1785 replies to this topic

#1726 Feenicks

Feenicks

still the harpy guy

• Members

Posted 17 August 2017 - 02:07 PM

6Y2Wf7E.png 

Midbosses say hi.
Have specific patra 2/3s as well [plus a Vaati-looking variant], but I didn't want to die as soon as went into the room:

JsjDVp7.png

Edited by Feenicks, 17 August 2017 - 02:08 PM.

• Anthus, Shane, MoscowModder and 3 others like this

#1727 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 27 August 2017 - 06:46 PM

uhcKiI2.png

Custom-made: Feathered Edge (Rito) and Sword of The Seven (Urbosa's sacred blade), both from Breath of The Wild!

Currently not too happy with the stab animation for SoTS, but it does indeed work for now. If anyone has and recommendations, please let me know. I'm also not too happy with the blade color, as the white is too bright. But that white seems alright for the Feathered Edge.

Free to use, and will be put onto the database soon enough. Just gotta keep making a few more. Let me know what you think, and they're free to use for GB! I'm sure they can also be recolored into PR or DoR. Just credit me, of course! :)

Edit- Would be nice if I actually put up the picture with it. xD

Edited by Jared, 27 August 2017 - 06:47 PM.

• Shane, Eddy, MoscowModder and 3 others like this

#1728 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 31 August 2017 - 12:14 AM

I found the solution like said in my previous post.

Sounds like a terribly slow and cumbersome "solution". Maybe some people just need to see to believe.

This is what a ZC screenshot looks like in GraphicsGale:

Image1.png

See that lovely palette on the side? See how it directly reflects the in-game palette? You can easily modify that palette then import it as csets back into ZC. No math, no guesswork, no rearranging, no recolouring.

• Anthus, strike and Jared like this

#1729 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members

Posted 31 August 2017 - 12:39 PM

Sounds like a terribly slow and cumbersome "solution". Maybe some people just need to see to believe.

Image1.png

See that lovely palette on the side? See how it directly reflects the in-game palette? You can easily modify that palette then import it as csets back into ZC. No math, no guesswork, no rearranging, no recolouring.

Oooh this can be used for palettes, edited in real time! I just downloaded it for this reason. Thanks, NoeL.  :sly:

#1730 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members

Posted 11 September 2017 - 08:51 PM

1d3iU9T.png

EBQTCgv.png

Custom tunics based off of A Link Between Worlds. Anything that could be done better? I like them a lot, but something seems off.

Edited by Jared, 11 September 2017 - 08:53 PM.

• Shane and Matthew like this

#1731 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 11 September 2017 - 09:38 PM

They're a bit on the dark side, and there's not enough contrast between the tunic and the belt (particularly for the red tunic). The arms are a little stubby-looking too, and on the right shoulder (i.e. the top of the sprite) you've doubled up your outline. Not sure if that was intentional or not but I can't see a reason for it. Also they're a bit flat. :P That's about all the criticism I can give. But overall the sprites are clear and readable, so good job.

• Jared likes this

#1732 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members

Posted 11 September 2017 - 09:48 PM

They're a little dark because I stayed with the CSet 6 for them. And that extra tile makes it so the tunic has more body, otherwise the tunic looks a little uneven. I like the stubby arms! Plus it's not like we have the most space to work with. :P

Do you think you could edit it into a better vision? Only if you like! Thank you for your comments and critiques.

#1733 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 12 September 2017 - 01:50 AM

Weird that all the ring colours are in the one cset. Seems a bit restrictive. Anyway, let's see what I can do.

62wChB9.png

• Shane, Jared, coolgamer012345 and 1 other like this

#1734 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members

Posted 12 September 2017 - 10:21 AM

I really like them. Thank you! It's just an awkward angle by nature, so it'll always look a bit odd. I seem to be flippy-floppy on both, so I will decide later on. Thank you so much. :)

• Shane likes this

#1735 MoscowModder

MoscowModder

Sometimes lurking. Rarely posting.

• Members

Posted 13 September 2017 - 08:08 PM

Hey PZC-ers, it's me again. I'm trying to stretch my drawing skills in a new direction: portraits! And in order to ease myself into this new skillset, I'm practicing on the character I'm most familiar with (who is also comparatively easy to draw): good ol' Nightmare!

EDIT: Here's a bust too!

Full-body shot yet to come.

LGo34uM.pngGpXxKEA.png

This is my first time making an effort at a 3/4ths perspective (rather than straight-up side-view), so the perspective may look a bit awkward.

What do you think? How's my shading? I feel I've still got a lot to learn on that front.

For comparison, here are his various sprites from before:

J6BujfH.png

Edited by MoscowModder, 13 September 2017 - 11:21 PM.

• Shane likes this

#1736 MoscowModder

MoscowModder

Sometimes lurking. Rarely posting.

• Members

Posted 15 September 2017 - 07:19 AM

Aaaaand here's the full body shot. I'm really proud of how it turned out, but of course feel free to critique anything I failed to notice:

V46BKDD.png

#1737 Naru

Naru

Magus

• Members

Posted 28 September 2017 - 05:18 AM

Image1.png

It is a bit embressing to ask this, but how do you import the csets then? I know paint does sometimes unneeded things, but so far "exporting" a cset from a screenshot wasn't a problem for me with it. The problem is importing the cset from the saved picture and it doesn't matter which program I used to edit it. Even tiles from the database, if I try to grab colors from it they differ from the actual picture. The difference isn't big, but if I import a set of colors (bright, middle, dark) these slight differences are enough to throw off the balance between them as a set.

#1738 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 29 September 2017 - 02:41 AM

Importing a cset into Zelda Classic? Or importing a cset into a palette in Graphics Gale?

For importing into Zelda Classic, select:
  • Quest -> Graphics -> Palettes -> (wherever you want to import to)
  • Select a cset with the mouse
  • Click "grab"
  • Select the image you wish to import the cset from and click "ok"
  • On the bottom right of the image you'll see the image's palette (if the image is a zc screenshot this palette will already be organised into csets)
  • Select a row on the palette and click "ok"
  • That row of the palette will be imported as a cset.
If you want to import a "cset" into Graphics Gale (note: GG doesn't have "csets" as such, just rows of a palette):
  • Click the down-facing arrow at the lower left of the palette (just beneath the grid)
  • Select "load palette" - a popup will appear
  • On the lower left where it says "file", click it and select "load from file" (note: you'll only be able to load palettes from images with an indexed palette. For full colour images you need to reduce the colour depth first (see my next post))
  • Select the image you want to import a "cset" from (if it's from ZC, you'll need to save a screenshot with the same palette and load from that screenshot in GG)
  • It will then show two palettes: on the left is the palette of the file you just selected, on the right is the palette of the image you currently have open (and are importing to)
  • On the left palette, find the cset(s) you wish to import then click and drag from the first colour in the cset, horizontally right, to the last colour in the cset (the whole row will appear selected). If you only want to import single colours or parts of a cset, select only the relevant colours.
  • Move the cursor onto the right palette and you will see the selected cset "hovering" where the mouse cursor is. Position the mouse so that the cset you wish to import fills a single row of the palette (i.e. somewhere on the left edge of the palette), then left click.
  • Click "ok"
  • Save the image.
Also to note: If you're preparing a palette to import into ZC as a cset, the colours you want in that cset must all be in the same row. In ZC you cannot import, say, eight colours from one row and eight colours from another row - all 16 must be in the SAME row.

Even tiles from the database, if I try to grab colors from it they differ from the actual picture. The difference isn't big, but if I import a set of colors (bright, middle, dark) these slight differences are enough to throw off the balance between them as a set.

It sounds to me like you're "recolouring" tiles when you import them into ZC. If you import a tile into ZC it discards that tile's original palette. It doesn't remember what colour each pixel is, only which position in the palette the pixel corresponds to. Now, because palettes can be arranged arbitrarily, "red" could be in a completely different position in your quest's palette than it is in the tile's palette. This used to make importing loose tiles a big hassle, since you'd need to go and recolour the tile manually to use the order of your quest palette (and appear - at least somewhat - correct).

Now ZC has a "recolour" function that does that automatically. Instead of manually recolouring the tile to approximate its original palette, ZC finds the closest colour match in the cset and sets that location to those pixels. But this doesn't preserve the original palette - that's still completely discarded - which is why whenever you import something from a different tileset with a different palette it's rarely going to look right.

If you want the imported tile to look EXACTLY like it does in the pictures, you need to import the palette (i.e. cset) alongside the tile itself (following my first set of instructions, grab the cset from the loose tile image). Again note that due to the arbitrary arrangements of palettes, if the tile needs to look right in multiple csets (e.g. octorok tiles need to look right in palettes 7 and 8 ) you might need to rearrange the colours in GG before you import the cset (e.g. make sure the "reds" in 8 are at the same position as the "blues" in 7).

Edited by NoeL, 18 October 2017 - 05:15 PM.

• Anthus and Naru like this

#1739 Naru

Naru

Magus

• Members

Posted 29 September 2017 - 08:57 AM

OK, I found out the following things:
- I can import correct csets from a ZC-screenshot.
- I can't import csets from any other image, including ZC-screenshots that are edited (eg lose tiles reduced to the filled space).
- I can just import a cset to a ZC-screenshot with graphicsgale and grab it that way (thank you, that helps a lot)
- Some images (including screenshots edited with paint) have empty palette data and I can't import it...

#1740 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 29 September 2017 - 10:14 PM

- Some images (including screenshots edited with paint) have empty palette data and I can't import it...

Editing an image in paint will overwrite (and therefore destroy) it's palette data, making it unsuitable for Zelda Classic. Do not use paint for anything related to Zelda Classic. Just go ahead and uninstall that damn thing if you can't resist using it. Graphics Gale should be your one and only image editor for Zelda Classic.

- I can't import csets from any other image, including ZC-screenshots that are edited (eg lose tiles reduced to the filled space).

This is because, I'm assuming, those images do not have their palettes suitably structured for ZC. As I said, in order to import a cset the palette needs to have all the colours in that cset occupy a single row of the palette.

Open up those images in Graphics Gale and look at the "color palette" window (i.e. the big square grid of colours). If this shows as one big rainbow rather than distinct colours the file is almost certainly too high a bit depth (ZC is only 8-bit. Higher bit images are scaled down and have their palettes created automatically when imported - we do NOT want this!). You don't need to understand what bit depth is, but know for importing into ZC we want our images to be either 4-bit (16 colour) or 8-bit (256 colour).

If your image is higher than 8-bit (again, this should be immediately evident by looking at the palette in GG) you're going to have to do some manual palette ordering, but first we need to reduce the bit depth of the image:

1. Open the image in Graphics Gale
  2. Select from the top menu All Frames -> Color Depth
  3. Under "Pixel Format" (bottom left) select "8bpp (256 Colors)" then click "ok" (if the image only has 16 or fewer colours you can select 4bpp, but generally go 8bpp). Don't worry about the other options here.
  4. You should now see that the "rainbow" palette has been condensed into a big cluster of distinct colours - one square (swab) for each unique colour in the image.
  5. We need to reorder those swabs to form rows in the palette, and those rows can be imported as csets. A 256 colour palette will have 16 rows, so you can create up to 16 csets in one image (again, if you open a ZC screenshot and look at the palette you will see several csets forming the rows of the palette).

So, let's build!

1. First, decide which row of the palette you'll be using (I'll be referring to it as "our row" henceforth). This is arbitrary - you can pick whichever row you want - but we want to move our colours to that row ONLY.
  2. Second, we need to find out which colours in the palette are relevant to the part of the image we want to import (e.g. if the image has a power bracelet and a tunic but we're only interested in the tunic, we only care about the colours in the tunic)
  3. Remember that the first colour in a cset is the transparent colour, so we need to look at our image and see what colour the background is, then locate that colour swab in the palette. The easiest way is to simply select the pen tool then right click on the background. Right click acts as a dropper and will select that colour in the palette.
  4. Now that we've located where the background colour exists in the palette, we need to move it to the first position in our row. Hold shift then click and drag that swab to the first position in our row (dragging without holding shift will reorder the palette without changing the pixel data, which we don't want).
  5. Next, decide what order you want the rest of the colours (again, if the image needs to look right in multiple csets you're going to have to put the colours in the same order), then repeat the process for each colour (right click to select the colour, hold shift and drag the swab to its position in our row).
  6. Side note: if a tile has more than 16 colours then ZC can only draw it in "8-bit" mode. You'll need to spread its palette across multiple rows and import multiple csets, but that's beyond the scope of this tutorial. Stick to 16-colour tiles.
  7. And that's it! If you've done everything correctly you should have a single row containing all the colours from the tile(s) you wish to import - exactly as it would exist in a ZC screenshot. Save the image, and you should be able to import a cset from it as I described in my last post (and then import the tile(s) afterwards).

• Anthus, Jared and Naru like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users