Photo

Spicy hottest stuff you've heard of, tried etc.

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#16 Aevin

Aevin

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 21 November 2014 - 06:50 PM

For anyone who's interested, here's the wikipedia page on the Scoville scale of spiciness, with a list of hottest peppers.

• ShadowTiger likes this

#17 thepsynergist

thepsynergist

thepsynergist

• Members

Posted 21 November 2014 - 07:00 PM

My local grocery store has a salsa that's made with Ghost Pepper.  Supposedly, the hottest pepper in the world.  It burned my tongue for like, 20 minutes.

#18 Tree

Tree

Everything must go away

• Members

Posted 21 November 2014 - 07:13 PM

I value my taste buds, so I don't have super spicy shtuffs. The spiciest thing I've ever eaten was an entire ripe habanero, seeds and all, and that was like fire. I don't feel like doing anything more than that.

#19 4matsy

4matsy

SHE WILL WAKE ONLY WITH THE POWER OF NO. 3 CHEESEFORCE

• Members

Posted 21 November 2014 - 09:04 PM

I like habaneros. :3

On just about anything. :3

#20 strike

strike

life is fragile, temporary, and precious

• Members

Posted 21 November 2014 - 10:07 PM

I once had a banana. I cried for twenty minutes,

-Strike

#21 thepsynergist

thepsynergist

thepsynergist

• Members

Posted 22 November 2014 - 04:34 AM

I once had a banana. I cried for twenty minutes,

-Strike

Did you have the banana for scale?

• ShadowTiger likes this

#22 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators

Posted 22 November 2014 - 06:19 AM

For anyone who's interested, here's the wikipedia page on the Scoville scale of spiciness, with a list of hottest peppers.

"Carolina Reaper" Well then, looks like that's the last thing I'll ever want to eat :P

#23 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 22 November 2014 - 07:24 AM

It was almost enough to make me think twice about visiting North Carolina. It's like, "Oh crap, there might be a pepper there somewhere. :omg: "

#24 klop422

klop422

Guess I'm full of monsters and treasure

• Members

Posted 24 November 2014 - 06:40 PM

I have Mexican family, so I have a bit of a liking for spiciness. The spiciest thing there is (in my knowledge) is an Habanero. Only eat its sauce, never an actual one.

Jalapenos (that looks so wrong without the tilde) are actually not that bad. Don't eat them on their own, though. In fact, don't eat any chilli on its own. They're better in a sauce or cut up in a sandwich.

• Astromeow likes this

#25 Astromeow

Astromeow

RESPECT DA OBOE SOLO

• Members

Posted 03 October 2015 - 12:53 PM

Im glad to see others with a similar interest in spice!

Food lately hasn't been at all spicy enough for me. Every chance I get Ive been trying to heat up my foods

I believe Ive achieved intermediate/expert level on spice handling. 

I can't even get near the point of eyes watering or feel my sinus really clear itself out.

I hope, and am looking forward to stuff hotter than 800,000 on the Scoville Scale for heat units

#26 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:She / Her, They / Them

Posted 03 October 2015 - 04:00 PM

I am a huge hot sauce fanatic. I own Blair's After Death, Blair's Ultra Death, Mad Dog Ghost Pepper Sauce, 2 Jamaican Jerk Sauces, 3 Jamaican Curry/Pepper Sauces, Srirachi, Frank's Red Hot (I sometimes put that Sh*t on everything), Habenero BBQ Sauce, Buffalo Sauce, and many more that I cannot remember. 

One time, I mixed After and Ultra together when I had a friend over, and put it on a Pogo (what we canadians call "corn dogs"). We spent the next hour chugging water. After Death has an immediate reaction, while Ultra has an aftertaste.

#27 Valientlink

Valientlink

~V@LîΣÑTLîÑK~

• Members

Posted 03 October 2015 - 05:54 PM

I used to put like 4 boxes worth of those red hot candies in my mouth and it was like 5 minutes of excruciating burning all in my mouth/ears/eyes. My friends and I used to consider this fun but it's not, and after its done burning you feel like you've just done the cinnamon challenge.

#28 Aevin

Aevin

• Members

Posted 23 March 2017 - 09:40 PM

I've ranted about spiciness to Russ so frequently that he seems uninterested and just keeps planning for how to make a quest within a 24 hour time limit. Honestly, Russ, priorities ... But how am I supposed to contain the fact that I have awakened to the flavor? I have achieved a spiciness enlightenment, and you all can, too!

So I came to realize that American consumer spiciness is ... not actually very spicy. I know spiciness tolerance is different for everyone, but just to put this in perspective, jalapenos, at around 10,000 scoville units, are not very strong on the spiciness scale, but many Americans think of them as being intolerably hot. Hot salsas tend to be heated with these jalapenos as one ingredient, diluted by the tomato and other ingredients. Even things that brand themselves as being impossible kill yourself hot tend to be only vaguely spicy. I tried habanero salsa that wasn't spicy at all - true, habaneros are an incredibly hot pepper, but they dilute it down to it's not very spicy at all. The only store-bought salsa I've tried that's been reasonably spicy is ghost pepper salsa. You might recognize ghost peppers as the hottest pepper in the world. I'd absolutely be unable to eat a ghost pepper, but here they dilute it down so much that it's ... kinda exciting and spicy. Probably about where I'd expect all salsas labeled "hot" to be.

In Thai cooking, it all begins with this little fella. The bird's eye chili! He may be little, but he has big plans. It runs about 100,000 - 225,000 scoville units - about ten to twenty times as spicy as a jalapeno. And do the Thai people put a chopped up teaspoon in a gallon of soup? No. They just freaking eat them. They eat them in all kinds of things, from curry, to stir fry, to just eating them raw. It's a table condiment, it's just that common!

Now, red Thai curry has long been one of my favorite dishes, but I've always been aware the Thai would laugh me out of the house for calling it spicy. And after getting some real spicy curry at a restaurant a few months back, I decided there was a whole tier of spiciness that I've been missing out on. I decided I needed to have me some of that magic ingredient - powdered bird's eye chili. I visited several asian markets looking for it. One even sold something they labeled as Thai chili powder, but it was actually Korean chili powder, which looks nearly identical but is much, much less spicy, about at that jalapeno level again. But finally, after about a month of searching, I finally found it ...

I've been adding this to all kinds of stuff lately. Spaghetti, buffalo chicken, pizza, and ... most importantly, red Thai curry. Sometimes I make it almost too hot, but it's so, so good I can't possibly stop eating it! Tonight I made a wonderful red curry with chicken, squash, bell peppers and bamboo shoots, with a positively deadly spiciness. So amazing! I put the leftovers in a tupperware container that looks oddly coffin-shaped. How fitting.

This stuff is amazing. I'd encourage you all to push the boundaries of your spiciness level and see what you're missing out on. And if you can, see if you can't get a hold of some Thai chili flakes - they're bright red, not rust-colored. Make sure they're labeled Thai and not Korean, or you'll be disappointed.

Sorry for giant rant. I just had to get this out somewhere, because Russ is the only one I know who likes spiciness enough to appreciate stuff like this with me, and that's a shame. I dream of a world where everyone can taste the excitement of the extremely spicy, and love every mouth-scorching minute of it!

• ShadowTiger, strike and Jared like this

#29 kurt91

kurt91

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 23 March 2017 - 09:54 PM

I've had stuff made with ghost peppers multiple times, and never liked them. Don't get me wrong, I love spicy foods and it's not the heat that drives me away. It's that fact that aside from the heat, ghost peppers taste like absolute shit.

The stuff most easily available to me is Sriracha sauce. It's tastes good, and has a noticeable kick to it. Add a bit to barbecue sauce, ranch dressing, or fry sauce every time I go out and get something appropriate to eat.

I swear, I'm going to be miserable if I end up with heartburn issues when I get older. It'll force me to cut out nearly all of my favorite foods. Spicy stuff and peppers go good on nearly everything. You ever have jalapeno ranch over a bowl of chili-mac? It's not very spicy, admittedly, but it's freaking delicious!

#30 Magi_Hero

Magi_Hero

gubgub

• Members

Posted 23 March 2017 - 10:34 PM

Funny you mention Thai.

You need to ask them to make it spicier in many areas because one of two things:

1. It's Chinese made Thai and they make it not as spicy.

2. It's real Thai and they think you can't hang. :s

We have a place like the latter near my job.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users