Photo

Screenshot of the Week 330

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
28 replies to this topic

Poll: ! (54 member(s) have cast votes)

!

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#16 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 25 July 2011 - 12:33 AM

Was a toss up between Pabru and Cukeman for me this week. In the end I went with Cukeman because it's faithful to the original - right down to the fireflies - and the subscreen is clean and efficient.

Pabru's has a fresh palette, which is always welcome, but it also has a few design flaws, such as the immediate wall if Link enters from the North, plus long grass/bushes growing only in the middle of the path (when was the last time you walked on a path where the grass was LONGER than the grass beside the path?) Having to slash your way through the screen every time you visit is just... eh.

QUOTE(Nathaniel @ Jul 24 2011, 07:36 PM) View Post
Cukeman - 7/10
I like these graphics, and I like the idea of a hedge maze with a rolling boulder trap. You don't get to see that often. There are a few things that bug me about the screen to thus prevent me from putting it among the favorites of this week, though. Tree stumps trapped in corners or surrounded by walls on more than one side rarely look good to me. Also, what appears to be a grass ramp looks kind of confusing, but that is probably because you didn't leave enough room for it to require the space for it to look better. I love the placement of the trees. Also, that subscreen is awesome.
icon_blink.gif ... did you never play Ocarina of Time?

#17 Bayta

Bayta

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 25 July 2011 - 02:12 AM

Let's see here...

Pabru: Normally, I'd complain about unnatural coloring, but since it's a dream world of some kind, I actually kind of like it here. And it's for the most part a nicely-designed screen. 8.5/10

Jared: It's not a badly-designed screen, but I can't help but feel like it's little more than a showcase for graphics that, at least for the most part, aren't even yours. It looks nice, but there's nothing interesting going on here. Good graphics don't necessarily make a good screen. 6/10

King Harkinian: It seems awfully basic for SotW. Some of what I said about Jared's shot applies here: There's nothing going on. No enemies, no NPCs, not even a little obstacle like a lone tree in the middle to force the player to hit a different arrow key. The ground detail is also severely lacking. Also, I don't understand why people still make the grass in GB autumn shots orange. It was only orange in OoS due to color-restraints. But that's hardly my biggest complaint here. 5/10

William: Ahh, I love these kinds of screens. Some might call it too crowded, but that just means to me that there's more to do. The screen-design here is the kind I like the best, and the enhanced Z1 graphics suit it well. Excellent. 10/10

Yoshidude: There really isn't much bad I can say about this. But it does seem fairly... standard, I guess, for lack of a better word. It's not a bad screen, but it doesn't showcase anything new, and there isn't really anything too praise-worthy. 7.5/10

Lightwulf: I'd hardly call that much space with a total of five people "bustling." icon_razz.gif The custom graphics look decent, but as I said before, I don't like it when people use SotW primarily for showing off graphics. That, and the screen seems very empty, primarily due to those open corners. 5/10

Cukeman: Ya know, I think this might be the best 2D remake of that area I've ever seen. Well done! Though I do still wish MC mountains weren't so square... Also, what's up with that solid-color dirt? 8.5/10

Lithium: My complaints here have already been mentioned: The grass-to-sand transition is kind of odd, and I'm not too fond of the grass as a whole. But the screen-design itself is nice and solid. Fairly good overall. 7.5/10

(I made this post with a Dvorak keyboard and it took forrreeevvveeerrr...)

Edited by Beta Link, 25 July 2011 - 02:14 AM.

#18 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 25 July 2011 - 02:20 AM

Only the first, second and second last shot caught my eye the rest are... okay, but meh. I voted for Cukeman in the end.

#19 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 25 July 2011 - 04:16 AM

I voted for Pabru this time, because of the mood the screen gives. Looks like it is a really nice mixture between LA and Kirby for one reason or another.

Cukeman, your subscreen is wonderful, as is your screen and the general idea we've got going on here. I highly suggest to move the whole screen one or two tiles to the left, the scenery looks weirdly off focus. I know that you are trying to stay faithful to the original, but the way it is, that bottom left conor looks fairly boring. If you moved the screen like I suggested that problem might be elemintated (as their would simply not as much unused space on the bottom left of the screen). Some detail on the dirt path might also spice the thing up a little further. But, seriously, one of the coolest things I've seen in a while in ZC.

Jared, no-no icon_frown.gif You got the general idea, but there's still much off by my book. I highly recommand using SD3 maps as reference while making screens with ZD3. It takes a while until you learn the way they've placed their tiles, but once you do you can make screen design magic with my tileset. Also, the shadows are off (that would not have happened if you referenced SD3 maps, as you can look how they place the shadows; by the way, I tend to place the shadows wrong, too). You also used the wrong Cset on the mountains. Why would there be light green blobs all over the mountains? They are ment to be grey. :/
It's still pretty cool that people use my tileset. icon_smile.gif

#20 Twilight Knight

Twilight Knight

Tell all with glee, Argon's on PureZC

• Members

Posted 25 July 2011 - 04:18 AM

Voted for Cukeman, wonderful recreation of OoT. If you are remaking this quest or making a sequel... wow, good luck bud and really looking forward to it. I assume that rolling rock is made of FFCs? All magnificent!

Edit: And what Sheik91 said would make it even more wonderful, great suggestion.

Edited by Twilight_Knight, 25 July 2011 - 04:19 AM.

#21 Rastael

Rastael

Wizard

• Members

Posted 25 July 2011 - 05:04 AM

Vote for Cukeman. Great pic, are you planning a OoT-Remake? ^^

#22 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 25 July 2011 - 11:19 AM

QUOTE(NoeL @ Jul 25 2011, 01:33 AM) View Post

icon_blink.gif ... did you never play Ocarina of Time?

Must be my fuzzy memory, as I only played through it once from start to finish (I never owned it), and that was a long while ago. Thus I am not your ideal fan for the Zelda series as a whole.

#23 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 25 July 2011 - 11:32 AM

@NoeL: Thanks for the praise, I think Nathaniel was just coming from the standpoint of how my
shot could be better if it were designed as a screenshot that was great to look at. It's really only designed
for gameplay and recreation accuracy. My screen would be better placed in a "Recreation of the Week"
contest.

Beta Link: I'm still on the fence about the solid-color dirt. I will probably need to make
some custom MC tiles, because pitted dirt doesn't really make sense in this case. I was going
to make kind of a shallow furrow where the rock had been making a rut in the dirt, but the
dirt graphics in OoT were flat originally.

Sheik91: I see how I could make the trees on the right staggered if I moved everything
one tile over, I am just concerned about the screen north of this one - it would look strange
if the Hole of "Z" was off-center. I really wanted to find a way to add the sign about the Kokiri
Sword by the tree stump, but that would make that area disproportionately larger than the rest
of the paths. It's kind of a toss-up, but I will try moving things left and see what I can do with it icon_smile.gif .

King Harkinian:
What you see is all the MC tiles I've done so far, but I'm bringing in some more.

Twilight_Knight:
Yup, FFCs.

Lord Settra!:
That's an impossibly huge task (or so it seems to me). At the moment, I only plan on making
empty OoT maps to explore. Maybe someday someone will want to add some custom enemies
to it.

EDIT: Lol! I just realized there are no Super Bombs in OoT! Maybe I should have
replaced that with Bombchus for this screenshot. Although I have to admit, the subcreen
wasn't designed "wrong", I was simply reworking the classic subscreen with MC graphics.

Edited by Cukeman, 25 July 2011 - 01:11 PM.

#24 Pabru

Pabru

Recipient of Ways

• Members

Posted 25 July 2011 - 06:35 PM

I dont think im experienced enough to critique others work, but I do have a comment for Cukeman. Despite the weird solid ground sections and the boring lower left corner, the OoT goodness makes me giddy and Im really excited to see a map.

#25 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 25 July 2011 - 06:39 PM

Hm, you don't even have to be experienced. Much of the comments is blathering anyways, it all boils down to wether you like a screen or not and than why.

#26 DarkFlameWolf

DarkFlameWolf

Murana Wolford

• Members

Posted 27 July 2011 - 08:24 AM

I don't care about new, awesome graphics no one has seen before. Graphics don't make the screenshot. Its how you use said graphics that gets my vote. Pabru and his excellent use of GBZ is what earned him my vote. Its a hard set to make look awesome, but it is possible.

#27 Professor Bedwetter

Professor Bedwetter

Strangers when we meet

• Members

Posted 27 July 2011 - 04:11 PM

Pabru: Nice looking screen, not a whole lot of space, but at least it has function and a purpose. 9/10

Jared: SotW bait. There is nothing unique about this screen except for graphics. However I do appreciate your good use of these graphics. 6/10

King Harkinian: Empty Empty Empty. The clump of trees is so ugly. However the screen's shape itself is nice, and good job closing corners. 4/10

William: You have mastered classic tilesetmanship. The canopy doesn't really work though. 8/10

Yoshidude: Honestly there is nothing that detracts or adds to this screen, its not bad, its just a bit above average in every way possible. It is a good screen, just not SotW material. 7/10

Lightwulf: I do not care if it's a market or something, the screen is empty and close your corners. 4/10

Cukeman: Hey look, someone who isn't using MC graphics just to get a win. Nicely designed screen. Good balance mountain and walk-able area. 7/10

Lithium: Wow Bad BAd BAd BADBBDA BAd you Are BAD At Screen Design STOP IT. 7/10

#28 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 27 July 2011 - 05:35 PM

Hmmmm. All of the shots I'm considering voting for use different tilesets. I can't decide.

#29 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 31 July 2011 - 09:58 PM

Pabru - 18 votes = [36.00%]
Jared - 4 votes = [8.00%]
King Harkinian - 1 vote = [2.00%]
William - 6 votes = [12.00%]
Yoshidude - 2 votes = [4.00%]
Lightwulf - 2 votes = [4.00%]
Cukeman - 13 votes = [26.00%]