Photo

Screenshot of the Week 98

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
37 replies to this topic

Poll: Screenshot of the Week 98 (68 member(s) have cast votes)

Screenshot of the Week 98

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#16 phil

phil

Master

• Members

Posted 12 September 2005 - 03:58 PM

I voted for raiden, I really like the tree shaped house.

#17 Theryan

Theryan

Burrito

• Members

Posted 12 September 2005 - 04:13 PM

same here. Looks like Serenia is going through this whole quest to kill Link... Interesting plot twist icon_razz.gif

#18 EcKoRed

EcKoRed

Recipient of Ways

• Members

Posted 12 September 2005 - 04:42 PM

wtf.. to kill link? icon_razz.gif I thought it was to give him back the Notes of his music.

#19 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 12 September 2005 - 05:15 PM

Hahaa... You see, Hero Link, this is what happens when you tell people you don't have enough screenshots and then give them 24 hours to submit. icon_wink.gif At least you didn't break 10.

Tobias Daboi:

This is a nice-looking screen; you've managed to get a lot of depth and detail out of Pure's mountain and water tiles. It looks great. icon_smile.gif The only thing I'd mention is that personally, I don't think shoreline looks good when it doubles over on itself like that. I can tell you intend it to be an obstacle that requires the Ladder, but it looks weird that way. I dunno.

Jake:

Lookin' decent. Personally, I'd put a bit more brown in this palette. The shyguys are a little strange for Zelda, but they look good. It'd also probably make more sense to have the grass next to the lava dying and leaving bare dirt where it used to be. Lava's a killer, man.

Mr. Z:

A good shot, but unfortunately most of the detail is covered up by the text box. :\ Perhaps a different screen in this same area would have worked better for SOTW. Your Gerudo hideout is looking a lot like what I've got planned for mine... Anyway, I like it, even though a lot of it is covered up.

Nicklegends:

I frown whenever I see a palette this dark entered into SOTW, but not because it looks ugly... rather, because it always obscures a ton of details that we might otherwise appreciate. icon_frown.gif Next time it might be better to take a screenshot in a lighter palette. It's okay if it isn't as dark as it will be in-game. Maybe then we'll see more of your well-thought-out detail.

UBP:

Yeah, I won't lie; this is no SOTW-winner... but it's definitely interesting. The lava edges look good. I'm kinda wondering about the lava falls, though. Why so square? Also, it probably would've been better not to take the shot in ZQuest, especially with "show misaligns" turned on. icon_shrug.gif

Gashin:

Absolutely excellent. But if you're trying to showcase your palettes, I definitely think it's getting way too bright. The tiles are perfect, but they look too high contrast and unnatural in that light. Still, though; lookin' good. icon_smile.gif

By the way, are those treetops from MC or custom drawn?

Hylian Legend:

Hey, this looks like Deluge Temple. icon_smile.gif Probably just because it uses the same colors, though.

Pretty good all around, but I'd definitely add some torches, and perhaps some other stuff. Not statues, since it's an aquaduct, but perhaps some... well... ducts, I guess. With water flowing from them.

mighty_darknut:

There's this fad of making animated gifs for SOTW; I'm afraid I originally encouraged it by submitting several... it's not like it hurts the shot, but it's quite unnecessary here.

The screen itself is pretty nice. Putting the claws around the doorway worked well. I wouldn't change much about this screen if I were you. icon_smile.gif

Me:

Not gonna critique myself, of course, but I wanted to provide some info.

Thanks to Gashin for taking a screenshot of the tree interiors from Minish Cap for me. I did all the ripping after that and also a bit of editing, but I just thought I should mention he gave me a hand. icon_smile.gif

Whoah, I'm still contending against Gashin! He'll probably win, but I'm glad the shot went over well. icon_smile.gif It'd been lying around my ZC folder for awhile...

#20 link3505

link3505

Ancient

• Members

Posted 12 September 2005 - 06:21 PM

QUOTE(Radien @ Sep 12 2005, 03:15 PM)
By the way, are those treetops from MC or custom drawn?

they're originally from Minish Cap, but I edited them to fit in with the other tiles

#21 Sharon Daniel

Sharon Daniel

• Banned

Posted 12 September 2005 - 07:42 PM

QUOTE(Radien @ Sep 12 2005, 06:15 PM)
mighty_darknut:

There's this fad of making animated gifs for SOTW; I'm afraid I originally encouraged it by submitting several... it's not like it hurts the shot, but it's quite unnecessary here.

Your right, the animation doesn't really show anything important.
I originally animated it to put in my sig, otherwise I would have submitted a still shot.

#22 nicklegends

nicklegends

Trofessional Pransposer

• Contributors
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 12 September 2005 - 07:57 PM

QUOTE(Radien @ Sep 12 2005, 03:15 PM)
Nicklegends:

I frown whenever I see a palette this dark entered into SOTW, but not because it looks ugly... rather, because it always obscures a ton of details that we might otherwise appreciate. icon_frown.gif Next time it might be better to take a screenshot in a lighter palette. It's okay if it isn't as dark as it will be in-game. Maybe then we'll see more of your well-thought-out detail.

Yeah, now that you menition it, it does seem a bit dark, especially when placed next to two others that are a whole lot brighter. I suppose it should also be taken into account how different people's monitors are. The inspiration for my shot came from Sashomaru's SOTW 88 shot, but it obviously didn't turn that way. icon_shrug.gif

Thank you for the advice. icon_thumbsup.gif

Edited by nicklegends, 12 September 2005 - 08:00 PM.

#23 Jonathan

Jonathan

Wizard

• Members

Posted 12 September 2005 - 11:47 PM

pretty much if Gashin enters this contest every one else loses, because of his greatness! Only, PolygonX8 and Raiden could stand a chance!

what about Prince?hes awesome too

#24 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 13 September 2005 - 03:58 AM

QUOTE(theryan @ Sep 12 2005, 01:13 PM)
same here.  Looks like Serenia is going through this whole quest to kill Link... Interesting plot twist icon_razz.gif

Dude... it's just a joke. icon_wink.gif

QUOTE(Gashin @ Sep 12 2005, 03:21 PM)
they're originally from Minish Cap, but I edited them to fit in with the other tiles

Oh really? Well, good job then. icon_smile.gif Not all such MC edits I've seen have turned out that nice. icon_thumbsup.gif

QUOTE(mighty_darknut @ Sep 12 2005, 04:42 PM)
Your right, the animation doesn't really show anything important.
I originally animated it to put in my sig, otherwise I would have submitted a still shot.

Ah, I see. icon_razz.gif Well, fair's fair. Anyway, it's a good screen.

nicklegends:

Yeah, the thing is, PureZC's bright background sorta washes out darker shots. Maybe if this were a site that used a black background and white text (I think ZCN does that), then darker shots would be easier to see, simply because your eyes would focus differently.

I'm sure it will look just fine in the actual quest. icon_smile.gif But yeah, screenshots will look different.

jonathan:

Despite not entering often, Prince is still around... but he seems oddly unsatisfied with his tile work after seeing Minish Cap. Which I think is ridiculous, because I have yet to hear anyone claim that Minish Cap makes Adventure Island obsolete, other than PrinceMSC himself. Go figure. icon_shrug.gif

#25 HylianLegend

HylianLegend

• Members

Posted 13 September 2005 - 12:05 PM

Null vote. As always, Gashin, you've got it. icon_wink.gif

#26 bastian

bastian

Recipient of Ways

• Members

Posted 13 September 2005 - 01:45 PM

Is the sword in Radien's shot the Magic Sword from the cover of AoL? It looks like it. It's amazingly drawn.

#27 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 13 September 2005 - 04:09 PM

QUOTE(bastian @ Sep 13 2005, 10:45 AM)
Is the sword in Radien's shot the Magic Sword from the cover of AoL? It looks like it. It's amazingly drawn.

It's a very highly edited version of something from Tales of Phantasia. The item sprites from that game are great for hilt and blade ideas. ToP was known for its item sprites, though, because they are about 32x32 pixels in size, so I had to do a good deal of editing to get what you see there. I haven't yet decided how I'm going to use the sprite, or even whether it'll be that color (I mean... it's got a green blade right now. It's a bit weird as-is icon_razz.gif).

The boots in the corner are also an edited version of something from ToP. The horizontal bed was a personal edit of some existing tiles.

#28 Linkus

Linkus

• Members

Posted 13 September 2005 - 06:37 PM

I can't decide between Gashin and Raiden...
(Null Vote)

Gashin: what was wrong wioth your pevoius pallete? I thought it was perfectly OK, since the previous design of the palette fit in with a welcoming feel for Galespring Village.

Raiden:Actually, this is nothing new to me. I know the interior walls of the tree very well; It's from the MC tiles. The sword, actually, doesn't fit in just right to me; I'd think something a little with more standard design (sorry) fits the time of OoT.

#29 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 14 September 2005 - 06:30 AM

QUOTE(Linkus Mastii @ Sep 13 2005, 03:37 PM)
Raiden:Actually, this is nothing new to me. I know the interior walls of the tree very well; It's from the MC tiles. The sword, actually, doesn't fit in just right to me; I'd think something a little with more standard design (sorry) fits the time of OoT.

Yes, it's Minish Cap... but it still took a lot of work to get it working in that palette. Plus, I wouldn't have submitted it at all if it didn't have other custom tiles as well.

Oh well.

You're referring to the sword's tile drawing and not the coloring, aren't you? Well, the thing is, I've resolved not to make Serenia into my own personal replacement for Link. icon_razz.gif Thus, she isn't the Hero of Time, and she won't be able to use the Master Sword. She'll instead find her own magical weaponry... well, when it comes to swords, at least. :\

That particular sword may end up being late-game. I dunno. We'll see.

Hmm... looks like mine's catching up a bit... I wonder if I'll give Gashin some competition at this rate. icon_razz.gif

#30 Lemon

Lemon

Legend

• Members

Posted 14 September 2005 - 07:33 AM

I would enter some pics in these contests but Im to scared icon_lol.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users