• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Architect Abdiel

Architect Abdiel

Kingdom Builder

• Members

Posted 18 May 2022 - 11:49 AM

1 + 1 = 2 Contest

Hello Zelda Classic users, this is Architect Abdiel here, coming to you with a brand new contest. This Contest is the 1 + 1 = 2 contest, as it focuses on the numbers 1 and 2, and these numbers are used to define the limitations of the contest. So how does this work?

These are the rules:

• You can only use map 1 and map 2.
  • Map 1 can only be used for layer 0.
  • Map 2 can be user either as a second map or used for layer 1 or 2.
  • Each screen may only have, at most one of either layer 1 or 2.
  • Writing a script to get around the layers rule is forbidden, even if you are not writing things to a layer specifically. You may use any other scripts.
  • Layer 2 may be used as a background layer.
  • You may either design solo or with one collab partner.
  • If there are any further questions, feel free to ask.

Here are a couple bonus objectives:

• Make this a collab project.
  • Include the numbers 1 or 2 somewhere in your quest.
  • Use no more than 2 items.
  • Have no more than 2 bosses.
  • Limit custom graphics to one tile page.
  • Use up both maps completely.

This contest starts on Saturday, May 21st, at 1:20 AM Eastern time, and will go two weeks and 1 day, ending June 5th, at 2:10 PM.
Good luck.

Anyone who wants to give feedback may, and with enough quests, I may do a video on the quests submitted.

• Mani Kanina, Shane, Jenny and 2 others like this

#2 Architect Abdiel

Architect Abdiel

Kingdom Builder

• Members

Posted 18 May 2022 - 01:15 PM

If you're going for the challenge, any passive items, as well as the sword do not count against the 2 item challenge.
You can upgrade the items as well.

#3 Mani Kanina

Mani Kanina

Rabbits!

• Members

Posted 18 May 2022 - 05:01 PM

Yeah I could see myself entering if I can find a partner. I'd not do it solo I don't think.

#4 Jenny

Jenny

braixen

• Members
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 18 May 2022 - 05:09 PM

Open to potential collabs should anyone be willing to partner w/ me

#5 HeroOfFire

HeroOfFire

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 18 May 2022 - 06:29 PM

Just to clarify a few things.

Given the layer rule, the only way to have a tile appear over any sprite is if the combo type is Overhead?

Don't use scripts to draw on layers if it's a substitution for having combos on a layer (so making the screen flash on a timer as a thunderstorm effect is probably a no, since in 2.10 quests and older that is something you'd accomplish with layers). What about drawing a sprite (player, enemy, or weapon) to layer 3 or higher just so it draws over the standard sprite layer? What about custom menus (often drawn on higher layers)? What about FFCs with the Draw Over flag, where are these fine and where could they be labeled as a workaround for the layer limitation?

Otherwise I have a few ideas, and can see a few different styles that could fit within 1 - 2 maps with minimal or no layers. Tilesets that are mostly usable with 0 - 1 layers and don't need overhead layers are probably the way to go.

#6 Architect Abdiel

Architect Abdiel

Kingdom Builder

• Members

Posted 18 May 2022 - 07:37 PM

Just to clarify a few things.

Given the layer rule, the only way to have a tile appear over any sprite is if the combo type is Overhead?

Don't use scripts to draw on layers if it's a substitution for having combos on a layer (so making the screen flash on a timer as a thunderstorm effect is probably a no, since in 2.10 quests and older that is something you'd accomplish with layers). What about drawing a sprite (player, enemy, or weapon) to layer 3 or higher just so it draws over the standard sprite layer? What about custom menus (often drawn on higher layers)? What about FFCs with the Draw Over flag, where are these fine and where could they be labeled as a workaround for the layer limitation?

Otherwise I have a few ideas, and can see a few different styles that could fit within 1 - 2 maps with minimal or no layers. Tilesets that are mostly usable with 0 - 1 layers and don't need overhead layers are probably the way to go.

I'll answer these questions individually since I think I can answer them a little differently.

Basically yes. The combo type would need to be overhead. I believe you can make overhead combos work on layers 1 or 2 now. Which extends the possibilities.

I would say no on the usage of weather effects for layers. I think you may be able to make them work as overhead combos though. As long as they are on map 2.

I will say yes to drawing a sprite on a higher layer. I think that's fair.

Custom Menus I am perfectly fine with.

FFCs with the Draw Over flag would also be fine. That gets around the rule and I think that's okay.

#7 PixElvis

PixElvis

Creative?

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 18 May 2022 - 10:14 PM

I have a doubt about the "Limit custom graphics to one tile page". Just one tile page for overworld graphics & sprites, or, one tile page for custom graphics e.g. mountains, pitfalls, dungeon walls, and one tile page for sprites such as enemies, bosses, NPCs, etc.?  (1 tile page for graphics + 1 tile page for sprites = 2 tile pages)

#8 Architect Abdiel

Architect Abdiel

Kingdom Builder

• Members

Posted 19 May 2022 - 05:13 AM

It’s just for your custom graphics.
  • PixElvis likes this

#9 PixElvis

PixElvis

Creative?

• Members

Posted 19 May 2022 - 05:17 PM

Got it!

#10 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 19 May 2022 - 05:42 PM

Shameless plug but if people want a good, active place to talk about the contest and its results, I'd suggest heading over to ZC Land! The contest is being discussed at length there. :)

• Anthus, Eddy, Jenny and 2 others like this

#11 HeroOfFire

HeroOfFire

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 04 June 2022 - 02:50 PM

I've submitted, hope to see some other fun ideas come from these interesting design limitations.

#12 Architect Abdiel

Architect Abdiel

Kingdom Builder

• Members

Posted 05 June 2022 - 03:43 PM

Extension.

Contest now ends at 10:10 PM on June 9th, EST.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users