#4705 kurt91

kurt91

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 11 December 2019 - 10:59 PM

That reminds me, I bought Fallout 1 and 2 a little while back when they were on sale. I kept hearing good things about the games, but had never gotten around to playing them.

I remember I started a game a while back to kill time while between classes at college, but then never came back to it for some reason. It wasn't not liking the game, although I did need to have GameFAQs open on my phone so I could look up how to do things. Either the game doesn't come with a manual/directions, or I was dumb and didn't see it.

I tried setting up something called "Fallout Fixt", which looked like it was supposed to be some sort of in-depth bug-fix and content-restoration patch. It ended up making it so that the game didn't start at all, so I had to delete everything and reinstall the game from scratch. I think the furthest I got was getting ready to rescue the one Shady Sands girl from Raiders, which if I remember correctly, she's the one who goes on to start the NCR.

Well, I'm probably going to be away from my desktop PC during Winter Break, so I guess I'll get back into this game since I have it on my laptop. I'll probably be swapping between this, World of Final Fantasy on PS4, and finishing up Pokemon FireRed so I can start working on porting my team over to Platinum and keep going. (I'm using a mod that doesn't do anything beyond combine the catch lists from FireRed + LeafGreen, so I have a bit of an easier time filling in the blanks in my collection before I move on. I'm hoping there's an equivalent for the later Generations. I don't have anybody to trade with, and I really don't feel like doing two runs of the same game. I'm already doing that when I hit each remake now.)

#4706 Titanium Justice

Titanium Justice

Justice is served!

• Members

Posted 22 December 2019 - 09:55 PM

Playing Darksiders III, which I got for free on Playstation Plus. Wasn't sure what to think of it when I first started playing it, especially since most people say it's not as good as the first two, but I'm starting to warm up to it.
I know the whole Soulslike comparison is kinda redundant, but this really does feel like they took inspiration from Dark Souls and it's especially evident with the boss fights.
  • nicklegends likes this

#4707 nicklegends

nicklegends

Trofessional Pransposer

• Contributors
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 01 January 2020 - 09:05 PM

I've been switching between a few games lately, but recently I've been trying to get my Richter into Elite Smash in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. I keep getting within 100,000 GSP but can't quite pass the threshold yet. It's only a matter of time (and luck).

Meanwhile, I'm also trying to conquer Maddening difficulty on Fire Emblem: Three Houses. I usually suck at Fire Emblem games, but I found Hard too easy and am trying to push myself past a tough hurdle now as a matter of pride. The difficulty seems wildly inconsistent, but I haven't hit a dead end yet.

After finishing Maddening difficulty, I might try out the new Luigi's Mansion game that I've been eyeing for a while. My roommates are interested as well, so maybe we'll play it together.

#4708 kurt91

kurt91

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 14 January 2020 - 06:27 AM

I tried to update the drivers for my NVIDIA video card. They wouldn't install, nor would the "GeForce Experience" program. So, I looked up a way to fix the issue, and the main recommendation was to completely remove my video drivers so I could do a clean install. After doing that, the new drivers still wouldn't install. Now I had no new drivers and my existing drivers was gone. I look at the backup video driver that comes with Windows, and it's apparently broken as well and can't be fixed.

The only thing left that I could do was completely reset my Windows installation. This kept all of my files saved, but I lost all of the apps and programs. I end up going through and re-installing everything, starting with what I used most frequently. It turns out that nearly everything with a custom install location was still there, and since I kept Steam installed outside of "Program Files", I got to keep my installed games.

Then, I got to installing Vortex, a mod manager for numerous games including the Fallout and Elder Scrolls games. It installed, but said that I didn't have any mods. I look into it, and apparently all of my mod files were confused for programs and were all nuked. I had a pretty decent modded playthrough of New Vegas going, and since all of my mods are now gone, I have to completely rebuild the game and start all over...

I don't suppose anybody has some good recommendations? I'm not going with a TTW install again, so I won't be limited to only what's compatible it that one.

#4709 klop422

klop422

Guess I'm full of monsters and treasure

• Members

Posted 25 January 2020 - 04:53 PM

So I just beat Final Fantasy 9 (the Switch port) and, I just wanna say I loved it. Story and Gameplay were, for the most part, fantastic, and the music was brilliant.

Spoilers for the game, btw:

Spoiler

Also, I started FF6 last week. Never played it before, am doing so now, at a rate of about an hour a day when I'm done with uni work. I did the famous Opera Scene a couple days ago. So far it's pretty great, but I guess I'll see if it lives up to the hype as I keep going.

#4710 Titanium Justice

Titanium Justice

Justice is served!

• Members

Posted 30 January 2020 - 02:57 PM

Beat Resident Evil 2 remake recently, which means I've now played 2 (remake), 4, 5, and 7 in the main Resident Evil series. Remake of 2 may have been the best one yet in my opinion. It combines the oldschool horror game structure of backtracking with the third-person gameplay of Res4. It seems like the best of both worlds.
Since Resident Evil 3 remake is following the same trend, I assume it could be just as good if not better.

I'm currently playing some of Resident Evil 6 on Steam just because I have it and just for the heck of seeing whether or not it's any good. So far it doesn't seem particularly terrible, but it doesn't seem great either. I can see why it's the lowest rated in the main series.

Also been playing Insomniac's Spiderman, which has been really fun so far. Reminds me of the Spiderman 2 game from PS2.

Other games I've been occasionally chipping away at are Lost Odyssey on the 360, Resistance on the Ps3, and Tomb Raider II on Steam (cant believe I've gone back to this myself. Thought it would be one of those games that doesn't age well. I mean, it doesn't, but I have a certain guilty nostalgia for it and find that it's still fun for some reason).

Edited by Titanium Justice, 30 January 2020 - 02:58 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users