Photo

LoZ: Eternal Recurrence

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

Poll: Rating (12 member(s) have cast votes)

How would you rate this?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Neptune

Neptune

Grand Overlord Empress

• Forum Moderators

Posted 09 November 2009 - 09:17 AM

LoZ: Eternal Recurrence
by Xiion
A Brief History
This is my first and, so far, only 'complete' quest. I started this way back when (2005ish) when I first learned of Zelda classic. Worked on it on and off for about 2 years (while in college, no less). Around early 2006, I stopped working on it at about 80% complete, and didn't work on it for about a year. When I came back to it, my superpower triggered (I get better at things the longer I go without doing them. Yeah, its freaky) and I decided to go back and redo the entire overworld, as well as a couple of dungeons I just didn't feel worked. About 6 months later, I had finished my upgrade, played through it a couple of times myself, and then... nothing really. I tried sharing it with some of my friends, but they are, for reasons I'm in denial about, scared to touch it because they know its crazy difficult (Ok, to be fair, in the past, custom mods I've made for other games have tended to be a bit difficult/impossible). I did manage to get one person to play through lvl 1, and he gave me some good feedback, which I went back and implemented because I agreed with him, but that's ever as far as he got. So... I sat on it...

Why Now?
Right after I finished the quest and put it down, life sneak attacked me with college, round 2. Just a bit of a distraction. In my off time, I started planning out my next quest, and really wanted to get other people to play the first, but I never found the time. Once that ended a few months ago, that wasn't an issue. I went to submit, but was denied by Purezc's 'no 2.5 quests' rule (to which I say grrr, but hold them at no fault for). But now that I'm actually starting up work on my new quest, I really do want to get some feedback on my work, not so much to fix past mistakes, but more to prevent future ones. So, here we go once again. This time, with enthusiasm!

Enough babble about my life, you want to know about the quest!

Plot and Quest Overview
What, you want a Plot you say? Lets see here...

Many years ago prince darkness "Gannon" stole one of the Triforce with power. Princess Zelda had one of the Triforce with wisdom. She divided it into "8" units to hide it from "Gannon" before she was captured. Go find the "8" units "Link" to save her.

Back in my day, that's all we needed to call a quest good.

No seriously, When I first planned out this quest, I made a pact with myself (A bit more history, sorry): This was going to be a traditional Zelda quest. No fancy plot, no fancy new thingamajiggers, just good old classic tiles/items/plot/whatnot. I wanted to learn Zqwest, and this was the tutorial. I started making this in 2.10, there wasn't as much room to expand beyond that beyond better graphics, so I could deal with that. 9 Dungeons, one big overworld, easy stuff. After about dungeon 4-5, and with about 50% of the overworld made, I became a bit more flexible. Now that I was comfortable with the system, I decided to poke at some of the non-traditional stuff. Like optional dungeons, free-form dungeons, new graphics, etc.. I tried to use each new dungeon to learn something new. When I came back from my first hiatus, I found myself with a series unusual problems, all with a single answer in the form of 2.5. Whoo upgrades, tons of new features, and tons of overpowered new things! JOY! Stuff that I only really dabbled with; being 80% done and suddenly adding in tons of new things would have made for a real shock playing. So I limited myself to what upgrades got implemented.
Long story short, It says it's 2.5, but don't expect a lot of 2.5 features.

So in the end, I ended up with a mostly classic quest:
9 Main dungeons
5 Side dungeons, 3 of them optional
All classic items, +1 Super-secret-special-game-breaking bonus item! It sounds way cooler than it really is, but in a classic setting, its stupid good.
Traditional enemies, +1 Completely custom!
Devious puzzles! Nefarious traps!
Upgraded classic graphics!
All this and more!

The quest is geared to a difficulty about slightly harder than the 2nd quest, with the tricks building from there.

Screen Shots

Because text is boring. Most of these are old, but finished quests hardly change.
IPB Image IPB Image
IPB Image IPB Image
IPB Image IPB Image

Download
I've been keeping up with the patch notes, and I think it should work just fine in any 2.5 from 254 onward. I checked 1032, and everything works fine there, I don't see a reason why it wouldn't work on the latest version.
Here's the link:
DOWNLOAD

Have fun, and leave some feed back. If you need help, or, heaven forbid, find a bug, let me know and I'll see what I can do to help.

#2 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 09 November 2009 - 09:37 AM

Wow. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, I love the graphics! Best use of the classic set ever! I'll be sure to rate it once I try the quest out.

#3 Cameron

Cameron

Illustrious

• Members

Posted 09 November 2009 - 01:39 PM

I have to aggree with Russ that is a great use of Classic tileset. It has so much more depth.

#4 SpikeReynolds

SpikeReynolds

Ironically bald furry

• Members

Posted 09 November 2009 - 05:41 PM

I'm diggin' this game pretty hard-core, man. Everything about it excites me. The gameplay, the graphics, the atmosphere. The dungeons seem bland in comparison to the overland, but I still love it.

#5 SpacemanDan

SpacemanDan

• Members

Posted 09 November 2009 - 06:47 PM

The screenies look awesome. Haven't gotten to play it yet, but looks great. icon_smile.gif

#6 Xiion

Xiion

Senior

• Members

Posted 09 November 2009 - 08:13 PM

The dungeons seem bland in comparison to the overland, but I still love it.

Yeah, its a bit tragic that I didn't put as much time into the dungeons as I did the overworld. Though, they DO get a bit more exciting as you progress. I made them in order, with the exception of lv 5, which was completely remade at the end, so I like to see it as my progression as a questmaker/dungeon designer. Well, minus the detailing, 'cause that was all done at the end icon_razz.gif

#7 Zenith

Zenith

Old Guard

• Members

Posted 11 November 2009 - 04:12 PM

I'm stuck. I have no idea where Level 3 could be, or if there's anything else I can get right now besides the Blue Candle and Magic Shield.

#8 Xiion

Xiion

Senior

• Members

Posted 11 November 2009 - 11:23 PM

Ahhh, the first question, of many I'm sure icon_twisted.gif

If you've beaten level 2, you should be able to find: the letter and the bracelet, plus what's buyable. Both are located in mini dungeons, one of which is very close to level 2.
Level 3 is in the green mountain range in the south-east. It requires a bit more... intuitive use of level 2's item to reach.

#9 Harken

Harken

• Members

Posted 18 November 2009 - 10:34 PM

Yes! I love NES graphics! This looks like one of the most well done NES quests! I give it a 10/10! Though that does sound quite biased...haha!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users