Freeform Dungeons DMap Map NPC

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Riflezen

Riflezen

sometimes does stuff

• Members

Posted 13 October 2019 - 10:03 AM

Since I don't want to flood the forums with new topics, I'm just gonna post any questions I have here from now on. To start with:

-How do doors work in freeform dungeons? With layers, I assume?

-How do misc. attributes 11 and 12 affect enemy behavior?

-What happens if Link dies on a dmap that has no arrival square?

-How do you create a switch that affects a map seperate from the the map the switch is on?

Edited by Riflezen, 16 October 2019 - 07:44 PM.

#2 klop422

klop422

Guess I'm full of monsters and treasure

• Members

Posted 13 October 2019 - 11:13 AM

-If you mean NES dungeon doors, they tend to only work in freeform with Moosh's script. Or you can just use secret combos (assuming you know how to do screen secrets) and lock blocks, which are less flexible but tend to be enough for most people's use

-Afaik they don't, unless you're scripting.

-Arrival squares default to the top left corner. That's where they are until you put them somewhere else. So you'd respawn on the 'continue here' screen (which defaults to 00) in the top left corner.

-Screen state carryovers. In the Screen Data subwindow (which you can also get to with F9), there's a page with that stuff. You just put in the Map and Screen which you want to have the secrets activate on (also works for various other things - lock blocks, for example) and the secrets'll activate on that screen too. iirc if you want it to work the other way round you need the other screen to have the screen state carry over back to the original. If you want to link more than one screen, you just chain them.

• Riflezen likes this

#3 Jamian

Jamian

ZC enthusiast

• Members

Posted 13 October 2019 - 01:07 PM

More on doors... This is not related to layers. The doors you can place automatically in NES dungeons do not work in freeform dungeons. You can use the door function to place doors graphically, but locked doors and shutter doors will not work. The actual lock/shutter combos need to be replaced with lock blocks that look like doors (with a limit of one locked door per screen) or solid combos that look like shutter combos and turn into an open door once secrets have been activated (you can achieve the kill all enemies in the room => open shutter doors effect, by toggling the kill all enemies => secret flag in that room). 

If you want to have multiple locked doors in a single screen, or have a shutter door that closes behind Link upon entering the room, you either need to :

A) use a script

B) toggle the "treat as NES screen" flag for that particular room

Option B usually works well.

• Riflezen likes this

#4 klop422

klop422

• Members

Posted 14 October 2019 - 02:14 AM

Only weirdness with "Treat as NES Dungeon" is that it pushes Link a couple combos into the screen, which works fine if you have doors on all four sides, but is a little odd when you don't. Normally fine, though.

#5 Riflezen

Riflezen

sometimes does stuff

• Members

Posted 16 October 2019 - 01:41 PM

How do you set a continue point when making a dungeon with multiple floors? Is there a way to make a map that maps out all of the floors of the dungeon, and having a compass pinpoint a room on a different dmap, or floor?

Edited by Riflezen, 16 October 2019 - 02:13 PM.

#6 Riflezen

Riflezen

sometimes does stuff

• Members

Posted 16 October 2019 - 07:47 PM

Is there a way to "reverse," or swap the placement of pixels on the x-axis within a specific tile in the tile editor? Because that make custom enemies and bosses MUCH easier to do.

#7 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 16 October 2019 - 09:40 PM

How do you set a continue point when making a dungeon with multiple floors?

Using the "Entrance/Exit" type warp will set a continue point.  Using any other kind of warp ("Zap," "Insta," etc.) will not.  Keep that in mind.  I know it can seem useful to have multiple kinds of visual entrances, but the warp types do make a difference.  For more information, consult the Wiki.

Is there a way to make a map that maps out all of the floors of the dungeon, and having a compass pinpoint a room on a different dmap, or floor?

.Level Numbers are the key here. The Map, Compass, Level-dependent keys, and Boss Key are applied to Level Numbers. Each Dmap can have only one level number, but more than one Dmap can have the same level number. Reserve level numbers 1 through 8 for those where you get a Triforce, and level 9 for the area where you use the Triforce pieces, just in case. Level 0 is always an overworld. At least as far as I'm aware.

So, if you want a dungeon with multiple floors (Likely meaning multiple Dmaps, each of which represents a different floor and has a different layout that depicts a different map layout.) but you only need to pick up the map or compass once in the entire dungeon, and be able to pick up keys anywhere in the entire dungeon that you can't bring outside of the dungeon itself, have all of the Dmaps use the same level number and make sure nothing else in the quest uses that level number.  It's best to make a "Quest planner" text document that has a list of your level numbers and what dungeons use them.  Believe me, it'll be -very- helpful.

Is there a way to "reverse," or swap the placement of pixels on the x-axis within a specific tile in the tile editor? Because that make custom enemies and bosses MUCH easier to do.

If I'm hearing what I think I might be hearing, you can horizontally flip tiles in the tile pages by pressing "h" on them to flip them vertically, and "v" (When you don't have anything on the clipboard, copied via "c") to flip them vertically.

The same thing is applied to combos in the combo pages or when editing a combo, FYI. Just know that tiles and combos can be flipped independently. You can flip a combo without flipping the tile it belongs to, but if you flip a tile in the tiles page, that tile is definitely flipped permanently. Though you can just flip it back just as easily.

You can also rotate tiles and combos with "R" - And rotate them the other way with [Shift]+[R]. The latter doesn't work in the combo editor but works in the tiles pages for some reason.

• Riflezen likes this

#8 klop422

klop422

• Members

Posted 17 October 2019 - 06:21 AM

Using the "Entrance/Exit" type warp will set a continue point.  Using any other kind of warp ("Zap," "Insta," etc.) will not.  Keep that in mind.  I know it can seem useful to have multiple kinds of visual entrances, but the warp types do make a difference.  For more information, consult the Wiki.

Entrance/Exit will also stop the music during the transition which is weird when your other area has the same music (which multiple floors in the same dungeon probably do)

• ShadowTiger likes this

#9 Riflezen

Riflezen

sometimes does stuff

• Members

Posted 19 October 2019 - 04:44 PM

How do you make cutscenes? Like, is there a way to make characters, or combos, move during the cutscene without scripts? Similarly, how do you make messages that appear when you enter a boss room, like in IoR? Lastly, is there a way to make the bosses included by default, such as Aquamentus and Gohma, have a "boss explosion" effect, like the one in ALttP?

Edited by Riflezen, 19 October 2019 - 04:54 PM.

#10 Emily

Emily

Scripter / Dev

• ZC Developers

Posted 19 October 2019 - 05:38 PM

How do you make cutscenes? Like, is there a way to make characters, or combos, move during the cutscene without scripts? Similarly, how do you make messages that appear when you enter a boss room, like in IoR? Lastly, is there a way to make the bosses included by default, such as Aquamentus and Gohma, have a "boss explosion" effect, like the one in ALttP?

Hooo boy.

So, moving in cutscenes is FFCs. They have Vx and Vy (velocity; speed values) and Ax, Ay (acceleration values). If an FFC collides with another FFC set as a 'changer', the changer can modify these values. This is all unscripted.

Unscripted enemy with message in boss room? Make it it's own DMap with a DMap intro. Scripted? There are certainly scripts for it; which are very simple.

Boss explosions? Check 'Classic.zh' in 2.53 for a script that does this. Not possible unscripted.

#11 Riflezen

Riflezen

sometimes does stuff

• Members

Posted 19 October 2019 - 06:07 PM

Is there a way to specify how often an enemy's BG sound effect plays?

Edited by Riflezen, 20 October 2019 - 09:18 AM.

#12 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 19 October 2019 - 07:34 PM

How do you set a continue point when making a dungeon with multiple floors? Is there a way to make a map that maps out all of the floors of the dungeon, and having a compass pinpoint a room on a different dmap, or floor?

I don't think you can show the compass marker on a different dmap to the one you're on, but you might be able to hide the marker on dmaps that don't have the boss (maybe you can disable the marker in the dmap options, or disable the compass item itself for those dmaps).

As for showing all the floors at once, you can but not in a way you can scroll through them like lttp (at least not without scripts). What you can do is set a graphic for the big map that shows on the subscreen once you have the map, and because this graphic is wider than the dmap itself you can draw mini versions of the other floors in its left/right margins. This approach wont show where you have/haven't been on the other floors though, only the current one.
  • ShadowTiger likes this

#13 Riflezen

Riflezen

sometimes does stuff

• Members

Posted 20 October 2019 - 02:38 PM

When I download tiles to use and "Grab -> File -> Load PNG," the tiles in the images are always centered differently from the tiles in the ZC tilesheet. I assume there's a way to fix this?

#14 Emily

Emily

Scripter / Dev

• ZC Developers

Posted 20 October 2019 - 02:43 PM

When I download tiles to use and "Grab -> File -> Load PNG," the tiles in the images are always centered differently from the tiles in the ZC tilesheet. I assume there's a way to fix this?

AFAIK, make the PNG be on a 16x16 grid

#15 Geoffrey

Geoffrey

Chosen One

• Members

Posted 02 November 2019 - 01:03 PM

When you've imported them, you can use Shift + Left Click to select multiple tiles. Then you can use Alt + Arrow Keys to move them pixel by pixel. This can be quite time-consuming if the tiles are not on any grid, as the case often is.

Or you can do as venrob has suggested and use an external program like GraphicsGale to align the tiles to a 16x16 grid, like that used in ZC. Which option is better, or faster, will depend on the specific case.

• Riflezen likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Freeform Dungeons, DMap, Map, NPC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users