Announcing: Zelda Classic in the browser

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 connor.clark

connor.clark

Junior

• ZC Developers

Posted 29 April 2022 - 01:58 PM

I'm releasing my port of Zelda Classic to the web browser today: https://hoten.cc/zc/play/

Blog post: https://hoten.cc/blo...sic-to-the-web/

There's a deep-link feature, for example this loads test mode to the end of the 1st quest:

https://hoten.cc/zc/...map=9&screen=58

And this opens a particular screen in ZQuest:

https://hoten.cc/zc/...map=0&screen=55

Or you can link straight to playing a quest (or loading the existing save file):

https://hoten.cc/zc/...unnyEdition.qst

Edited by connor.clark, 29 April 2022 - 05:03 PM.

• Nathaniel, Twilight Knight, Taco Chopper and 8 others like this

#2 Jenny

Jenny

braixen

• Members
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 29 April 2022 - 02:57 PM

Seriously fantastic work. One of the biggest hurdles I've faced in getting my friends into playing my quests is all the setup required to get them running. The potential this has for lowering that barrier to entry is unfathomable.

• Haylee and Matthew like this

#3 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 29 April 2022 - 03:00 PM

Just from playing around a little, I have to commend you for this, this is absolutely insane and amazing. It's certainly quite on the laggy end of things rn but it is an alpha so I would expect that to be smoothed out later. But this is incredible and would make playing quests so much easier for the same reasons Jenny said.

Really good work on this, looking forward to seeing where this goes

• Jenny likes this

#4 Jamian

Jamian

ZC enthusiast

• Members

Posted 29 April 2022 - 04:42 PM

That is quite an achievement. I've tested a couple on my own quests there and everything went well. Congrats on your impressive work.

#5 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 29 April 2022 - 06:32 PM

Whattt how is this even possible?! Amazing work!

#6 connor.clark

connor.clark

Junior

• ZC Developers

Posted 29 April 2022 - 07:17 PM

Thanks all for the kind words!

I forgot to mention, but ZQuest is also ported too: https://hoten.cc/zc/create/  (although I definitely haven't tested it nearly as much as the player)...edited the first post a bit to include.

Edited by connor.clark, 29 April 2022 - 07:18 PM.

• Eddy likes this

#7 Nightmare

Nightmare

Original ZC Tester

• Members

Posted 30 April 2022 - 04:53 AM

Want to wish you a hearty congratulations Connor!

This massively solves a lot of multiplatform issues temporarily.  A very nice accomplishment.

-James

• Binx likes this

#8 Architect Abdiel

Architect Abdiel

Kingdom Builder

• Members

Posted 30 April 2022 - 11:12 AM

I’m going to assume enhanced music works in the same way as here where you have to save the music into the same folder.

#9 connor.clark

connor.clark

Junior

• ZC Developers

Posted 30 April 2022 - 12:09 PM

Any external music files are downloaded when the player first uses them. I also grabbed all the music zips. For the quests in the purezc directory, that should all just work.

For any local quests you have, yes just keep music in the same folder.

#10 Haylee

Haylee

~ The Ragin' Cajun ~

• Members
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 30 April 2022 - 04:47 PM

Good stuff! A couple things I noticed that should probably be fixed:

- The Triforce animation doesn't end, I can only assume it's something related to how the Triforce check is supposed to end causing some issues. It can still be F6'd out of.

- Opening quests in browser ZQuest bypasses passwords.

Outside of that, p much what Jenny said, this will likely make getting into ZC substantially easier for newcomers.

#11 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 30 April 2022 - 11:47 PM

- Opening quests in browser ZQuest bypasses passwords.

Regarding this one, there's so many ways around passwords that I wouldn't even call it a bug. Passwords are not and never have been a way to secure quests. They provide the illusion of security but no actual protection.

As others have said, this is really impressive. It runs at too low an FPS to actually be viable for me, but it's very cool nonetheless, and nicely solves the problem of newer versions of ZC not running on Mac or Linux.
  • Anthus, Eddy and Matthew like this

#12 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 01 May 2022 - 12:25 AM

Very cool stuff. This is one of those things that seems kind of surreal to see actually functioning. It has some issues to be worked out for sure, but the fact that it exists at all is really good for preservation efforts, and it can only improve.

As far as the password thing, yeah, they have always been kind of useless. There's ways to get around them, and I'd encourage anyone who reads this, and makes a quest, do NOT make your quest password the same as other, real passwords. I know this sounds like common sense, but seriously ZC quest passwords are not that secure.

EDIT: Played a bit more than a few minutes now, and I can say this runs well for me. I don't see much, or any lag in game, and while it's odd to see "load times" in ZC, it isn't really that long, and hell, even in regular ZC loading certain quests can take a few seconds.

One suggestion; switch the default A/B inputs. Most people use Z and X, which I appreciate, but having Z be A makes it opposite of how most people who play that way would intuit it imo. Thankfully, you can access, and change keyboard controls, and access all of the ZC menus in the browser so it's really a non-issue, just a minor thing.

Seriously, this is cool stuff! :)

• Jared likes this

#13 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:She / Her, They / Them

Posted 01 May 2022 - 06:23 AM

Very cool stuff. This is one of those things that seems kind of surreal to see actually functioning. It has some issues to be worked out for sure, but the fact that it exists at all is really good for preservation efforts, and it can only improve.

As far as the password thing, yeah, they have always been kind of useless. There's ways to get around them, and I'd encourage anyone who reads this, and makes a quest, do NOT make your quest password the same as other, real passwords. I know this sounds like common sense, but seriously ZC quest passwords are not that secure.

EDIT: Played a bit more than a few minutes now, and I can say this runs well for me. I don't see much, or any lag in game, and while it's odd to see "load times" in ZC, it isn't really that long, and hell, even in regular ZC loading certain quests can take a few seconds.

One suggestion; switch the default A/B inputs. Most people use Z and X, which I appreciate, but having Z be A makes it opposite of how most people who play that way would intuit it imo. Thankfully, you can access, and change keyboard controls, and access all of the ZC menus in the browser so it's really a non-issue, just a minor thing.

Seriously, this is cool stuff! :)

I use Z as A lmao

Though I'm weird in that instead of A and S I use Q and W for L and R.

• Anthus likes this

#14 Rambly

Rambly

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 01 May 2022 - 06:26 AM

really, really neat. i'm not as eager as some other people here to say it'd replace in-windows ZC for me or anything like that, or that it's a replacement for proper multi-system support, but as a portable thing or as a way to just get people to finally play stuff this is pretty cool. and just conceptually. conceptually it's really cool

(rest of post removed)

Edited by Rambly, 01 May 2022 - 06:56 AM.

#15 Rambly

Rambly

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 01 May 2022 - 06:42 AM

(there was more here; it has been removed)

Edited by Rambly, 01 May 2022 - 06:56 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users