Photo

Link's Awakening remake title

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

Poll: blarg

blarg

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Bayta

Bayta

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 15 July 2010 - 12:39 PM

So basically, the name "Island of Dreams" is very unsubtle, as it's not revealed 'til a while through the game that Koholint Island is a dream. And that moment when you discover the truth, I think, is one of the best parts of Link's Awakening, and one of the best "Oh sh**!!!" moments in video game history. I want my remake to retain that whole drama.

So, I want a new name for it, that doesn't have the word "dream" in it. I've got a few possible titles so far, and if anyone can come up with another, better one, that'd be great too.

#2 Moo2wo

Moo2wo

Yes, you're seeing this.

• Members

Posted 15 July 2010 - 12:48 PM

I like Island of the Wind Fish. If someone were browsing the database, and saw the name "Island of Wind Fish" they would be able to know it had something to do with Link's Awakening...that made very little sense.

#3 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 15 July 2010 - 05:05 PM

Haha, this topic isn't very subtle either. icon_wink.gif I dunno, maybe I should give up on the idea that anybody cares about Link's Awakening spoilers anymore. I haven't played much further than the first dungeon, and I already know the Big Spoiler for the game, too.

If you're going for a more subtle name, I say don't go with Sleeping God. "Island of the Wind Fish" is all right, but I'd call it "isle" instead of "island," just because it sounds more like a title.

Sorry if I unsettled you by calling it "unsubtle." It's just an old Gameboy title, so maybe I'm taking the story too seriously. Very few Gameboy games took themselves seriously back then. The frequent Super Mario references in LA should be a clue to that.

#4 Bayta

Bayta

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 15 July 2010 - 05:26 PM

QUOTE(Radien @ Jul 15 2010, 07:05 PM) View Post
Haha, this topic isn't very subtle either. icon_wink.gif I dunno, maybe I should give up on the idea that anybody cares about Link's Awakening spoilers anymore. I haven't played much further than the first dungeon, and I already know the Big Spoiler for the game, too.

If you're going for a more subtle name, I say don't go with Sleeping God. "Island of the Wind Fish" is all right, but I'd call it "isle" instead of "island," just because it sounds more like a title.

Sorry if I unsettled you by calling it "unsubtle." It's just an old Gameboy title, so maybe I'm taking the story too seriously. Very few Gameboy games took themselves seriously back then. The frequent Super Mario references in LA should be a clue to that.
This topic isn't very subtle? I dunno what you're talking about. icon_deformed.gif

Don't worry about unsettling me; I wish more people would give me advice as far as the text in the game goes. And you're absolutely right, that "Island of Dreams" isn't very subtle; I've just kept it as-is for such a long time because nobody's said anything against it.

But anyway, yeah, "Island (or Isle) of the Wind Fish" is starting to grow on me. I might stick with that.

#5 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 15 July 2010 - 06:06 PM

QUOTE(Beta Link @ Jul 15 2010, 04:26 PM) View Post
This topic isn't very subtle? I dunno what you're talking about. icon_deformed.gif

I'm not sure if you're just being sarcastic, but I'll explain anyway: the first post still comes pretty close to spoilers. Nothing huge, though.

QUOTE(Beta Link @ Jul 15 2010, 04:26 PM) View Post
Don't worry about unsettling me; I wish more people would give me advice as far as the text in the game goes. And you're absolutely right, that "Island of Dreams" isn't very subtle; I've just kept it as-is for such a long time because nobody's said anything against it.

But anyway, yeah, "Island (or Isle) of the Wind Fish" is starting to grow on me. I might stick with that.

Sorry if I barged in late to the scene. It's definitely not that "Island of Dreams" sounds bad, though it's not quite as distinctive as some of the alternatives.

I hope you manage to get as far as possible on this project. LA is the next most feasible game to be remade in ZC, behind the original Zelda and BS Zelda.

#6 Bayta

Bayta

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 15 July 2010 - 06:16 PM

QUOTE(Radien @ Jul 15 2010, 08:06 PM) View Post

I'm not sure if you're just being sarcastic, but I'll explain anyway: the first post still comes pretty close to spoilers. Nothing huge, though.
Oh! I thought you were referring to how obvious it was that your comment that I should change the title prompted me to make this thread.

#7 4matsy

4matsy

SHE WILL WAKE ONLY WITH THE POWER OF NO. 3 CHEESEFORCE

• Members

Posted 15 July 2010 - 07:30 PM

Seeing as how the original Japanese subtitle was "Dreaming Island", I'd say "Island of Dreams" is perfectly usable for a remake. icon_razz.gif

I do like how "Isle of the Wind Fish" sounds, though; the Wind Fish is mentioned constantly almost from the beginning of the game, so it also fits quite well, I think.

#8 Moosh

Moosh

fug :DD

• Members

Posted 16 July 2010 - 01:29 PM

Now let me remind y'all before you start going all ZOMG SPOILARS that the original gameboy game was called Link's Awakening, which pretty much tipped me off on the whole big plot twist as soon as I first started playing. I think that chances are by now most Zelda fans have either played, watched a playthrough, of or read about Link's Awakening. Although I agree that the name should be changed (I keep mixing it up with Hero of Dreams, IDK why), I don't feel that spoilers should be the main reason. As for the name, I say Isle of the Wind Fish. Or possibly because of previous arguments Isle of the Eternal Dreamer?

#9 Old-Skool

Old-Skool

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 16 July 2010 - 04:44 PM

I kinda liked your old name, but it is a bit more spoilerific than even the game's original title (lol is it cuz link awakenz in marins howze??)

This might be a good time to bring something up though.

I'm not 100%ing this, so if anyone can look up the actual plot from the Japanese version, it'd be helpful. Some "rumors" circulate that in the Japanese version, Link was not comatose, but rather trapped in purgatory, fighting to return to the realm of the living. Can anyone confirm this as bull or not? Because it could be the source of some nice names.

Edited by Old-skool, 16 July 2010 - 04:45 PM.

#10 Shane

Shane

Epic Gamer

• Members

Posted 16 July 2010 - 07:51 PM

What about: the Secerts of Koholint Island or just Koholint Island

#11 Moo2wo

Moo2wo

Yes, you're seeing this.

• Members

Posted 16 July 2010 - 08:47 PM

QUOTE(Old-skool @ Jul 16 2010, 05:44 PM) View Post

I kinda liked your old name, but it is a bit more spoilerific than even the game's original title (lol is it cuz link awakenz in marins howze??)

This might be a good time to bring something up though.

I'm not 100%ing this, so if anyone can look up the actual plot from the Japanese version, it'd be helpful. Some "rumors" circulate that in the Japanese version, Link was not comatose, but rather trapped in purgatory, fighting to return to the realm of the living. Can anyone confirm this as bull or not? Because it could be the source of some nice names.

If that rumor's true, how about "Legend of Zelda: Return to Life".

#12 Bayta

Bayta

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 16 July 2010 - 09:03 PM

QUOTE(Old-skool @ Jul 16 2010, 06:44 PM) View Post

I can't read Japanese so I can't be 100% sure either, but I have a good feeling that that's not true. It seems way too dark for a Zelda game. Plus, the original title was "Dreaming Island," which I assume would imply sleep, not near-death. icon_unsettled.gif

I will say though, that it's a rather interesting idea, true or not.

QUOTE(Pokemonmaster64)
Now let me remind y'all before you start going all ZOMG SPOILARS that the original gameboy game was called Link's Awakening, which pretty much tipped me off on the whole big plot twist as soon as I first started playing. I think that chances are by now most Zelda fans have either played, watched a playthrough, of or read about Link's Awakening. Although I agree that the name should be changed (I keep mixing it up with Hero of Dreams, IDK why), I don't feel that spoilers should be the main reason. As for the name, I say Isle of the Wind Fish. Or possibly because of previous arguments Isle of the Eternal Dreamer?
Well to be fair, I was around 7 years old when I first played LADX, at which time I thought the title implied Link waking up in Marin's house. icon_heh.gif And yeah, it's true that most Zelda fans already know the story, plot twist, ending and all that, but I can guarantee you that if Nintendo remade the game with a new title, it wouldn't be something so give-away... ish. I know that everyone knows the story, but I treat this game the same as if it was an original creation: I try to explain everything properly, at the right times so that if, God forbid, the player doesn't know the story, it won't be spoiled or lost for them.

#13 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 17 July 2010 - 06:53 AM

I think PKM64 and Beta Link both make good points.

QUOTE(4matsy @ Jul 15 2010, 06:30 PM) View Post
Seeing as how the original Japanese subtitle was "Dreaming Island", I'd say "Island of Dreams" is perfectly usable for a remake. icon_razz.gif

I thought it was "Ballad of the Wind Fish"....

QUOTE(Old-skool @ Jul 16 2010, 03:44 PM) View Post

Considering it was the NA localization, I wouldn't dismiss such a lame explanation.

Of course, the fact that Link awakens and yet is still inside a dream means the name has a double meaning, so maybe the NA name isn't quite so lame after all.

QUOTE(Old-skool @ Jul 16 2010, 03:44 PM) View Post

I can't confirm or deny it, but I can say that the idea of purgatory is NOT common or popular in Japan. I have never heard it mentioned in a Japanese context... probably because the concept is primarily Catholic in origin, and it was borne from a sincere concern over what happens to the soul after death. If most Japanese don't hold those beliefs anyway, most of them won't be terribly concerned about the details of another religion's afterlife.

For instance, I know almost nothing about the Chinese hells, but I've certainly laughed at jokes about how there are "so many of them." Call me crass.

QUOTE(Midnight_King @ Jul 16 2010, 06:51 PM) View Post
What about: the Secerts of Koholint Island or just Koholint Island

The first one is not bad but kinda long... the second name, though, isn't very intriguing.

In order to ease pronunciation, as a rule, I think it's usually best to avoid proper names in titles, especially proper names that are long, uncommon, or made-up. "Koholint" is both long and made-up.

An alternative would be "Secret of the ______ Isle/Island" ....Insert an adjective that is not difficult to understand, easy to pronounce, and yet unique enough to be appealing.

Here's an example: "Professor Layton and the Curious Village." The title doesn't tell us the name of the village, but it uses a unique and descriptive word to tell us what to expect from the village (and the game).

#14 Alestance

Alestance

Saint Alestance - Eliminator of the ZGP format

• Members

Posted 17 July 2010 - 10:23 AM

The Legend of Zelda: Ballad of the Wind Fish.

I mean, seriously, its the biggest key point of the game besides that you're sleeping. After you pick up a key item, you hear that specific instrument's part in the Ballad of Windfish song.

#15 Snarwin

Snarwin

Still Lazy After All These Years

• Members

Posted 17 July 2010 - 01:36 PM

Wikipedia does has the Japanese name listed as "The Legend of Zelda: The Dreaming Island" ("Zeruda no Densetsu Yume o Miru Shima" in Japanese).

Personally, I don't think "Island of Dreams" is any more spoilery than "Link's Awakening," and I kind of liked that the title of the remake preserved the double-meaning of the original. To someone who hasn't either played or been spoiled for LA, the obvious interpretation of the title is that it's talking about the Wind Fish; it's only when you get to the southern Face Shrine (or if you've really been paying attention to the bosses' dialogue) that the game starts shoving the plot twist in your face.

If you're dead set on changing the title, though, my vote goes to "Ballad of the Wind Fish."

Also, off-topic: I always thought the name of the island was "Koholnit," with the N before the I, and I just realized I've been pronouncing it wrong my whole life.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users