Photo

Need testers for Dreams of Yesterday 2013.

• Please log in to reply
1041 replies to this topic

#1 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:00 PM

First of all, Here's the latest version's download link. The current version of ZC it's for is ZC 2.5.3 Release 2. - As of July 20th 2020.

Now on to the actual thread.

'lo all. As some of you may know, I've long-since taken it (by force, apparently) upon myself to fix all of the bugs and inconsistencies in C-Dawg's epic "Dreams of Yesterday," due to it being nigh unplayable in spots.

My current testing crew consists entirely of volunteers lending their time and patience to the cause, to which I am extremely grateful. pixcalibur, Zenith, (ESPECIALLY those two for more bugs reported than is humanly possible. O_O ) chiefbigcalf, vravelo, Joe, Reimu Hakurei, Artistic, FerentzRocks, demonlink14, and some others, have all been playing and testing and reporting bugs whilst doing so. jman2050 took up the cause a longer time ago, though for a somewhat shorter duration.

So if anyone is interested in an interesting and unique opportunity to test the quest out from start to finish, I would be much obliged. :D All bugs should be presented with a screenshot. I'm no good at identifying areas by word alone. The possibility of a cheat code or quest password depends on the diligence of the tester. I already gave it out to one person, and I'm not hesitant to do it again.

Screenshots: (Many taken from a new game just to show off areas. They're not from linear gameplay.)

(Note: As of September 2013, some elements of these screenshots are slightly out of date. But that's irrelevant.)

Yes screenshots. A bunch.

What to test for:
Game-stopping bugs.
Warps not working,
Warp arrival points leading you to awkward places that might warp you back out,
Pits that drop you into a similarly awkward place that you can't necessarily leave from,
Secret combos turning into something else that they shouldn't.
Not being able to walk up or down certain stairs as a screen transition.
etc.

Logistics & Transitional elements - The path that one takes through areas. I need to spend more time in ZQuest than in ZC to get these bugs fixed. You guys get to skip the nitty-gritty and can actually play the friggin thing. You have more experience running through each area, seeing what works and what doesn't. I just need to make it work. Plotting routes is one such necessity of this endeavor. pixcalibur worked with me for weeks getting the Deku Tree to flow without any bugs, and I owe him my first-born son at this rate because of it and its complexity.
--Visual bugs.
Undercombo bugs. I'm sure there are plenty. Even ones where it's dirt not grass. Anything. I'll fix it. :shrug:
Screen transition misalignments. A cliff bottom tile meant for a grass transition standing in water, a'la the GameBoy games with their cliffs, and corners of houses. You know what I mean. That was everywhere in those games.
Spelling errors. I'm not sure if there are any left.
Ways you can think of to incorporate 2.5 features into the quest. This includes new optional nightmare areas.

---------------------------------------------

Here's a list of areas that I'm planning on creating, or are already doing so.
(A Nightmare area) Billowing Banes - This is an ambitious new area north of Lon Lon Heights. There is a constant easterly wind blowing. Expect the difficulty to be significantly higher than that found in the 'Heights. I mean we're talking the equivalent of going from a level 8 area to a level 46 area. For comparison, the second dream crystal dungeon would be the equivalent of a level 17. Just making up numbers here. Anyway, beyond the Banes, well to the north, living inside of a windmill is an old man haunted by nightmares about death himself. Expect pain. This area is not for newbies. At all. It's late-game content.
The Dojo, in Capital Port - Blow up a rock with a super bomb, and you'll be able to enter an area that teaches you slash, and other useful skills. Bring money.
A new dungeon in central northern Hyrule Overworld, just east of the Lost Hills. Go all the way west from the Farmer's field to find. It's a miser's grave. You'll need a superbomb, the red candle, the hammer, and ladder to get the prize.
The world-linking mines. There are 5 very hidden entrances to a secret area. Four entrances unlock the path that the fifth entrance leads to. An incredible treasure lies within.

-------------------------------------------

Just for a bit of help, here's the locations of all of the Relic Stones in the game:

Spoiler

---------------

I made a few maps of some areas of the game! They include keys and boss keys. They flash for ease of visibility. Other maps don't have flashing keys because I was probably lazy or didn't know I could do that at the time.

Marathon - Mines map

Train Station - Crypts

How to find the boss key in the Crypt - Excavation Bottom Floor

---------------

And now for the "order" of the game, in case you get stuck. Note that I am doing this from memory and on a "spur of the moment" sort of deal, so take this with a salty grain of salt.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Here's a list of the musical tracks and their sources.  Major credit to hiryu64 for doing the leg-work of assembling it.  This is from post 1,029 in this thread.

Music Listing (potential spoilers)

• Umbra likes this

#2 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:50 PM

I would like to apply for this. I have been wanting to get back into testing games again. I'm good at taking screenshots, and writing wordy descriptions of what is going on in them. icon_smile.gif

Thank you for your consideration.

Not to mention, I never beat the original release cause I got stuck or something. I think what really happened was I just had no idea where to go >.>

What's the nature of the changes made in this quest? Is it just fixing typos, and little bugs and stuff, or is it more of an overhaul entirely?

#3 Artistic

Artistic

Warrior

• Members

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:22 PM

Hi! icon_smile.gif

I would like you to consider me to be one of your beta testers. Dreams of Yesterday is a great quest. I really enjoyed playing it before. I've been know to find a bug or two in quests. icon_smile.gif

Thank you! icon_smile.gif

#4 Mister Snooze

Mister Snooze

Paladin

• Members

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:47 PM

edit, my apologies

Edited by Mister Snooze, 26 January 2013 - 02:57 PM.

#5 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 26 January 2013 - 03:11 PM

QUOTE(Anthus @ Jan 26 2013, 01:50 PM) View Post

I would like to apply for this. I have been wanting to get back into testing games again. I'm good at taking screenshots, and writing wordy descriptions of what is going on in them. icon_smile.gif

Thank you for your consideration.
Not to mention, I never beat the original release cause I got stuck or something. I think what really happened was I just had no idea where to go >.>

What's the nature of the changes made in this quest? Is it just fixing typos, and little bugs and stuff, or is it more of an overhaul entirely?
(Respectively) That's great. I was the same way when testing Sabotage Dragoon, also by C-Dawg. He never finished it before getting married, or starting ZODIAC, but whatever. Well, now, I do believe it actually is fully playable from start to finish. I should work on getting some more hint mechanics into the game. Though whenever you finish a dungeon and get a Dream Crystal, some masked guy appears and tells you where to go.

The areas that have been affected, ... well, ... I'm not about to completely change something that already exists, of course, but there were some areas that needed something extra to really make it work. The area where you assemble the Dream Crystals to pass by an obstacle in the Deku Jungle had to be refitted to match with 2.5's new quirks, the Deku Tree was optimized, with pixcalibur's expert help, (I can't even begin to tell you how amazing he is to help so much. Seriously. All my thanks go to him now and forever.) and new areas are being worked on, albeit slowly. I tend to work at a snail's pace, though bugs get fixed pretty darn fast.

But yeah, lots of 2.5 features were used. The subscreen was heavily modified, and some specialized subscreens were put into play, like in the Twilight Gardens to accommodate for the two Medallions. I had to resort to using a script to solve that annoying Pedestal problem. If you don't know what I'm talking about, good. Better you not suffer as I have. > >. hahaha...

QUOTE(Artistic @ Jan 26 2013, 02:22 PM) View Post

Hi! icon_smile.gif

I would like you to consider me to be one of your beta testers. Dreams of Yesterday is a great quest. I really enjoyed playing it before. I've been know to find a bug or two in quests. icon_smile.gif

Thank you! icon_smile.gif

Oh hi again! icon_biggrin.gif Yes, of course! Absolutely. You already provided many extremely useful bug-reports, and the last thing I would ever dream of is to deny a powerful force of diligence and tenacity another opportunity to get down in the nitty-gritty of it. ^_^ Thank you! Very much! icon_biggrin.gif

#6 Demonlink

Demonlink

Lurking in the shadows...

• Members

Posted 26 January 2013 - 04:28 PM

Sign me up for this! I am willing to beta test this if you'd like! icon_biggrin.gif Just a question, how often would you like to receive bug reports on this? icon_unsettled.gif

IPB Image

Edited by demonlink14, 26 January 2013 - 04:29 PM.

#7 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 26 January 2013 - 04:36 PM

Whenever you find some. icon_shrug.gif If you have more than one, submit more than one. If you only find one in the span of a day, then please don't forget to send me that one bug. icon_smile.gif I do fix them very quickly, oddly enough, apparently, and can get a new version out just as fast. It's the same link, after all.

Okay, adding. Thanks for extending yourself. icon_smile.gif

#8 MeleeWizard

MeleeWizard

Best of both worlds.

• Members

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:21 PM

Just the fact that this thread exists makes me concerned. Would this be considered a natural response or is it just me being weird?

#9 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:52 PM

Heh. DoY is actually fully playable. It's the little things that get to me. I mean, believe me, you have absolutely no idea how bug-ridden this quest was way back in the day. No jab to C-Dawg or anything, whose brilliant mind came up with this fantastic piece of work way back when things like this quest, much less its mechanics, were the dreams of madmen and the godly alike and absolutely nothing more, but it's nigh impossible to bug-check a quest this massive. It also had to make a rough transition from the very early days of ZC to the very modern days, where the innermost workings have shifted.

So I'm not surprised that there are bugs of all varieties in the quest. People here have played through it from start to finish, even recently, and we're all working as fast as we can to ensure there are no snafoos anywhere detectable.

Your play-throughs are safe, and can be enjoyed by everyone. icon_smile.gif

Though in case you're wondering, yes, I have fixed a few bugs that you've presented on video. icon_blah.gif

#10 pixcalibur

pixcalibur

Warrior

• Members

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:28 PM

I'll test it out a bit. Using ZC 2.5 Final version

#11 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:47 PM

You're funny.

Gotcha, thanks again. *adds*

#12 Artistic

Artistic

Warrior

• Members

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:24 PM

Hi!

I've got through Mushroom Hideout and Error's Mansion. Haven't found any game stopping bugs. Just some observations some of them probably not even worth mentioning. I don't know if there is anything you can do to change them. Here it goes.

In the Mushroom Hideout, places where you can bomb on the walls have a light blue/light gray markings. I'm on the walkway by the entrance. It shows the light blue/light gray markings there on the left there isn't any reason for it to be there. You can't bomb there or bomb on the bottom floor either.
IPB Image

-------------------------------------------------------

This room is to the right of the entrance in the Mushroom Hideout . It shows the light blue/ light gray markings on the bottom wall. I had bombed that wall all ready and for a split second I had thought I hadn't and then remembered that is how it was before when I played this. My point is that if someone that hasn't played it might go back to try and find that spot and then find it bombed all ready might get confused. I remembered that is what I did when I first played it and it was a little confusing. Is there anyway it can be shown that it had been bombed when your up on the walkway?
IPB Image

On the sub-screen in both the Mushroom Hideout and Error's Mansion they names are doubled. Is it suppose to be look that?
IPB Image

IPB Image

Should the undercombos here look like the floor tiles? I think there is one more block in there to push with the same undercombo.
IPB Image

Are we suppose to be able to walk on the water in these two spots. In both pictures it is the whole bottom line of water.
IPB Image

IPB Image

Should the undercombo under this flower be all green with a brown stomp?
IPB Image

The rock ledge above and to the right of the dead tree looks odd. Shouldn't look like the ones to the left of it?
IPB Image

The rock ledge above and to the right of the Link looks looks like it doesn't go there. Shouldn't look like the ones to the left of it?
IPB Image

The corner above Link doesn't look right at all.
IPB Image

I don't know if there is anything you can do about the graphics in the last 3 pictures. I don't know anything about the tile set if there are tiles that would work in those spots to make them look better.

If any or some or even all of these are not what your looking for, please tell me. icon_smile.gif

#13 -DuCkTApE-

-DuCkTApE-

The "Mask" will take over...

• Members

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:50 PM

I would love to test! Im using the final version of 2.5

#14 Artistic

Artistic

Warrior

• Members

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:46 AM

Hi!

Finished the Dam. Didn't find any bugs or problems. You'll be surprise what you forget. icon_lol.gif It is almost like playing the first time.

All the water warps work in Lake Hyllia. This one is square. The other ones look right.
IPB Image

#15 Jubbz

Jubbz

Balls Deep

• Members

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:40 PM

Will this quest be using any custom sound effects? >.>

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users