Photo

Logitech Headsets are a bizarre, unholy creation.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 07 October 2015 - 03:58 PM

I promised myself I would never be "that" customer; the one that just complains loudly about everything when their problems are far from the worst in the world. But here we go...

I bought some Wireless G930 Gaming Headphones. The software installation was painful. It never acknowledged the installation, and in order to get any sound out of them at all, I had to leave the software off completely. Additionally, I would occasionally get some sort of feedback along the wireless connection, which would leave the most horrific low-droning sound for five minutes (at least) in the background. I'd have to just take them off and stop whatever I was doing until it passed. Shutting it off or removing the USB adapter didn't help at all. Additionally, they would shut themselves off randomly when booting into Windows, forcing me to turn them off and then on again.

They were all little things that just add up to a bit of needless frustration. What I loved about them though is that the new volume was WAY higher than standard-fare earbuds that use the audio-in jack. Seriously, the volume meter is nearly at the bottom, and I can hear everything just fine. It's beautiful. I mean I'm happy it wasn't my actual hearing that was going!

So then these G430 USB-powered headsets went on sale for $40 or so, and I snagged a pair. I thought since it's USB powered, it'd have no issues at all, right? Right?

So after a firmware update and software installation, which I had to go hunting for (Not really an issue) I find that my issues increase quite a bit. The volume itself is about mid-way between the awesome volume of the wireless headset and the terrible maximum volume of earbuds. That's fine.

For one, although I can hear MP3s and whatnot, and one Youtube video, if I opened another youtube video I can't hear that one, but I can still hear the other one. It's almost as if the headset has a low number of maximum "passive channels" or something. Even if I pause one video and open up another one, I can't hear it.

Some non-youtube videos do that too. (Maybe it's a flash-plugin sort of deal?) A video would be on full volume but would put out no audio until I click somewhere on the scrub bar. Sometimes the video would play again.

Also, in order to get Windows to acknowledge the headset when it boots, I have to unplug it and plug it back in again. The USB male is in the same female slot as the wireless Headset's adapter. What's going on there? O.o Again, it's all updated with its firmware and software and everything. It just completely loses track of the Headset after Windows shuts down. What would do that?

---------------------

Really, I'm not even looking for an actual headset. All I'm looking for in the end is a way to have a decent amount of volume without turning the volume bar all the way up. Whenever I wear earbuds for more than a few months, they degrade or something, and I have to slide the volume bar higher and higher just to continue hearing what I want to hear.

Eventually it gets to the point where the actual audio jacks in the computer are what degrades, and even new earbuds; high quality ones no less, won't be able to hear very much on the highest possible volume.

So apparently I've had decent results from one USB audio connection which involved no audio jacks.

So, is there such a thing as a pure Headset-to-USB or something, with no actual audio jacks? Maybe just my standard earbuds with a straight audio-to-USB adapter, which actually came with that newer USB headset. That was a damn dirty trick that thing pulled. :P It wasn't USB at all.
  • LikeLike on fire likes this

#2 Saffith

Saffith

IPv7 user

• Members

Posted 07 October 2015 - 05:04 PM

I've got this one: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16826193069
Nothing too fancy, but it works well enough, and it's genuinely USB. I've mainly used it on Linux, but a quick test in Windows 7 seemed to work fine. That was using the drivers Windows installed automatically; I don't remember if it came with a CD.
  • ShadowTiger likes this

#3 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:She / Her, They / Them

Posted 07 October 2015 - 05:48 PM

Holy those are expensive

#4 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 07 October 2015 - 07:44 PM

Yes, yes they are! But apparently, they're worth it. To some people, I suppose. Maybe not for others. Unlucky people, mostly. I do feel like luck is involved. >.>

But thank you, Saffith, those look like a fun pair. I'm glad you enjoy them.

Last night, before I went to bed and whatnot, I disabled every other audio source in the Playback Devices area, and when I turned on the PC all those hectic minutes ago the next day, a few hours after I'd made this thread, I found that I didn't have to unplug and re-plug (Totally a word now.) the USB male to get it to be recognized. Yay. That's one thing down.

#5 Linkus

Linkus

• Members

Posted 08 October 2015 - 10:55 AM

If you're going to get wireless headphones may I recommend the Sennheiser RS series? They may have no microphone, but the quality is very good and they rest on your head comfortably. You don't need any drivers to install either, as they work as soon as you plug them in and power the charging base. I've got the RS 120 and they're great, although the pads like to pick up hair.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users