Contest

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#16 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 07 January 2018 - 07:47 PM

Figuring out how to set up a monochrome palette like that is something I really struggle with.
However, I guess I can just submit loose tiles in 4-color (maybe 6 or 8 ), and not have to worry about figuring out the palette structure.

Edited by Cukeman, 07 January 2018 - 07:48 PM.

#17 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 08 January 2018 - 04:12 AM

Figuring out how to set up a monochrome palette like that is something I really struggle with.
However, I guess I can just submit loose tiles in 4-color (maybe 6 or 8 ), and not have to worry about figuring out the palette structure.

That's why I added Graphics->Greyscale() to ZScript. :D

Did you mean, a NES style palette?

We're probably going to work on packaging a few base gfx sets, so that people can submit loose tiles in a style that we're convinced will work.

#18 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 08 January 2018 - 04:27 AM

I'll just make some tiles and see if they're something people want I guess

• Lightwulf likes this

#19 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 09 January 2018 - 07:25 AM

So here's the proposed palette and style for a parchment-and-ink-map inspired Tolkien-esque tileset.

I made some trees, hills and a Darknut replacement sprite:

nyxopz.jpg

If there's interest I'll start a thread with some design guidelines and with any luck maybe a few other people can help create sprites and tiles for this. I'm willing to make more, but it will take time, and I don't know that I can do the whole thing. Next thing I'd like to work on is more tree variety and some mountains and water.

Sooo, let me know what you think of this proposal.

• Anthus and Lightwulf like this

#20 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 09 January 2018 - 10:35 PM

So here's the proposed palette and style for a parchment-and-ink-map inspired Tolkien-esque tileset.

I made some trees, hills and a Darknut replacement sprite:

nyxopz.jpg

If there's interest I'll start a thread with some design guidelines and with any luck maybe a few other people can help create sprites and tiles for this. I'm willing to make more, but it will take time, and I don't know that I can do the whole thing. Next thing I'd like to work on is more tree variety and some mountains and water.

Sooo, let me know what you think of this proposal.

Do you mean a style based on the Middle-Earth paper maps? I would absolutely love to see that happen.

I had once considered making a Middle-Earth quest, as two or three people here likely know, so, I would use it, if naught else. I might expand it, too.

I've attempted some maps in that style in the past. The last, was something that I started in Corel, using a Wacom pen tablet.

Spoiler

It's rough, and unfinished. As I recall, I was flooded with work at the time, and I paused all of that hobby stuff, to focus on it; and thus, this became something in my 'to finish later' pile. That was... 13-14 years ago? (Around the time that ZC 2.10 was released.)

• Cukeman and Lightwulf like this

#21 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 10 January 2018 - 01:27 AM

Yeah that's the idea, and neat image! I use Corel and Wacom tablets too (for art homework). I've got a new tablet which I really like, it lets you draw with real pen/pencil on paper and does a 98% accurate job putting it onscreen (sometimes I draw part of a line without enough pressure/too fast, but that's super minor). Sure beats the feel of plastic nib on plastic surface. I like the new tablet because it's 1:1, which really helps with curves. Only downside is it's a little small (less than 8.5 x 11).

Edited by Cukeman, 10 January 2018 - 01:45 AM.

#22 P-Tux7

P-Tux7

💛

• Members

Posted 21 January 2018 - 10:18 PM

After OpenZC is completed, maybe we could ban quests that are discovered to use copyrighted assets without permission (either specifically asked-for permission or blanket fan game permission as with SEGA) so that we don't support and showcase copyright infringement. It seems that almost all the quests (not good or bad quests, just quests) use Nintendo assets and characters against the company's will. It just doesn't seem right to make a love letter to a company but then disrespect their wishes, you know?

#23 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 21 January 2018 - 11:15 PM

After OpenZC is completed, maybe we could ban quests that are discovered to use copyrighted assets without permission (either specifically asked-for permission or blanket fan game permission as with SEGA) so that we don't support and showcase copyright infringement. It seems that almost all the quests (not good or bad quests, just quests) use Nintendo assets and characters against the company's will. It just doesn't seem right to make a love letter to a company but then disrespect their wishes, you know?

You do understand that, of course, Nintendo would never officially endorse the use of their stuff. Writing them to request that, is just silly.

No-one is going to ban quests using copyrighted material. Stop being silly.

• Shane, Cukeman and Lightwulf like this

#24 klop422

klop422

Guess I'm full of monsters and treasure

• Members

Posted 24 January 2018 - 07:53 AM

Just finished the boss music for my music. Just the 'Encounter' theme (for cutscenes or a dungeon) and ending.

One question: I've got plans for the Ending theme, but all of my ideas have it going on for a while (about three minutes at least); does the length of the track matter? I do plan to end on a loop anyway.

#25 P-Tux7

P-Tux7

💛

• Members

Posted 24 January 2018 - 07:41 PM

Also, I would recommend "death bells toll" and "mechanical anthem" from Strato as dungeon and boss music for new 1st quest.

Also I would recommend Dance of Remembrance tileset!

#26 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 24 January 2018 - 09:31 PM

Might be a bit late to suggest this, but it would be handy (though not necessary) to have a recommended cset structure so tiles could work (with varying success) in palettes created independently by others.

For example, if everyone used a structure like this:

qJtsf7r.png

And someone made a tree with "primary" foliage, "tertiary" trunk, and "misc" flowers it should still look like a tree in any other palette. Consider below:

SjbldWb.pngsXYrj8y.pngjnjcz6z.png

1 and 2 use the same structure, 2 and 3 use the same palette but are structured differently, so the original tile loses its form in 3. So ideally we'd want the same (or similar) structure across tiles so it's not so fiddly having to recolour everything after the fact.

• Jared and Lightwulf like this

#27 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 25 January 2018 - 02:33 AM

Also, I would recommend "death bells toll" and "mechanical anthem" from Strato as dungeon and boss music for new 1st quest.

Also I would recommend Dance of Remembrance tileset!

???

Did you miss the part where no copyrighted assets can be used for this?

Don't mix this up with Zelda modulesm, such as the Z3 module, or the planned Gameboy module. Those are add-ons (and Classic will become an add-on) to ZQuest/ZC, while these assets will be the default stuff distributed with the programme.

#28 P-Tux7

P-Tux7

💛

• Members

Posted 25 January 2018 - 03:10 AM

???

Did you miss the part where no copyrighted assets can be used for this?

Don't mix this up with Zelda modulesm, such as the Z3 module, or the planned Gameboy module. Those are add-ons (and Classic will become an add-on) to ZQuest/ZC, while these assets will be the default stuff distributed with the programme.

Oh, sorry. About Strato's music, he DID make it himself. And about the tileset, it looked completely original.

#29 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 25 January 2018 - 05:03 AM

Oh, sorry. About Strato's music, he DID make it himself. And about the tileset, it looked completely original.

DoR's visuals are a compilation of a wide variety of graphics: custom tiles, completely original tiles by me, completely original tiles by various other people, altered versions of older stuff you'll probably recognize, and graphics borrowed from a VERY wide variety of video games you probably *won't* recognize recognize.

--from the DoR tileset description.

DoR Hybrid adds a lot of tiles from 'Minish Cap'.

Post a link to the music and I'll research it.

Might be a bit late to suggest this, but it would be handy (though not necessary) to have a recommended cset structure so tiles could work (with varying success) in palettes created independently by others.

For example, if everyone used a structure like this:
qJtsf7r.png

And someone made a tree with "primary" foliage, "tertiary" trunk, and "misc" flowers it should still look like a tree in any other palette. Consider below:
SjbldWb.pngsXYrj8y.pngjnjcz6z.png

1 and 2 use the same structure, 2 and 3 use the same palette but are structured differently, so the original tile loses its form in 3. So ideally we'd want the same (or similar) structure across tiles so it's not so fiddly having to recolour everything after the fact.

I'm terrible with palette design. I still use the old 'use the colours that you need where you need them for a specific application' method, from my 1980s adventures in game and software design.

If people want to provide palette formats that have an internal logic, that's grand.

In general, I suggest using csets 2,3 and 4 for main tiles, and using level palettes to expand colour sets; and using the remaining csets for sprites, with two or three banks of general swatches.

Essentially:

cset 0 general colours
cset 1 general/global colours
cset 2, 3, 4 walls, floors, decorations, ground-terrain
cset 5 sprites and misc terrain
cset 6 player sprites, npcs
cset 7 sprites
cset 8 sprites
cset 9 special use sprites (level palettes affect them)
cset 10 sprites and subscreen elements
cset 11 misc 1, for 8-bit; and subscreen elements
cset 12 misc 2, for 8-bit
csets 13, 14 reserved
cset 15, UI, not usable

Design the palette based on application, for 16-colour and 4-colour.

Note that changing colours in csets by script is a planned 2.54 feature, so, it will be possible to construct swap-outs for sprite, general, and misc banks.

Just finished the boss music for my music. Just the 'Encounter' theme (for cutscenes or a dungeon) and ending.
One question: I've got plans for the Ending theme, but all of my ideas have it going on for a while (about three minutes at least); does the length of the track matter? I do plan to end on a loop anyway.

There are no restrictions on track length.
  • Lightwulf likes this

#30 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 25 January 2018 - 08:24 PM

I'm terrible with palette design. I still use the old 'use the colours that you need where you need them for a specific application' method, from my 1980s adventures in game and software design.

Well the idea is to have somewhat of a large, unified (or bifid, since you want NES-ish and SNES-ish sets) tileset, is it not? If two people make a "red" enemy with completely different palettes they can't both use cset 8 - at least not in the same quest (until 2.54 comes along, but you'd need a script which is no good for newbies). If there's a common cset structure, if not a common palette, then at least it's easier to make them work together.

• Lightwulf likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Contest

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users